Official News: KnC Sherman!! (2 Viewers)

I think people have to realize in this day and time you are not going to get superb quality and realism for $60-$70.If you want that your going to pay $3-$400.If you can't afford that then you go this route and if your talented enough you can make these look great.Look at what the kit builders do.
Mark

I don't know, FoV manages to make metal/plastic vehicles at this price point that are pretty well weathered and detailed (the old Enthusiast Line from a few years ago put out a great Tiger I and Jagdpanther).

That's what I was hoping for in this KnC line. FoV looking vehicles just in 1/30.

Like others, this one looks a little too toy-like to me. Its the tracks/wheels that are giving me the vibe of those old green plastic M48 tanks I had as a child.

This line could really shine though in fleshing out dioramas if they concentrated on less detailed equipment/vehicles. I think a Kubelwagen or PaK40 in this format would look fine. Affordable accessories like signs, fuel dumps, vehicle stowage, loose weapons would be great.

Whilst I have plenty of Sherman Tanks for running over Nazi's in the Bocage now, I would defo buy one of these for a damaged, destroyed, out of action scenario and as I think about it there are several different scenes where these would be very useful. The price makes this more attractive too, I paid a hefty price for the CS Panther just to burn it out for my dio, so the lower price of the Sherman will be welcome.:salute::

So yep, I'll be in for one of these at some point.

Rob

Last edited:
I don't know, FoV manages to make metal/plastic vehicles at this price point that are pretty well weathered and detailed (the old Enthusiast Line from a few years ago put out a great Tiger I and Jagdpanther).

That's what I was hoping for in this KnC line. FoV looking vehicles just in 1/30.

Like others, this one looks a little too toy-like to me. Its the tracks/wheels that are giving me the vibe of those old green plastic M48 tanks I had as a child.

This line could really shine though in fleshing out dioramas if they concentrated on less detailed equipment/vehicles. I think a Kubelwagen or PaK40 in this format would look fine. Affordable accessories like signs, fuel dumps, vehicle stowage, loose weapons would be great.

Spot on post and agree track are the thing that let the tank down

Whilst I have plenty of Sherman Tanks for running over Nazi's in the Bocage now, I would defo buy one of these for a damaged, destroyed, out of action scenario and as I think about it there are several different scenes where these would be very useful. The price makes this more attractive too, I paid a hefty price for the CS Panther just to burn it out for my dio, so the lower price of the Sherman will be welcome.:salute::

So yep, I'll be in for one of these at some point.

Rob

Rob truth of the matter is we don't know what price the Sherman will be in the UK at the moment

Rob truth of the matter is we don't know what price the Sherman will be in the UK at the moment

Yes that's quite true Neil, I kind of thought generally cheaper if you know what I mean but yes the actual UK price will be the deciding factor. I'd love to use one of these for dio's but if it were only slightly cheaper then I probably wouldn't Neil.

Rob

I really love this concept and I think it will do very well in the areas it is meant to be, younger collectors etc. I also think this is a great move for the hobby.

I do not think that you can economically compare it to Forces of Valor. It is a completely different marketing and sales scheme. After all, Forces of Valor is sold at Wal-Mart and similar retail stores, thus their price point is partially based on bulk sales and bulk pricing.

Will be interesting to see what the UK price is for one of these ^&confuse

Should think it might work out about 70.00 quid by the time VAT has been factored in to the calculation. Wonder when we will see a Tiger in this range?

... After all, Forces of Valor is sold at Wal-Mart ....

Yep, and that is a good place for younger people to go. Forces of Valor items are located
just a couple aisles from the video games. Still expensive unless the parents are well-heeled
or wait for a Sale. Everybody loves a Sale. Even better than eBay. Just have to step away
from the Kool-Aid groupies.

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_query=Forces+of+Valor&ic=16_0&Find=Find&search_constraint=4171

Yes that's quite true Neil, I kind of thought generally cheaper if you know what I mean but yes the actual UK price will be the deciding factor. I'd love to use one of these for dio's but if it were only slightly cheaper then I probably wouldn't Neil.

