Knox Gun Sled (1 Viewer)

whdamon

Corporal
Plan here is to document the process of building a vignette I made for the 2005 World Figure Expo in Boston, MA. The vignette is of General Knox and one of the 38 gun sleds in his Noble Train of artillery en route from Ticonderoga to Boston in 1776. The scale is 1/32nd and is made up of scratch built pieces, modified commercial castings, standard castings and even a Britain's toy dog. Enjoy
the next two photographs are of the finished piece.
front complete-resize.jpg
front angle-resize.jpg
The first step was to build the gun sled. It was made from balsa wood pieces. Of special note is the tow bar, and its elongated S shape. One of my early questions in drafting the concept of this vignette was how to keep the sled from sliding forward into the rear legs of the oxen when going down hill especially as every photo I saw had oxen pulling objects with chains, flexible foldup chains. I wasn't very successful in researching this on line, so decided to attend an Oxen pull at a local fair and find out how heavy logs were pulled downhill by oxen from logging the many mountains here in New England. Talk to experts and get expert experienced answers. The trick was the S shaped tow bar. Sitting low on the sled for better pull efficiency, but high on the neck yoke of the oxen to serve as a brake for down hill movement. No one at the pull had a sample as, you guessed it, Oxen pulls used chains on flat surfaces, but everyone had photos of the setup for logging in the mountains.
Find below photos of the gun sled in process. The cannon is an Irmie Risley piece metal casting from the late 60's all painting done in acrylics with artist oils used to weather or add depth and realism
Gun Sled in Process.jpg
Gun Sled before Ropes.jpg
to give the reader an idea of the magnitude of this journey I have included a map. The noble train passed through my home town of Wilbraham Mass, hence my enhanced interest in this project.. as a side note, while crossing the Hudson, one of the sled broke through the ice and sunk. Unbelievably, the men dove down and actually recovered the gun.
IMG_0382.GIF

After the sled was in place, next step was to find a suitable set of 1/32nd scale oxen to pull the damm thing. Best I could find were two metal oxen produced by Andrea of Spain. Originally in a kit to pull a 16th (?) century heavy field piece, but also available at the time as single items. I obviously placed an order and had them on my bench in no time. Beautifully sculpted with dynamic gestures the pieces were easily assembled, primed and painted in an acrylic undercoat with an artist oils finish coat. The yoke and town bar were next. Made from balsa wood and wire custom fit to the oxen and the sled. last photo. the finished hook up to sled. Note the rabbit. Always a rabbit, right?
The Oxen.jpg
Oxen in yoke fitup 2-resize.jpg
Oxen in yoke fitup-resize.jpg
wdamonoxen.jpg
Oxen and Teamster-resize.jpg

Wonderful job on every level, from researching, creating the balsa wood sledge and oxen hitch, painting the oxen and the canon, even including the rabbit!👍👍. I wish I had half your talent and creativity!

Great scene and wonderful story regarding the research. An ox pull, who knew? :smile2: Read about Knox's achievement but didn't know there was so much info regarding the route. Very much enjoyed this posting.

Photos of the trail markers here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Knox_Trail
Chris

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing how you built the diorama, Walt! That's an excellent piece!
Am I correct that Knox started life as a Phoenix Regency officer? He's a great conversion.

Prost!
Brad

Beautiful model, really impressive and very pleasing to the eye, thanks for sharing!
Tom

It's that you have shown us how you have made the sled, and your painting of the parts.

I love seeing artillery, especially unique a out of the normal range of sets produced.

Great to ready the historical account of how the gunners got their guns through in such harsh conditions,

well done,

John

Thanks for sharing how you built the diorama, Walt! That's an excellent piece!
Am I correct that Knox started life as a Phoenix Regency officer? He's a great conversion.

Prost!
Brad

To answer Brads question, Yes, the figure of Knox is a conversion of the Phoenix Regency Officer (Naval Officer I believe)
What made me pick this figure was his portly stature as you can see in the following two photos
Knox (2).jpg
Knox port 2.jpg
The conversion required the placement of Magic Sculpt to fatten and form a youth full face (Knox was in his 20's),
the adding of a cloak, boots and a Tricorn hat. The hat was quite the challenge. In the next photo you can see the cut in the head
where I added a shaped piece of plastic to form the rear of the hat and from there sculpt the hat. The left side of the hat
I must of formed,
removed and reformed 2 or 3 times before I got the symmetrical look I was trying to accomplish (frustrating)
DSC01704-resize.JPG

The figure was painted with an acrylic undercoat and a layer of artist oils to add depth
and richness to the colors
Knox Port 1a.jpg
The last photo is the finished piece placed in the vignette up on a rock precipice
looking down on the sled as it trudged up Butler hill in Wilbraham, MAss.
Knox on rock-resize.JPG

Hi Walt,

Excellent piece and great story! I love how you use multiple parts and also some vintage stuff! That is a very unique display piece. Keep them coming!

