Mike Tarantino's Toy Soldier Collection (1 Viewer)

I have about 18 of the 20 or so Franco-Prussian War sets made by Quality Model Soldiers. I need to photograph all of them when I get a chance; when I do so, I will open a new thread under "Other Glossy Manufacturers" to provide a record of QMS's production. Interestingly, the sets are numbered as Box 1, Box 2, etc., rather than Set 1, Set 2, etc.

Here is a photo of Box No. 6, 10TH BATTALION FRENCH CHASSEURS A PIED. Note the craggy nature of the facial sculpts.

Attachments

• QMS 6.JPG
    QMS 6.JPG
    342.7 KB · Views: 195
I have about 18 of the 20 or so Franco-Prussian War sets made by Quality Model Soldiers. I need to photograph all of them when I get a chance; when I do so, I will open a new thread under "Other Glossy Manufacturers" to provide a record of QMS's production. Interestingly, the sets are numbered as Box 1, Box 2, etc., rather than Set 1, Set 2, etc.

Here is a photo of Box No. 6, 10TH BATTALION FRENCH CHASSEURS A PIED. Note the craggy nature of the facial sculpts.
These are charming figures of a much neglected period. I like these very much.^&cool -- Al

These are charming figures of a much neglected period. I like these very much.^&cool -- Al

Thanks, Al, I couldn't agree more about this being a neglected war and that the figures are charming. I am not aware of any other manufacturer doing the Franco-Prussian War on this scale (i.e. 20 sets) in 54mm.

This is Quality Model Soldiers BOX No. 4, 1ST REGIMENT FRENCH IMPERIAL GUARD GRENADIERS. Note the field caps they are wearing. BTW, all QMS's Franco-Prussian War sets are for specific units rather than generic, which I find appealing. Also, this is a second type of box they used which has a more attractive label.

Attachments

• QMS 4.JPG
    QMS 4.JPG
    566.5 KB · Views: 187
I just noticed something unusual in the two Quality Model Soldiers sets above: The officers are leading off with their left feet while the men are leading off with their right feet.

This is Quality Model Soldiers BOX No. 4, 1ST REGIMENT FRENCH IMPERIAL GUARD GRENADIERS. Note the field caps they are wearing. BTW, all QMS's Franco-Prussian War sets are for specific units rather than generic, which I find appealing. Also, this is a second type of box they used which has a more attractive label.
Another attractive set with a nice combination of colors, very French. The caps appear to be what was called the 'police bonnet'. The pattern was copied as a standard for wear in WW1 when not wearing the helmet. Was also copied by the US Army when the campaign hats were discontinued during WW1. I think. -- Al

Another attractive set with a nice combination of colors, very French. The caps appear to be what was called the 'police bonnet'. The pattern was copied as a standard for wear in WW1 when not wearing the helmet. Was also copied by the US Army when the campaign hats were discontinued during WW1. I think. -- Al

Thanks Al, I believe you are right about the name of those caps. In the 1960s U.S. Army, they were officially called Garrison Caps, but we had a more colorful name for them.

Thanks Al, I believe you are right about the name of those caps. In the 1960s U.S. Army, they were officially called Garrison Caps, but we had a more colorful name for them.

Recall the nickname well, I avoided the garrison cap and wore the other one.

I checked my Quality Model Soliers list and there appear to be 21 Franco-Prussian War sets; I have 20 of them. They are numbered 1 through 9 with each number having at least two variations. For example, sets (boxes) 4 through 9 have two versions: the first set is always marching while the second "A" set is in action. The first three sets are Sliesians, Prussians, and Bavarians, each of which has 3 sets, including a "B" set which is a single flag bearer.

Here is a photo of of BOX No. 6A, 10th FRENCH BATTALION CHASSEURS A PIED which you can compare with BOX No. 6 above in post #521.

Attachments

• QMS.JPG
    QMS.JPG
    283.4 KB · Views: 188
Last year I commissioned this special, non-catalog set from Hiriart for me and six other collectors which Hirart subsequently added to their catalog as Set 1354 THE KING'S AFRICAN RIFLES, 1914. It was based on an Osprey Men-at-Arms colour plate that I sent them. Similar KARs have also been done by Beau Geste with seven figures.

Attachments

• 100_2545.JPG
    100_2545.JPG
    339.4 KB · Views: 229
  • 100_2546.JPG
    100_2546.JPG
    305 KB · Views: 360
Here are some more pictures of Hiriart's Set 1354 THE KING'S AFRICAN RIFLES, 1914, including close-ups of individual figures.

Attachments

• 1354 King's African Rifles, 1914.JPG
    1354 King's African Rifles, 1914.JPG
    305.6 KB · Views: 427
  • 1354 Officer.JPG
    1354 Officer.JPG
    200.2 KB · Views: 207
  • 1354 flag.JPG
    1354 flag.JPG
    205.2 KB · Views: 175
  • 1354 Bugler.JPG
    1354 Bugler.JPG
    201.3 KB · Views: 178
  • 1354 trooper.JPG
    1354 trooper.JPG
    198.3 KB · Views: 177
This is a stock photo of my Hiriart Set 1258 FOLGORE PARACHUTE INFANTRY DIVISION, ITALIA. I believe that this division was destroyed in the fighting at the Battle of El Alamein.

Attachments

• 1258 Italian Folgore Division Paras.JPG
    1258 Italian Folgore Division Paras.JPG
    229.1 KB · Views: 202
The KAR's are very attractive figures. The khaki and blue combo is nice and the flag sets off the set. Nice. -- Al

The KAR's are very attractive figures. The khaki and blue combo is nice and the flag sets off the set. Nice. -- Al

Thanks, Al. I believe that this set is my favorite of the sets I have specifically commissioned from Hiriart.

Hiriart has also made five different die cast armored fighting vehicle catalog sets. The first is Set 1279 PANZER II, EUROPE. This is a stock photo, mine is still in its' box.

Attachments

• 1279 WWII PZ II Europe.JPG
    1279 WWII PZ II Europe.JPG
    212 KB · Views: 213
This is Hiriart Set 1280 PANZER II, AFRICA which is a repaint of the tank in the European theater set.

Attachments

• 1280 WWII PZ II Afrika.JPG
    1280 WWII PZ II Afrika.JPG
    233.3 KB · Views: 163
Hiriart also used the Africa version of the Panzer II in double catalog Set 1220 DEUTSCHES AFRIKA KORPS which also includes a motorcycle with MG42 machine gun sidecar, PAK40 anti-tank gun, and a Rommel personality figure.

Attachments

• 1220 WWII Afrika Korps with Rommel.JPG
    1220 WWII Afrika Korps with Rommel.JPG
    194.7 KB · Views: 171
That Afrika Korps set is very cool! I missed one on ebay last year and have been thinking of getting one soon. Its one of the few sets of WWII items in glossy that I have seen and liked!

Thanks for sharing these great photos

Dave

That Afrika Korps set is very cool! I missed one on ebay last year and have been thinking of getting one soon. Its one of the few sets of WWII items in glossy that I have seen and liked!

Thanks for sharing these great photos

Dave

Thanks, Dave. It is a neat set. If you would like, I could order you one on my 2014 Hiriart order which I am about to place this month.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back