New Releases for April 2019 - American Civil War (1 Viewer)

John would throttle me if I gave up the goods, sorry...…………..:wink2:

The fact that it's the 54thMA should take you down the road for awhile as far as releases.

I'm already planning my Chicago show display for this range...…………….

The 54thMA - the second black regiment in the ACM and had an outstanding famous combat record. Recruited mainly in the Boston area. Their most famous battle was the assault on Fort Wagner near Charleston South Carolina. The assault was the basis of the movie "Glory".

Say George - aren't you from Boston? And don't you use the 54thMA as your nom de plume? I wonder why JJD chose this regiment to do :rolleyes2:

Coinc1dence - I think not :rolleyes2:

The figures seem very well done and I may get a few even though I don't collect ACM..

Terry

Last edited:
I have to say that I have never seen a range of toy soldiers that have peaked my interest more than this series right here. This displays what the war was about, while also highlighting a highly decorated and incredible regiment. John I love your American figures, but not only have you knocked this out of the park, but it’s out of the stratosphere. You can count on me collecting every one of these sets. Congrats on good things to come!

The Saint-Gaudens Home and studio is here in New Hampshire.
They have another copy of the Shaw Memorial on the grounds.
Saint-Gaudens National Historical Park in Cornish, New Hampshire, preserves the home, gardens, and studios of Augustus Saint-Gaudens, one of America's foremost sculptors. This was his summer residence from 1885 to 1897, his permanent home from 1900 until his death in 1907, and the center of the Cornish Art Colony.
Address: 139 St Gaudens Rd, Cornish, NH 03745
Hours:
Open ⋅ Closes 4:30PM
Year built: 1817 (main house)

Here is a link to an in-depth study on the Shaw Memorial that can be downloaded as a pdf. If you plan to collect the 54th this is a great source to have:smile2:

https://www.nga.gov/content/dam/nga...urces/teaching-packets/pdfs/Shaw-brochure.pdf

Attachments

• PDRM0858.jpg
    PDRM0858.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 317
Robert Gould Shaw Memorial

View attachment 244889

It's a beautiful monument honoring free men who chose to fight to preserve the Union, their bravery and sacrifice helped turn the tide and win the war for the North.

"War of Northern Aggression" my ***.

This monument fell into disrepair and was pretty shoddy looking, then the movie came out and low and behold, it was spruced up as numerous tourists who came to Boston and saw the movie wanted to view it.

The ending with the boys choir singing along with the images of the monument...……...:(………...the room is getting dusty just thinking about it...…….

The 54thMA - the second black regiment in the ACM and had an outstanding famous combat record. Recruited mainly in the Boston area. Their most famous battle was the assault on Fort Wagner near Charleston South Carolina. The assault was the basis of the movie "Glory".
Terry

I love the movie "Glory" and had to buy it for my tiny dvd/bluray collection. What a story. I remember at the time thinking Matthew Broderick was a likely miscasting... until I saw the film. Somehow it all worked.
Denzel Washington was great, of course. But back to toy soldiers, I used to have some of Conte's 54thMA. He did a few pieces of the regiment. I thought they were really well done.

Joe

Can't say as I am as gung ho on these figures as my Boston friends. Glad you guys got them and enjoy them. I will stay squarely in the Aztec Empire for this go round. I am sure this comes as no surprise, my collection doesn't contain any blue hues or general colors of that nature. :) We are strictly a No Blue Zone!^&grin

TD

Can't say as I am as gung ho on these figures as my Boston friends. Glad you guys got them and enjoy them. I will stay squarely in the Aztec Empire for this go round. I am sure this comes as no surprise, my collection doesn't contain any blue hues or general colors of that nature. :) We are strictly a No Blue Zone!^&grin

TD

Gee Tom, 155 years is a long time to hold a grudge …..{sm4}

I wonder if the 15th Alabama had been able to out flank the 20th Maine and roll up the Union line at Gettysburg, we would be removing all the Federal Statues and plaques in favor of Longstreet, Hood and Jackson!

Oh well, us Maine boys got the better luck that day!! ^&grin

--- LaRRy (from Maine!)

This made me laugh more than it should have.

I don't collect US civil war, with the exception of Conte's three cannon set I never really have. However I really like these and think if they can used in small marching road scene I would buy them. The 54MA like the 442 infantry regiment in WW2 had a tough road and still overcame it to cover themselves in glory( pardon the pun).

I wonder if the 15th Alabama had been able to out flank the 20th Maine and roll up the Union line at Gettysburg, we would be removing all the Federal Statues and plaques in favor of Longstreet, Hood and Jackson!

--- LaRRy (from Maine!)

I'm proud to be from Massachusetts where the 54th came from. Also, there almost 5,800 Massachusetts men who fought in the Battle of Gettysburg. Around 1,540 Massachusetts men (26%) became casualties, the third highest total of the eighteen Union states that fought there. One of the MA regiments that was in III Corps fought along the wall near the angle on the 3rd day, most of the men came from the Taunton area (Fall River, Taunton and New Bedford). Another regiment in III Corps was nicknamed the Harvard regiment as many of it's members attended Harvard University.

All gave some, some gave all.

The whole affair makes me sad truth be told, Americans killing Americans.

Ok, don't want to turn this into a refight of the Civil War, my main point was to chime in with how much I like the 54MA release, so we'll leave it at that.

Taunton area! Where all tough men are from! (I’m a Dartmouth man myself! 😀 )

I'm fairly sure that if you said that in certain neighborhoods in Brooklyn and the Bronx, you might not make it back out again alive!{sm4}

--- LaRRy (from Maine!)

Larry
thanks for the post, cracked me up! Unfortunately the removal of monuments has become a sad reality. Anyhow, of course enjoy the soldiers, they are well done...…………………….if you like blue...………….^&grin

TD

.. Am looking forward to this release. Hopefully it will alternate with The Bunker Hill Releases for WWII. So I won't miss any piece.

Prior to moving to Taunton, I lived in Westwood and prior to that, West Roxbury, or to folks in Westwood, also known as "the hood"...……………...

If you’re looking for a good book about the 54th and other African American regiments, I recommend the following. The book won the Lincoln Prize and in the field of Civil War History, it’s the top honor; you can’t do better than that.

ACC3A44A-D331-4F9C-A098-A6EAB827CA8F.jpeg

Last edited:
Storming Fort Wagner, 1890, Kurz & Allison Art Publishers.

427634FE-91AC-490E-8D32-3288C6FBDBA2.jpeg

I'm proud to be from Massachusetts where the 54th came from. Also, there almost 5,800 Massachusetts men who fought in the Battle of Gettysburg. Around 1,540 Massachusetts men (26%) became casualties, the third highest total of the eighteen Union states that fought there. One of the MA regiments that was in III Corps fought along the wall near the angle on the 3rd day, most of the men came from the Taunton area (Fall River, Taunton and New Bedford). Another regiment in III Corps was nicknamed the Harvard regiment as many of it's members attended Harvard University.
I misspoke on this, the regiment is the 20th MA, Hall's Brigade. John Gibbon's division. 2nd Corps, not 3rd Corps. Their Col, Paul Revere (his grandson) was wounded on July 2nd. Died the next day.

On the 3rd day, they are in the thick of counterattacking Kemper and Armistead. I got all emotional reading about it, not going to lie.

They are depicted in the cyclorama as well. One of the regiments sweeping left to right. You can see the Commonwealth state flag in the painting.

Again, the entire affair is sad and a tragedy that Americans were killing Americans in this war, 650,000 or so died to be exact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back