Rgds Victor

Hi Walt,

I've been a big fan of your work for many years and have always enjoyed seeing your entries each year at the MFCA show.

This Knox vignette is simply outstanding and a great example of your fine artistic abilities!!

Thank you so much for sharing this. It helps take the sting out of the cancellation of the MFCA show this year.

Mark

Looking at this again, I love the "Gut" as well as the expression of the Oxen!!!!!!!!!!! Very nice vignette, I am sure it has earned a place on your shelf with other of your wonderful creations.

Tom

Continuing on with the Knox Gun Sled Vignette.
Next a blurb on more of the history, but in the context of the celebration 44 years ago during the Bi-Centennial
of my hometown, Wilbraham MA. The Knox Noble Train passed through Wilbraham on its way to Boston. The vignette depicts its climb up Butler Hill, the highest point it had to cross in Wilbraham. The town erected a monument in the 1920's along the trail but in 1976 not only reenacted the trek with replica sleds and guns but also issued a Postal first day cover and commemorative brass coin. all pictured below.
IMG_0329-resize.jpg
IMG_6862-resize.JPG
Wilbraham Bronze Coin.jpg

The remaining figure in the vignette is the Teamster. He was a minor conversion of the El Fuego Royal American from the French and Indian War. 1/32 in scale. Exchanged the musket for a whip and painted in civilian clothes (artist oils over acrylic undercoat.)
IMG_9582.JPG
Teamster2-resize.jpg

Wouldn't it be great if WB did a set depicting Knox bringing the artillery from Ticonderoga to Boston.
I think it would be a good seller.....I'm down for at least two sets!
JJD or FL could do this as well but I think Ken and company should really jump on this.

Once the figures and gun sled were finished, the plan was to build the scene around them. I wanted to replicate a moment in time as the Noble Gun Train
passed through my hometown in the winter of 1775-1776. I chose the sled trudging up Butler Hill, the highest point in Wilbraham the train would need to pass.
It also worked well with the gestures of the oxen, straining to pull up hill.
I started with a very general positioning of the pieces to see how well the whole scene would fit on the base I had chosen (Photo 1) and then to construct
the forms that make up the hill out of wooden pieces (photo 2
Inprocess Knox Vig-resize.jpg
Laying out the hill 2-resize.jpg

The next step was to sculpt the hill and add the rock ledge formation that borders the road even to this day. The main material was Durhams Water
putty with some additions of magic sculpt to hold the ledge in place and finish off some of the rough places needing to be molded and smoothed out.
Before groundwork.jpg
After the base ground work was in place began the painting, detailing and adding stumps, brush, hoof and sled tracks, and of course the SNOW. A lot of adhesive and a bag of
Woodland scenics snow formed the base in multiple layers of the white stuff. Also puddles and icicles coming off the ledge were applied by dripping semi cured clear epoxy (15 years later this epoxy has severely yellowed and looks like hell)
knox first snow2-resize.jpg
A photo below of an overhead shot of the vignette after smaller animals were positioned and the last winterizing effects were applied
overheadview-resize.jpg

That's great to see how the diorama base has been constructed.

You have done a great job with this one, any others planned for in the coming months ????

John

That's great to see how the diorama base has been constructed.

You have done a great job with this one, any others planned for in the coming months ????

John
Thanks John
i only have some single figures in the queue at the moment, besides some of the Phoenix carriages,
i do however have documented a series of flat figures mounted on canvas backgrounds I painted if there is any interest.

keep those brushes moving and photos coming
WHD

Thanks John
i only have some single figures in the queue at the moment, besides some of the Phoenix carriages,
i do however have documented a series of flat figures mounted on canvas backgrounds I painted if there is any interest.

keep those brushes moving and photos coming
WHD

Hi Walt,

I'm interested...:):):)

Rgds Victor

Users who are viewing this thread

Back