Rob

Rob

Isn't the UK price generally the 'same' as the US? That is, 69 dollars is 69 pounds?

Jack

Yep, and that is a good place for younger people to go. Forces of Valor items are located
just a couple aisles from the video games. Still expensive unless the parents are well-heeled
or wait for a Sale. Everybody loves a Sale. Even better than eBay. Just have to step away
from the Kool-Aid groupies.

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_query=Forces+of+Valor&ic=16_0&Find=Find&search_constraint=4171

eBay has its usefulness, and I guess Wal-Mart does too (great place to find ammo when all else fails). My point was that in any price comparison all factors should be considered including who sells the product etc.

Rob

Isn't the UK price generally the 'same' as the US? That is, 69 dollars is 69 pounds?

Jack

$69 works out to £42 but prices are higher in the UK so it will be more than its US equivalent.

For example, BBA 66 is $166 but almost £167. $166 works out to £101 and £167 to $272. Some of the difference can be attributed to VAT and cost of living. The rest, who knows.

Last edited:
Looks ok to me, now it's ideal for those who have a little bit of painting skill, some weathering and a few bits and pieces here and there and you have a perfectly good Sherman for $70.00 odd instead of few hundred plus. Now who can complain about that...:wink2::rolleyes2:
Wayne.

I agree I think these tanks will look fine with some painting and weathering . I won't get this one as I have plenty of Sherman's but I will watch out for others that I can add my own personal touch to . Good idea good price bring them on. Chris.:salute::

OK, I got good news and bad news! The good news - the tank has a decent overall impression. The BAD news - it IS NOT a US Sherman from D-Day!!!!! I was getting all excited when I saw the wading stacks were removable - then I saw the back end. Boys and girls - that tank is an M4A2 (British Sherman III) or an M4A3 (early model). Guess what - the M4A2 wasn't in US service in the ETO (with a few RARE exceptions). The M4A3 (early model) didn't go overseas until 1945 - they had been held back in the US as training vehicles, then they went through a remanufacturing program. By the time the M4A3s were ready to go to Europe the demand was high for 76mm tanks and newer tanks with the "Wet" ammo stowage. The large tank losses in the Battle of the Bulge caused several shipments of late M4A3s to go to Europe in 1945. So the tank modeled only applies to the drive into Germany in 1945 and to the fighting on Okinawa. Sorry, but those are the only two battles where that particular model was photographed in a combat zone. That's why there are quite a few of them in parks and museums in the USA - they didn't ever leave the country and were available in depots when parks and VFW posts wanted a "WW2 tank" for display. FoV's Sherman is wrong that way and now so is the upcoming KnC model.

For heavens sake! There are a number of us who know this stuff, why can't the manufacturers get off their high horses and ask a few questions instead of charging ahead because "it looks right"? What KnC have done is the WW2 equivalent of placing a Union cavalryman from 1865 in the middle of the Alamo! I cannot understand why collectors support such crummy homework. It's just not that hard to ask someone and get it right.

Gary,

Are you saying that the model is a M4A3 75(W) or 76(W), the ones done at Fisher. From what I could find, production on these didn't start until around February and March 1944.

Brad

Gary,

Are you saying that the model is a M4A3 75(W) or 76(W), the ones done at Fisher. From what I could find, production on these didn't start until around February and March 1944.

Brad

The KnC Sherman is an M4A2 as used by the Brits or an early M4A3 introduced in 1945 to fill a shortage of newer versions. The KnC model looks like dry ammo storage as indicated by the extra plates welded to the hull sides to protect the ammo. They all have a large rear plate with a complex shape.

knc001_04.jpgM4A2  Sherman2.jpgM4A2 Sherman.jpgM4A3_Sherman-3.jpg

Other Shermans like the M4 had a small arch shaped plate and large doors to the engine as the rear of the tank.

