Mlb 2023 (3 Viewers)

LA is the perfect place for Ohtani. Earthquakes, wildfires, mudslides, flooding, Ohtani and his $700 million boondoggle...it's perfect. -- Al

And Gavin Newsom. Maybe he is the Minus One in the new Godzilla movie? Regardless, the Dodgers will make money off this deal. I just hope they can win a WS.

Mahomes going postal on the sideline after the Chefs had a late TD called back for a neutral zone infraction, screaming at the side judge the whole time.

The Chefs have gotten more calls than any NFL team in history for 6 years, boohoo, cry me a river you big baby.

The Chefs and Mahomes lose, I'm happy.

The Bills and coach Hardo won, I'm sad.

Looks like the Chefs and Mahomes will be on the road in the playoffs for the first time ever.

Best of luck with that.

Mahomes going postal on the sideline after the Chefs had a late TD called back for a neutral zone infraction, screaming at the side judge the whole time.

The Chefs have gotten more calls than any NFL team in history for 6 years, boohoo, cry me a river you big baby.

The Chefs and Mahomes lose, I'm happy.

The Bills and coach Hardo won, I'm sad.

Looks like the Chefs and Mahomes will be on the road in the playoffs for the first time ever.

Best of luck with that.

Wrong thread..............

A good portion of the money is deferred so not a lot of money has to be put out by LA.

Nearly all of it is deferred. An interesting structure. He is paid $2 million/year for the length of the contract (He gets much more than that in endorsements.) After 10 years, he gets $68 million/year for the next 10 years. From sale of his merchandise, the Dodgers should have plenty of money to pay him them. Also, from what I've read, the full $70 million won't count against the luxury tax.
Dodgers have clever accountants.

Nearly all of it is deferred. An interesting structure. He is paid $2 million/year for the length of the contract (He gets much more than that in endorsements.) After 10 years, he gets $68 million/year for the next 10 years. From sale of his merchandise, the Dodgers should have plenty of money to pay him them. Also, from what I've read, the full $70 million won't count against the luxury tax.
Dodgers have clever accountants.
That is an amazing salary structure. Kind of secures his retirement, eh? Of course, all he has to do is be around to collect, but no one expects the odd attack by Godzilla... -- Al

The CBA has no limitations on deferment. The owners wanted to get rid of it during the last negotiations but the union said no.

For CBT purposes, 46 Million is counted against the allowable amount, roughly equal to what Scherzer and Velander were receiving in actual salary.

Ohtani is a genius.

He got $700 mil dollars.

He has MLB lauding him for deferring his salary so the Dodgers spend more to win while he is under contract.

And most importantly of all…….

He saves millions in California taxes by being a resident of another state when he receives those deferred payments.

The Dodgers got Yamamoto, throw another 325 million dollar log on the fire.

What is their payroll up to now, 300 million?

Why stop there, go get Montgomery and trade for Snell too while your at it; so you can win 142 games and get knocked out in the first round by the 85 win Brewers.

I'm sure Dodgers fans are thrilled, it's not their money.

This is pure insanity; MLB has to institute a hard salary cap, none of this deferred payments bullshit, you can't go over the cap, period, also have a minimum amount too, so cheapskate teams like the LET'S GO O'S!! and their 71 million dollar payroll and the Royals and Pirates have to spend up to a certain amount.

If the players go out on strike, then so be it, they have to end this madness no matter what.

The highest payrolled team hardly ever wins the world series, the Dodgers and Yankees have spent the most this century and have a whopping two WS titles between the two of them, the Dodgers one was the phony baloney 60 game COVID season one, I'm sure the Dodgers brass showed the video of them winning that WS in front of 10,000 fans and that's what sold him on going there.

The comical thing is I read numerous stories about how he wasn't going to take the most money, he was going to go where he wanted to play.

So in the end; he took the highest offer, just like mostly all of these guys do.

Why stop there, go get Montgomery and trade for Snell too while your at it; so you can win 142 games and get knocked out in the first round by the 85 win Brewers.

