NMA News: Watch out for Monday 14th August!! (4 Viewers)

Eazy said:
There were FJ's in the desert. The Ramcke Brigade. Though they didn't do any combat drops just functioned in an elite ground fighting role. They also took part in a legendary fighting retreat which I'll need to look up more information on. Would be a good topic for the historical thread.

Eazy is right - the Ramcke Brigade had a very distinguished service, presumably that was the basis for Andy's desert paras - not to sure about the camo smocks but I'm no uniform expert though. Anyone know what the desert uniform for a para was? I have certainly seen photos of desert schwimmwagens, strange when you think about it....

Never seen a Schwimwagen in the desert, seen plenty in desert colours that were used in Italy by the SS but why would you want a swimming vehicle in the desert?
Why don't u post us some photos kev and prove me wrong?
Still think its a Panther!

red devil said:
Never seen a Schwimwagen in the desert, seen plenty in desert colours that were used in Italy by the SS but why would you want a swimming vehicle in the desert?

Red, your guess is as good as anyone's, but with Honour Bound making about every variation of the panther you could think of and K&C's latest incarnation of that tank it would probably wouldn't make good business sense for NMA to do a panther at this time.:)

Fred

How about a blown up Panther!!? HB not doing that yet are they? Give them chance and they probably would though.:D

red devil said:
How about a blown up Panther!!? HB not doing that yet are they? Give them chance and they probably would though.:D

Not blown up, only disabled.;)

Fred

red devil said:
Shouldn't u be at work? I've been in the office 4 hours already!!!:)

Sorry Red, I'm retired. Besides, if you're at the office, shouldn't YOU be devoting more time and effort to YOUR work instead of a toy soldier forum, hmmmmmmmmmmm?:D

Fred

panda1gen said:
Eazy is right - the Ramcke Brigade had a very distinguished service, presumably that was the basis for Andy's desert paras - not to sure about the camo smocks but I'm no uniform expert though. Anyone know what the desert uniform for a para was? I have certainly seen photos of desert schwimmwagens, strange when you think about it....

FJ's in the desert would have worn sandy tunics of several varieties. Their jump smocks would have been the same splinter pattern worn in Europe.

The K&C desert FJ camo is complete fantasy but it looks good and i'm surprised the Germans didn't think about it.

boot51 said:
Sorry Red, I'm retired. Besides, if you're at the office, shouldn't YOU be devoting more time and effort to YOUR work instead of a toy soldier forum, hmmmmmmmmmmm?:D

Fred
Cant wait until I am retired because I can then play soldiers all day, go to the pub and hang out with the young chicks who think I have loads of money and then come back and play more soldiers!
Until then i have to work my arse off here!

red devil said:

You have got me thinking now - can't put my hands on a picture right now but thought it odd at the time - saw a picture of a dusty schwimwagen in 21 pz div colours - but of course this was later reformed after the 1943 debacle, so this could have been a DAK marking as a bit of a liberty? Or a DAK escapee to Italy, or.....See this caption from a NW Europe picture:

'The later radio car. You can see the white ash-tray on the table, and the sand-coloured Afrika Korps hat worn by one of the crewmen. Afrika Korps veterans were often proud of their old uniforms, and hung on to them. The commander standing next to him is wearing a black panzer uniform. These were popular and high-status to wear and a lot of officers wore them even if they were not meant to by regulations. The brake-cable aerial looks the part and is very strong.' This is a quote from a picture I couldn't download but was from N Europe.

Perhaps you are right - although the car was developed from 1940 or so and they did build up to 15000 between 1940 and 1944 and the units were sent to Africa as they were...:confused:

Can anyone clear this up?:)

panda1gen said:
You have got me thinking now - can't put my hands on a picture right now but thought it odd at the time - saw a picture of a dusty schwimwagen in 21 pz div colours - but of course this was later reformed after the 1943 debacle, so this could have been a DAK marking as a bit of a liberty? Or a DAK escapee to Italy, or.....See this caption from a NW Europe picture:

'The later radio car. You can see the white ash-tray on the table, and the sand-coloured Afrika Korps hat worn by one of the crewmen. Afrika Korps veterans were often proud of their old uniforms, and hung on to them. The commander standing next to him is wearing a black panzer uniform. These were popular and high-status to wear and a lot of officers wore them even if they were not meant to by regulations. The brake-cable aerial looks the part and is very strong.' This is a quote from a picture I couldn't download but was from N Europe.

Perhaps you are right - although the car was developed from 1940 or so and they did build up to 15000 between 1940 and 1944 and the units were sent to Africa as they were...:confused:

Can anyone clear this up?:)

Your picture did not come thru, but from what I know it was mainly Engineer units that were issued with the early version before it went onto general issue. The SS had a large proportion issued for use in Russia with the boggy terrain but in all these years I have never seen a DAK schwimwagen. Italy yes North Africa no!
Anyway he's doing a PINK PANTHER (not been done by HB!!) so what does it matter?!!:)

Last edited:
red devil said:
Anyway he's doing a PINK PANTHER (not been done by HB!!) so what does it matter?!!:)

While HB isn't doing a pink panther - they are working on a pink bergepanther :eek: (is it just pink resin or painted pink to appeal to your wives ...;) )

BP-1F.jpg

red devil said:
Your picture did not come thru, but from what I know it was mainly Engineer units that were issued with the early version before it went onto general issue. The SS had a large proportion issued for use in Russia with the boggy terrain but in all these years I have never seen a DAK schwimwagen. Italy yes North Africa no!

Can the quest for the pic of a DAK schwimwagen begin?:D

Hi Pete
The Pink Panther looks great - also looks expensive and how are they going to ship it with all those cranes and gantries, they do not look like they are removeable?
Any news from NMA at your end as to what is coming out?
Also what happened about the competition in Chicago between the 3 manufacturers - did Andy come back to you?

Well its nearly 8.30 sunday evening and here i am on tenterhooks waiting for the e mail that will answer the mystery of what is the new vehicle! Come on Blake hit the send button!!(only kidding mate!)

Rob

OK I am pretty sure its time to go to work over in the UK since its 0115 so where is the big news we really want to know!

Dave

OK I am pretty sure its time to go to work over in the UK since its 0115 so where is the big news we really want to know!

Dave

Think about it Dave, it's going to come in summer and winter camo, but not desert, what is it that there is little or none of in the desert and therefore no logical need for this particular vehicle?:D

Fred

Sorry for the delay guys - it just went out to you all after some computer problems. I honestly did not enjoy making you all wait - but it sure was fun reading all the comments on the forum and all your emails!
Regards Blake

I still have my money on the Kettenrad which was the only vehicle actually airdropped with the FJ.

As for that elusive Afrika Korps Schimmwagen. I did have a model with the AK emblem but I guess it must have been a made up version as I've been unable to confirm that the AK did actually use them. I certainly read somewhere that Rommel was keen to have a number of Schimmwagens as they were 4wd whereas the Kubelwagen was only 2wd, but nearly all went to the Eastern front.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back