Knights of the Sky (3 Viewers)

Yes I just got mine. It is my first John Jenkins. It is the most detailed and realistic model I have ever purchased. The weathering is very good. The only flaw is I wish they had a better looking box to store it in. Other than that it's very amazing. The Lothar figure is incredible too.
The underside is a light blue, seems accurate. I have only seen this type of color on a 109 (WW2 of course) in person so I'm not sure if how accurate it is on this DR1. Looks right on though. I'm very happpy with the model. Just be careful with it. Very delicate for sure.
Rob
Thanks for the post, RobC. I have 2 of the JJD tripes but I am really looking forward to this one. Agree about the Lothar vR figure. It catches his pose just great. The JJD aircraft are outstandingly detailed and weathered. The blue on the underside should be a light blue, with maybe some turquoise tint but that is open to interpretation. Sounds like the craft is a winner. Nice purchase. -- Al

Any thoughts on the KC planes in comparison to JJ? The price is about the same. They look good to me. Maybe a bit brighter than John's but not as realistic. I do like the fact that KC released them in a group so you can see all the possible options.

Thanks for the post, RobC. I have 2 of the JJD tripes but I am really looking forward to this one. Agree about the Lothar vR figure. It catches his pose just great. The JJD aircraft are outstandingly detailed and weathered. The blue on the underside should be a light blue, with maybe some turquoise tint but that is open to interpretation. Sounds like the craft is a winner. Nice purchase. -- Al
Got the Lothar von R tripe today and I must say "Wow!". It is a very colorful combination with the yellow, red, olive green, and turquoise blue underside. Just a magnificent model. IMO it is the best one yet. These aircraft just get better and better. Very satisfying that JJD corrected the cross error and that further evidence of his research is evident in the underside blue color that is often just done as a light sky blue. JJD has done a turquoise light/medium blue that appears quite accurate to me. The Fokker factory used this rather odd color quite liberally on it's aircraft as a base color and an underside color and the shade JJD has used looks pretty close to the color examples I have seen illustrated in several sources. The three tripes by JJD (Manfred's, Lothar's, and the Jacob's) all look great together on the shelf, along with their pilots and ground crew. Although it is not accurate to show them all together, time-line wise, that is the way I have chosen, as it is my Jagdgeschwader.:smile2: They are a terrific collection of aircraft and I look forward to what comes next. Thank you, JJD, you have made a wind in the wires man very happy.^&grin -- Al

I have seen the K&C WW1 planes ......and have 2 of Johns planes ....personally I will keep to Johns WW1 series.........^&grin

Any thoughts on the KC planes in comparison to JJ? The price is about the same. They look good to me. Maybe a bit brighter than John's but not as realistic. I do like the fact that KC released them in a group so you can see all the possible options.

Unfortunately not here in the UK as the K&C are priced at £195 compared to the JJD at £130. {sm2} Very nice looking all the same.

Jeff

My opinion is that the JJD aircraft are the finer, more realistic models. Since I have only seen pictures of KC, I can only opine that KC is aiming at a different collector than JJD. KC's offerings are much brighter, much cleaner in appearence, thus, not as realistic looking but just as nice in their own right, ie., the toy soldier look. Just from pictures, but the KC planes appear thicker in wing cross section than they should be and the struts are thicker than they should be, as well. This could well be because of the material used compared to the finer material that JJD chose to use. WW1 aircraft were delicate and lightweight and the JJD models convey this well. Also, only from pictures, it appears that the KC Albatros D-5 might have the D-3 tail skid, (I know, rivet counter stuff). IMO, displaying JJD aircraft with the KC aircraft will be like mixing gloss and matte figures, but since I do that anyway, it is of no particular concern to me but will be to others. One note on the realistic JJD vs. the clean KC; WW1 aircraft were crude by later standards, made out of wood and various linens (or canvas, if you will), with engines that threw fuel and oil that would accumulate on the aircraft and these craft operated from dirt field that naturally made the craft dirty, as well. WW1 aircraft were dirty and cruddy, with worn and faded paint, in most cases. JJD and KC have made different style choices (again, so it appears from the KC pictures) with JJD going for the used look and KC going for the showroom look. I prefer the "used" look and will continue to buy JJD but I won't rule out a sample by KC., as I do like the Voss Albatros. Remember, JMHO.:smile2: -- Al

I have ACE-04 Camel F2137 and D.R. Maclaren comming (he's a maple leaf )
also ACE-05 Fokker DR 1 yellow with Lothar and Jacobs
Preordered KC red Albatross and Voss and Goering figures
Anxious to see how they will match
I will post pictures
Maple Leaf