M4 Sherman.jpg

Last edited:
good post and something I have been asking for a long time.
Mitch

OK, I got good news and bad news! The good news - the tank has a decent overall impression. The BAD news - it IS NOT a US Sherman from D-Day!!!!! I was getting all excited when I saw the wading stacks were removable - then I saw the back end. Boys and girls - that tank is an M4A2 (British Sherman III) or an M4A3 (early model). Guess what - the M4A2 wasn't in US service in the ETO (with a few RARE exceptions). The M4A3 (early model) didn't go overseas until 1945 - they had been held back in the US as training vehicles, then they went through a remanufacturing program. By the time the M4A3s were ready to go to Europe the demand was high for 76mm tanks and newer tanks with the "Wet" ammo stowage. The large tank losses in the Battle of the Bulge caused several shipments of late M4A3s to go to Europe in 1945. So the tank modeled only applies to the drive into Germany in 1945 and to the fighting on Okinawa. Sorry, but those are the only two battles where that particular model was photographed in a combat zone. That's why there are quite a few of them in parks and museums in the USA - they didn't ever leave the country and were available in depots when parks and VFW posts wanted a "WW2 tank" for display. FoV's Sherman is wrong that way and now so is the upcoming KnC model.

For heavens sake! There are a number of us who know this stuff, why can't the manufacturers get off their high horses and ask a few questions instead of charging ahead because "it looks right"? What KnC have done is the WW2 equivalent of placing a Union cavalryman from 1865 in the middle of the Alamo! I cannot understand why collectors support such crummy homework. It's just not that hard to ask someone and get it right.

For those wondering what the UK price will be it is £69.50

We will also have it with us at the London Toy soldier show on the 7th of December. Andy will also be there if there are any questions about the new KnC range

cheers

Tony neville

K&C UK

Thanks for the information Terry.

One thing that we shouldn't forget is that these KnC models are not targeted at us but newer and younger collectors, where accuracy may not be as key a concern. Not saying this as a justification but more as an explanation.

If it is intended that these are to be sold through stores like Walmart and Target, I don't think the people buying these -- parents at this time of the year -- are worrying about accuracy. Speaking of which, if it is intended to be sold through Walmart, they better hurry and get these on the shelves.

I would not be surprised one day if the KnC division becomes the biggest seller and the traditional toy soldier market is left behind.

Last edited:
The KnC Sherman is an M4A2 as used by the Brits or an early M4A3 introduced in 1945 to fill a shortage of newer versions. The KnC model looks like dry ammo storage as indicated by the extra plates welded to the hull sides to protect the ammo. They all have a large rear plate with a complex shape.

Other Shermans like the M4 had a small arch shaped plate and large doors to the engine as the rear of the tank.

View attachment 139977

Actually, the model looks like the bastard love child between an M4A2 and an M4A3. The engine deck radiator grills are narrow like the M4A2, but the rear plate angle and the exhaust deflector is from the M4A3. It will pass from an M4A2 which means that it COULD be used as a British Commonwealth tank or one used by the Free French, but NOT the US Army in the European Theater of Operations! All the Sherman tanks that went ashore in Normandy and came ashore in the flowing months were the M4 or M4A1, both with the Continental radial engine. That was done for brute standardization and to simplify logistics during the build up to breakout. In August, 1944 the first M4A3s showed up in Europe and they were quite different than this model (they had the one-piece glacis and larger driver's hatches as well as the larger 76mm gun turret). A "proper" M4 needs the rear to look like the last one in Terry's post. The engine deck is also totally different.

The US Army preferred the M4 and M4A1 for its units, the M4A2s went to the USSR, the British, and the French. Some, from a British allotment, went to the USMC and the Corps used M4A2s from Tarawa to Iwo Jima and one battalion retained theirs on Okinawa.

I have had the pleasure of meeting Andy - he is very bright, and knows a LOT about military history, uniforms, etc, so I don't know why silly mistakes like this go into production! K&C wouldn't paint a Polish Hussar in Wehrmacht splinter camouflage, so why pass off a wrong tank on collectors? Many people will buy it because 1) it is made by King & Country and 2) they just don't care. I just want to worn peple that the product is in no way what it claims to be. It's hot dog meat labeled as beef!

Gary B

Users who are viewing this thread

Back