New Conte Zulus (1 Viewer)

Very well written post UKReb and I agee he's been a master when it comes to providing collectors with very well done action packed figures appearing in all of his ranges, and there's do doubt he's got a new bunch of winners in the pipe line. Don't be surpised if we see them mid to late June early July for I won't be. He owes me one seeing he got me hooked on collecting Toy Soldiers back in 1999:D:D:D:D ....The Lt.

Well he got his Roman galley into the stores in about 4 months. Sept show was when it was announced. I hope the Zulu stuff is a bit quicker. I also hope it fits with the Britains stuff. Looks like a good year for fans of the Zulu War.
Regards
Damian

I just looked at the new Zulu range on Conte's website and I have to say it looks great.I don't collect Zulu even though I read alot about the Colonial period (1870-1914),but I might have to get a couple of these dudes.
Mark

Lt

This I believe is Conte's brilliance that he continually not only gets the attention of us dyed in the wool collectors but more importantly non-collectors to our hobby by basing his figures on popular movies, which is indicative with his current best selling series of Spartans based on the comics and the movie 300 Spartans and his next trick of introducing plastic versions as an alternative and cheaper option to metals has a darn good chance of turning these tentative "new-bloods" eventually into avid collectors which just has to be good for us and other manufacturers in keeping toy soldier collecting alive and well.

....I got a gut-feeling five will get you ten that you will be waiting a hell of a long time before these guys join your troops on the Drift :D
Reb

Certainly couldn't agree more with the first point, he sure got me that way. I hope you are wrong about the second but then I am, like many, still waiting for more Spartans and Persians. What can you do?

Lt

We've both said it before and I'll say it again....Nobody but nobody does action figures like Conte.

These latest preview figures look absolutely stunning and RC's trick (and boy what a trick!) as with most of his releases is simply tapping into the psyche of the collector and non-collector. For it is without doubt that the vast majority of people's knowledge of the Zulu War is/was based primarily on the films Zulu and Zulu Dawn which practically everyone in the world has now seen at least a dozen times. So what does he do that no other manufacturer does? Casts outstanding poses of the soldiers to fit exactly the vignettes from both movies which we all recognise ensuring collectors immediately put them on their "must have" lists. One would only have to display these new figures as a shelf dio or a Joe type epic layout and everybody who views the dio will immediately identify the scenes from both movies. No explanation necessary to the uninitiated even your dear old Granny will recognise the scenes.

This I believe is Conte's brilliance that he continually not only gets the attention of us dyed in the wool collectors but more importantly non-collectors to our hobby by basing his figures on popular movies, which is indicative with his current best selling series of Spartans based on the comics and the movie 300 Spartans and his next trick of introducing plastic versions as an alternative and cheaper option to metals has a darn good chance of turning these tentative "new-bloods" eventually into avid collectors which just has to be good for us and other manufacturers in keeping toy soldier collecting alive and well.

I like most of you was mighty impressed with Britain's forthcoming Zulu range but these latest preview shots are indicative to me that Mr RC has taken this series to a whole new level and in "original 54mm size"-we hope! which will align with everyones collection of this fascinating war. Now if only he could manage to get the product out to us a little quicker than the normal 18 months Conte wait from preview to actually being delivered by USPS.
Unfortunately Joe. I got a gut-feeling five will get you ten that you will be waiting a hell of a long time before these guys join your troops on the Drift :D
Reb

Does anyone know if they will be closer to 54mm? Really like these but will be very unintrested if they turn out to be Sons of the South behemoths.

Does anyone know if they will be closer to 54mm? Really like these but will be very unintrested if they turn out to be Sons of the South behemoths.

Well I only know what I read in RC's Introductory letter:
"...Initially, I thought we might just 'fine-tune" our Zulu and 24th Foot poses from our injection molded plastic playset ranges but when I revisited these wonderful 'old' figures it was clear that we could certainly do much better now than we did back them. Hence, a whole new range of sculpts which (while still the same size as our earlier figures from 1999 ) really are the 'next generation' of Zulu product...."
So if you know what size the old figures are, you will have your answer. Some one here must know how those compare to WB, Trophy, Frontline etc.

AAPACHEJOL according to RC they are to be compatible to the scale of his original figures of the Zulu War Series. If you haven't seen the information of his releases on the link post by Joachim check it out or visit the Conte web sites preview section......The Lt.

Just recently added to Conte's releases and the photo speaks for itself.......The Lt.

Melville1bl.jpg

That's a cool scene. I like the fact that you can take the figures off the scenic base (or so it would seem). It makes for a nice micro-diorama on it's own.

Just recently added to Conte's releases and the photo speaks for itself.......The Lt.

Melville1bl.jpg

Joe,

Your right, that is a pretty fine model! Glad to see that Conte have got the Union Jack the right way round as well.

You Zulu War collectors seem to be having a fine old time of it at the moment :D

Jeff

Here is a photo posted by Joe in another thread recently showing some previously done Conte Zulu War figures next to some new Britains Zulus. If the wording on RC's web page announcing this new range being done at the same scale as the previous range is accurate then I'd say these will work pretty good together size wise (they actually look just a shade smaller maybe, but not to a problematic degree) What do you think?

MD

Attachments

• 001-12.jpg
    001-12.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
I'm getting the distinct feeling I will be spending some time and $$$ in the Conte room at OTSN this Fall. Anybody else getting that feeling? :)

Dave

;)Thanks much, that does help. Any chance of seeing one or two each from all three lines together?

;)Thanks much, that does help. Any chance of seeing one or two each from all three lines together?

Spitfrnd your request is granted featuring all three lines in metal and including a Conte plastic Zulu. By the way what part of New England are you from.....The Lt.

006-19.jpg

008-17.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back