I have ACE-04 Camel F2137 and D.R. Maclaren comming (he's a maple leaf )
also ACE-05 Fokker DR 1 yellow with Lothar and Jacobs
Preordered KC red Albatross and Voss and Goering figures
Anxious to see how they will match
I will post pictures
Maple Leaf
Hello, Maple Leaf. It is an interesting point that was brought up a little earlier on this thread (I think), that all of JJD's Allied plane issues to this point, have been Maple Leafs. Brown, Bishop, and Maclaren, Canadians all. JJD's Bishop Nieuport 17 has a red maple leaf on it.^&grin -- Al

Al,
I agree with you on the Lothar Yellow Fokker. Whilst I am not an aircraft kind of guy this has been my favourite JJ plane so far. With apologies to the Red Baron but I find the Red Fokker too well known and find the yellow more interesting.

Regarding the Ambulance this has been my most popular JJ item ever and this includes figures (note some of the American series would not be as popular in Oz as in USA). Has got collectors buying who have not bought any JJ aircraft so it is appealing to not just WWI aviation collectors.

With no disrespect to our Canadian allies hopefully John will not be doing any more Canadian pilots/aircraft for a while {sm4}{sm4} Certainly need a British ace.

Regards
Brett

Also have the ambulance comming with planes
and preordered the german armored car
These are my first JJ purchases now that JJ are making
decent faces compare to previous cartoon faces like my freind calls them.

Just wanted to say how impressive this range is.
Any recommendations on how to best display these??
I normally don't get into WW1 but these are very exciting especially if they could be displayed hanging and in combat

Just wanted to say how impressive this range is.
Any recommendations on how to best display these??
I normally don't get into WW1 but these are very exciting especially if they could be displayed hanging and in combat

They are very light and I read from one dealer that John designed them that way so that they could be displayed hanging. Saw some at the Gettysburg show displayed that way using wires. Personally, I wouldn't do it because they are a bit fragile (one mishap and you will have a pile of parts) and there are no cockpit pilots.

They are very light and I read from one dealer that John designed them that way so that they could be displayed hanging. Saw some at the Gettysburg show displayed that way using wires. Personally, I wouldn't do it because they are a bit fragile (one mishap and you will have a pile of parts) and there are no cockpit pilots.

Are there any mfg. making sitting WW1 pilots that might fit into these planes? I want to display them in combat. ................................( OK,OK..I WANT TO PLAY WITH THEM..SO THERE! :redface2:) Michael

Are there any mfg. making sitting WW1 pilots that might fit into these planes? I want to display them in combat. ................................( OK,OK..I WANT TO PLAY WITH THEM..SO THERE! :redface2:) Michael
Good question. If there are, I would be all over them, too. I like the standing pilot figures just fine, but I would love to have seated pilots for the cockpits, as well. -- Al

My 2 cents is that I have always been a big sucker for anything WW1 aircraft. I grew up as a kid reading all the books available at that time. I confess to not being a real detail or rivet guy and mostly buy because they look cool. ( grew up a glossy collector :redface2:) I am so conflicted about buying this next generation of planes being offered. I have some Heco's tin stuff now and have tried to be loyal to them. I also believe my WW1 collector habits tend toward gloss and have glossed many matte offerings to make them fit in. But I am weakening with JJ planes and armored cars as well as the K/C stuff. Let's face it, Heco ( except for Louis )is near impossible to find and cost more than the new products. And then there is that $180 - $190 price tag for the new planes . I want them all and what do I sacrifice to create my new air force? And then, do I choose to gloss them....I hate to be me, some days...Michael

My 2 cents is that I have always been a big sucker for anything WW1 aircraft. I grew up as a kid reading all the books available at that time. I confess to not being a real detail or rivet guy and mostly buy because they look cool. ( grew up a glossy collector :redface2:) I am so conflicted about buying this next generation of planes being offered. I have some Heco's tin stuff now and have tried to be loyal to them. I also believe my WW1 collector habits tend toward gloss and have glossed many matte offerings to make them fit in. But I am weakening with JJ planes and armored cars as well as the K/C stuff. Let's face it, Heco ( except for Louis )is near impossible to find and cost more than the new products. And then there is that $180 - $190 price tag for the new planes . I want them all and what do I sacrifice to create my new air force? And then, do I choose to gloss them....I hate to be me, some days...Michael

Michael Corgi & Carousel1 make 1/48 First War 1 planes you may want to check out http://www.carousel1.com/aircraft.htm :smile2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back