This is pure insanity; MLB has to institute a hard salary cap, none of this deferred payments bullshit, you can't go over the cap, period, also have a minimum amount too, so cheapskate teams like the LET'S GO O'S!! and their 71 million dollar payroll and the Royals and Pirates have to spend up to a certain amount.

If the players go out on strike, then so be it, they have to end this madness no matter what.

The highest payrolled team hardly ever wins the world series, the Dodgers and Yankees have spent the most this century and have a whopping two WS titles between the two of them, the Dodgers one was the phony baloney 60 game COVID season one, I'm sure the Dodgers brass showed the video of them winning that WS in front of 10,000 fans and that's what sold him on going there.

The comical thing is I read numerous stories about how he wasn't going to take the most money, he was going to go where he wanted to play.

So in the end; he took the highest offer, just like mostly all of these guys do.

George:

You are so right.

MLB relies on its regular season of pseudo competitiveness to draw fans and everyday TV/cash returns.

Once the playoffs start and champions are crowned the franchises could care less about small market teams.

-Jason

Baseball will never institute a hard cap so you can forget that idea.

The owners wanted to eliminate deferred comp but the players said no. I think you’re misinterpreting the competitive balance tax. For the tax, Ohtani’s salary will not be calculated at 2MM but 46 MM per year. There is no avoidance.

Ohtani wanted to be in LA but also wanted as much money as he could get. The same with Yamamoto. He used the Yankees and Mets to get the highest offer. Actually the Mets gave him the highest offer but LA matched it.

I’m pretty sure LA is done with SP as they now have added two topline starters.

I never understood why fans get excited about money when it’s not theirs.

Baseball will never institute a hard cap so you can forget that idea.

The owners wanted to eliminate deferred comp but the players said no. I think you’re misinterpreting the competitive balance tax. For the tax, Ohtani’s salary will not be calculated at 2MM but 46 MM per year. There is no avoidance.

Ohtani wanted to be in LA but also wanted as much money as he could get. The same with Yamamoto. He used the Yankees and Mets to get the highest offer. Actually the Mets gave him the highest offer but LA matched it.

I’m pretty sure LA is done with SP as they now have added two topline starters.

I never understood why fans get excited about money when it’s not theirs.

I get excited about money because it's pure BS that two or three teams can spend to infinity and MLB allows it, zero competitive balance in the league, the haves and the have nots as they say.

I don't blame the players; if someone wants to pay you 700 million dollars to hit a little white ball, then take it.

70 million dollars a year to play baseball; meanwhile, 65% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck, this guy probably has rolls of toilet paper made of 100.00 bills.

It's a complete joke and an utter farce.

I get excited about money because it's pure BS that two or three teams can spend to infinity and MLB allows it, zero competitive balance in the league, the haves and the have nots as they say.

I don't blame the players; if someone wants to pay you 700 million dollars to hit a little white ball, then take it.

70 million dollars a year to play baseball; meanwhile, 65% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck, this guy probably has rolls of toilet paper made of 100.00 bills.

It's a complete joke and an utter farce.

Sports is an entertainment industry. I don’t hear people complain when a singer or an actor make exorbitant salaries. It’s no different here.

All major sports leagues made the decision that they wanted parity or equity in results. So they introduced these salary caps and idiotic draft rules. Their thinking apparently was that it was better for the sport if the fan bases of every team won an occasional championship or at least were competitive. They couldn't have been more wrong. What the larger fan base wants is to see the big dogs play for the championships. In MLB, that means the Dodgers and Yankees. It's good for baseball for the elite teams to play more often for the championship. Outside of Hooterville, no one wants to see Tampa or some other backwater team in the WS every year. In fact, there were probably more loyal fans for teams like the Cubs, Indians, and Red Sox when they had those decades long histories of losing. Once they won a WS, the fans were less interested. Capitalism should be allowed to work. The Dodgers and Yanks bring in the most money. If they spend that money for the top players, then so be it. Other teams can move to N. Korea.

