My W Britain War along the Nile collection. (3 Viewers)

aujj65

Colonel
Way back in March 2012, I came home from the London show with the W Britain Nile River Gunboat and since then have collected all the WAN range of figures. Some figures I bought multiples, to the point where I had approx. 250 figures.

These where displayed over the years on terrain mats on shelves, in cabinets and under acrylic cases. When W Britain released the Tel-el-Kebir series I made my own earthworks, which was ok, but I wanted something better.

Inspired by the many talented diorama builders on this forum I was determined to make dioramas rather than just displays for my collection. During the last eight months (on and off) I have sorted and re-organized these figures into four separate engagements from 1882 to 1885, the surplus was sold off and the following dioramas were made.

The basic concept was the same: an mdf base with profiled hardboard sides. The ground work was built up using expanded polystyrene and the rough shape was then covered in light weight filler and a coating of pva glue. The ground work was then painted with a matt acrylic sand colour. The base and sides was finished in a satin mahogany hard wearing paint.

Scenic items sourced from JG Miniatures and Woodland Scenics as well as the figures were attached with pva glue (no going back at this point!!!!). Plastic sand/soil, buff ballast and small rocks were sprinkled over a coat of pva glue to cover the groundwork and figure bases. A bit of touching up here and there and lastly some dry-brushing.

The Nile River was the centre portion of the JG Miniatures mat I already had, the rest was made using Woodland Scenics realistic water and painted to match.

Regarding the figures, quite a few have been repainted (Grey coated 42nd Highlanders now have red coats for Tel-el-Kebir) and/or converted (dead Hadendoa). The only figure that isn’t W Britain is the Egyptian Officer in the Tel-el-Kebir setting; he is from the “Martin Enry” range made by Redcoat Models. The British artillery set is from the AZW range with a 12pdr barrel replacing the lightweight 7pdr.

Jeff

I will post photos of the four dioramas over the next few days, so first up:-

The British assault on the Egyptian entrenchments at Tel-el-Kebir 1882.

Attachments

• TEK 1.jpg
    TEK 1.jpg
    736.9 KB · Views: 367
  • TEK 2.jpg
    TEK 2.jpg
    692.2 KB · Views: 308
  • TEK 3.jpg
    TEK 3.jpg
    875.7 KB · Views: 357
  • TEK 4.jpg
    TEK 4.jpg
    733.1 KB · Views: 332
Great diorama. I see that you have Redcoats Egyptian NCO. Do you know if they are available for purchase?
Thanks
Benjamin

Excellent Jeff, looking forward to seeing your other dioramas {bravo}}{bravo}}

Steve

Excellent work, Jeff! You could show these at the BMSS Show!

Prost!
Brad

Jeff,

Tremendous work!:salute:: Look forward to seeing the other three dioramas!

Looks great.looking forward to seeing the others.One question,where did you get those bases? I've been looking for some.
Mark

Jeff,
What a well done diorama. Lots of changes in terrain with a realistic scene. Like others; I look forward to your next diorama.
Steve

Jeff,

You did an outstanding job on this!!! I'm sure it was a lot of work but fun doing at the same time. Your efforts paid off though as the dio is fantastic!

Can't wait to see the other 3..............!!

Mark

Thank you for all the positive comments and likes, much appreciated. :salute::

Not sure about the Egyptian officer? I picked mine up at one of the London shows a year or so back.

The base is made from a sheet of mdf cut to size and I profiled the sides with a jig saw, so just homemade.

Next one.....

Jeff

The York and Lancaster Regiment at the Battle of Tamai 1884.

Attachments

• T 1.JPG
    T 1.JPG
    450.1 KB · Views: 223
  • T 2.JPG
    T 2.JPG
    700.3 KB · Views: 236
  • T 3.JPG
    T 3.JPG
    541.8 KB · Views: 202
  • T 4.JPG
    T 4.JPG
    803.8 KB · Views: 235
Another winner, Jeff!:salute:: Is that the battle where the Fuzzy-Wuzzies broke a British Square, as Kipling put it?

Outstanding Jeff . . . Excellently developed and executed . . .
Mike

They both look great Jeff, well done {bravo}}{bravo}}{bravo}}

Stay safe

Martyn:)

Thank you all again for the supportive comments and the likes. :salute::

Third diorama.......

Jeff

The Guards Regiment of the Camel Corps at the Battle of Abu Klea 1885.

Attachments

• AK 1.JPG
    AK 1.JPG
    498.1 KB · Views: 96
  • AK 2.JPG
    AK 2.JPG
    629.7 KB · Views: 93
  • AK 3.JPG
    AK 3.JPG
    464.2 KB · Views: 92
  • AK 4.JPG
    AK 4.JPG
    718.4 KB · Views: 92
Another winner, Jeff!:salute:: Is that the battle where the Fuzzy-Wuzzies broke a British Square, as Kipling put it?

Thanks Louis, at both battles of Tamai and Abu Klea the British had squares broken into before they regained control and won the day.

Jeff

Lastly (and my favourite) is the British Nile River Gunboat making a dash down a rather tight stretch of the Nile pursued by a horde of Mahdists (it does fit - half inch to spare either side!).

Jeff

The British Gunboat on the way to Khartoum 1885.

Attachments

• GB 1.jpg
    GB 1.jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 91
  • GB 2.jpg
    GB 2.jpg
    519.8 KB · Views: 90
  • GB 3.jpg
    GB 3.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 90
  • GB 4.jpg
    GB 4.jpg
    484.6 KB · Views: 90
That’s a lovely dio board especially built to accommodate that wonderful Nile boat. I can see why it’s your favourite Jeff. Robin.

and a few more of the Gunboat diorama.

Jeff

Attachments

• GB 5.jpg
    GB 5.jpg
    452 KB · Views: 85
  • GB 6.jpg
    GB 6.jpg
    395.9 KB · Views: 84
  • GB 7.jpg
    GB 7.jpg
    285.7 KB · Views: 89