New Forum Look (1 Viewer)

I've just posted some threads with attachments.

I do miss the likes or who's watching tags. The threads and posts seem empty if nobody replies to a post.

Rgds,

Victor

Hey everyone,

I am an admin here and one of the people working on the site.

We had to change the site because the previous system, launched in 2013, reached the end of its life in 2021. It was only compatible with very old versions of PHP and MySQL, which caused numerous problems.

It will take a while to get everything sorted with the new system, but there are many features I am sure you will grow to love.

Here are a few things that have vastly improved over the previous system:

1. Mobile Viewing: The new site has a responsive design and is usable on almost every device. On iOS, you can create an app on your phone in about a second simply by adding the page to your home screen.
  2. Push Notifications: While not fully implemented yet, I am working on it. Push notifications are sent directly to your phone or PC. You will see a notice at the bottom of your screen asking for permission, and then your device will ask you. It is a great way to stay updated with the site.
  3. Performance: The site loads much faster now, images upload faster, and everything is quicker.
There are probably many other improvements, but these three alone are worth the change.

Please give us some time to get everything worked out as much as possible. This was a huge task. The previous site was tweaked over years, and this one is only a couple of days old.

Just a heads up, I will not be posting or replying regularly.

Hey everyone,

We had to change the site because the previous system, launched in 2013, reached the end of its life in 2021. It was only compatible with very old versions of PHP and MySQL, which caused numerous problems.

It will take a while to get everything sorted with the new system, but there are many features I am sure you will grow to love.

1. Mobile Viewing: The new site has a responsive design and is usable on almost every device. On iOS, you can create an app on your phone in about a second simply by adding the page to your home screen.
  2. Push Notifications: While not fully implemented yet, I am working on it. Push notifications are sent directly to your phone or PC. You will see a notice at the bottom of your screen asking for permission, and then your device will ask you. It is a great way to stay updated with the site.
  3. Performance: The site loads much faster now, images upload faster, and everything is quicker.
There are probably many other improvements, but these three alone are worth the change.

Please give us some time to get everything worked out as much as possible. This was a huge task. The previous site was tweaked over years, and this one is only a couple of days old.

I’m experienced with the Watch feature from another forum and find it useful there. Members who are just interested in certain parts of the Forum will find it a plus.

Wow, I was wondering if it's because I am not in the USA, right now.. if it will have the same configuration like the one before this, no harm no foul, but if not it would suck for everyone..

It’s a truism that people don’t like change but change happens all the time. As a former colleague told me once “embrace change. It’s all around you.”

I’m experienced with the Watch feature from another forum and find it useful there. Members who are just interested in certain parts of the Forum will find it a plus.

I also hate the new format. Wish there was a way to return to the old forum.
I too am finding it difficult, proper old codger that I am. I should like to express my thanks to everyone at Treefrog for taking the trouble to run this forum however. I hope I can adapt soon.

I too am finding it difficult, proper old codger that I am. I should like to express my thanks to everyone at Treefrog for taking the trouble to run this forum however. I hope I can adapt soon.
Thought I had posted a reply but came out multiquote - don't know why. ho hum.

Hey everyone,

Cool. People are
Probably because you had hit the quote button. You just need to hit the reply button.
As much as I instinctively hate anything new that won't save my life but is efficient for business, I can cope with this new Forum. I may even grow fond of it.
Paddy

I've just posted some threads with attachments.

I do miss the likes or who's watching tags. The threads and posts seem empty if nobody replies to a post.

Rgds,

Victor
Very, very true - spoils the fun to keep updated with the Development of newly posted threads - do not like that as

Very, very true - spoils the fun to keep updated with the Development of newly posted threads - do not like that as
that is the meaning of following what is going on at the Forum. Useing the cell phone to just type this is also an issue …

To keep updated on how a thread progresses, by which I take it you mean whether there are new posts since your last visit, you can hit the new posts feature or watch a thread. When you use the watch a thread feature you have the ability to be notified by email when a new post appears, if you so choose.

Going back to the quote function, if you are going to quote one person, you only need to hit reply on their post. However, if you are quoting two or more replies, then you need to use the quote feature.

I only know these things because a music forum I frequent has hundreds of posts a day and they use similar software.

...Going back to the quote function, if you are going to quote one person, you only need to hit reply on their post. However, if you are quoting two or more replies, then you need to use the quote feature...
I just realized now that Reply includes quoting the specific post. Interesting. That's different from the previous functionality, if I'm not mistaken. If you don't want to quote, you can clear the quoted text from the text entry pane, though. Post Reply is just "add a post to this thread".

I can see where forum members might be confused with the new Quote functionality. The previous feature to quote quoted the post whose Quote button you clicked, and for multi-quote, you clicked the plus sign. With the new feature, the posts we select for a multiquote are more obvious, since the +Quote button is shaded when the post is selected. And you can de-select it by clicking +Quote a second time.

Yeah, it'll take some time to get acquainted with the features. But this is a fact of life in the digital age, too. Change comes more rapidly, more frequently. Older people might not be used to it, or ever get used to it. Younger people accept it as a matter of course.

Prost!
Brad

OK, and the text entry panel is open by default, at the bottom of the page. You don't need to click a button to open it. Just enter your text then click Post Reply.

Prost!
Brad

Here is an item for the upgrade punch list-the text in some dialog modals is black on the dark green background, and nearly impossible to see:

1719578733265.png

White text would be most visible.

Prost!
Brad

I notice that a number of older posts have broken image links now (.php files) while others do not.

I am probably one of the youngest members here at 29, so unlike many members, I have grown up with every aspect of my digital world constantly changing. I get that change is hard, especially for those unused to it, and I feel for those members who are experiencing this, but I don’t think some here understand that this is an inevitable and necessary change. That’s just how the internet works.

I want to thank our gracious hosts for the time, money, and effort they put in to keeping this forum up and running. I know it is often a thankless task.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back