All major sports leagues made the decision that they wanted parity or equity in results. So they introduced these salary caps and idiotic draft rules. Their thinking apparently was that it was better for the sport if the fan bases of every team won an occasional championship or at least were competitive. They couldn't have been more wrong. What the larger fan base wants is to see the big dogs play for the championships. In MLB, that means the Dodgers and Yankees. It's good for baseball for the elite teams to play more often for the championship. Outside of Hooterville, no one wants to see Tampa or some other backwater team in the WS every year. In fact, there were probably more loyal fans for teams like the Cubs, Indians, and Red Sox when they had those decades long histories of losing. Once they won a WS, the fans were less interested. Capitalism should be allowed to work. The Dodgers and Yanks bring in the most money. If they spend that money for the top players, then so be it. Other teams can move to N. Korea.

MLB would love a Dodgers/Yankees WS match up vs oh, I don't know, Rangers/Diamondbacks, I wonder what the final ratings were of that compelling match up.

Baseball is a funny sport in that you can get a hot pitcher or a couple of hot bats and boom, you win a WS.

Take 1988; the Dodgers took down not only the Mets but then the A's largely thanks to one guy/pitcher and the most miraculous home run I've ever seen, Gibson literally swung on one leg, no leg drive, all arms.

The Nationals won a WS title afew years ago, pretty sure they were in last place, went on a run, backdoored their way into the playoffs and BOOM, WS champs.

Sports is an entertainment industry. I don’t hear people complain when a singer or an actor make exorbitant salaries. It’s no different here.

Jesus Christ though.

I'm NOT complaining about the salaries, I don't like spending to infinity, there needs to be a cap, period, end of story.

The Dodgers with those two Japanese players are going to make a **** ton of money off of ticket sales, broadcasting rights, jerseys and concessions, Dodger fans will no longer get to the ballpark in the 2nd inning and leave in the 7th, every Ohtani at bat and Yamamoto start will be must see events.

I've always liked the Dodgers even though my NL team is the Giants, they took down the gashouse gorillas in 1981 and as mentioned, the Mets in 1988 and then the mighty Rays in that 60 game shitshow of a COVID shortened season in front of 17 people in Texas because Texans ain't afraid of no COVID, they stood up to Mexico at the Alamo afterall, then they were cannon fodder for the 2018 RS as they demolished them in the WS.

One of my all time favorite Dodger moments is with runners on 2nd and 3rd and first base open in the 1985 playoffs/game 6 of the NLCS vs the Cardinals, fatso let Nedenfurenhiemermysterberger pitch to Jack Clark instead of that blankity blank Andy Van Sylke, Clark on a first pitch meatball hit a home run that will be landing in 3, 2, 1.................

Their salaries are NOT the problem.

Last edited:
Jesus Christ though.

I'm NOT complaining about the salaries, I don't like spending to infinity, there needs to be a cap, period, end of story.

The Dodgers with those two Japanese players are going to make a **** ton of money off of ticket sales, broadcasting rights, jerseys and concessions, Dodger fans will no longer get to the ballpark in the 2nd inning and leave in the 7th, every Ohtani at bat and Yamamoto start will be must see events.

I've always liked the Dodgers even though my NL team is the Giants, they took down the gashouse gorillas in 1981 and as mentioned, the Mets in 1988 and then the mighty Rays in that 60 game shitshow of a COVID shortened season in front of 17 people in Texas because Texans ain't afraid of no COVID, they stood up to Mexico at the Alamo afterall.....................

One of my all time favorite Dodger moments is with runners on 2nd and 3rd and first base open in the playoffs in the 1980's vs the Cardinals, fatso let some tomato can relief pitcher pitch to Jack Clark, who hit a home run that will be landing in 3, 2, 1.................

Their salaries are NOT the problem.

MLB needs to disband about ten teams and distribute the talented players to the remaining teams. Raise the whole league instead of making everyone mediocre. That would make more sense than the ridiculous rules seeking parity with the salary cap. I'm sure the Washington Generals would like to be beat the Harlem Globetrotters from time to time but that would not be a good fan base result. All those kiddies leaving in tears. Parents complaining. They would probably go home and have to watch that NORAD thing tracking Santa Claus to cheer them up.

I loved it when there were 10 teams each league, First place meant you went to WS. End of story.
Mark

It is difficult for me to argue too much about salaries when the Giants won all of their recent WS by being in the top 3 when it came to payroll.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back