Panther G Arrived; My Initial Review (4 Viewers)

I just say it how I see it. No more no less
Mitch

Mitch - The man who never met a toy soldier AFV paint job he didn't hate! ^&grin

Just kidding. Silver drybrushing does seems to be a Figarti trait, though, as it's done on every Figarti tank I own (Panther, 007 Tiger, ISU-152, T-34/85).

It's late war Frank, they're trying not to draw attention to themselves :)

I know Blowtorch, I understand all that....That's a Good point:salute::....Important to not be noticed on the battlefield{sm4}...I just prefer the HB Panther I guess...Best Regards Frank

what I do dislike on the AFV is the rather crude attempt to show that underneath the ambush camo is shiny steel!!!

Mitch I agree it is an odd look but there is possibly a different take on it. Without having actually seen it in the flesh, here is another take:

I've studied Olive Drab quite a bit, not just the color but the gloss levels too in the specifications. For American tanks for example, the tanks left the factory in a nice lustreless finish of no more than 1 gloss unit. That's a very flat finish. However, that changed when they got overseas. That nice QM/ORD spec paint often got oversprayed as needed with the cruder Engineer spec paint which was allowed up to a finish of 6 gloss units, which is darn near eggshell in appearance and quite disgusting to look at, especially when applied in spot patches like to cover stars or irregular camo bands / whatever. I've seen one nice color pic in France '44 of a Cobra breakout Sherman which has this & it's quite gross (the black/OD pattern camo). Now no model maker in his right mind would make something so disgusting looking with irregular patches of sheen, but that was the reality in some cases...the manufacturer was allowed 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6 gloss units. Depends on what came out of the sprayer at the advance base.

From looking at some German photos it does seem as though they also ran into near eggshell finish on their specs & if maybe this model could be interpreted that way.

I know Blowtorch, I understand all that....That's a Good point:salute::....Important to not be noticed on the battlefield{sm4}...I just prefer the HB Panther I guess...Best Regards Frank

Love the HBs too. Surprised I've never seen anyone mate them up with the Reichbahn system. The three of them would look snazzy on a train

Great review Hunter Rose! The photos are excellent. The one area where Figarti has exceeded Honor Bound is with the opening/closing hatches; which offers many more diorama options. I think the Figarti and Honor Bound Panthers really complement each other; being different stages of development.
The quality is equivalent IMHO and it is excellent that the scale is correct. I have one on order and will display it with my Honor Bound #422 which has Schurtzen^&grinWhat is your opinion of the Panzer Kommander figure?

Great review Hunter Rose! The photos are excellent. The one area where Figarti has exceeded Honor Bound is with the opening/closing hatches; which offers many more diorama options. I think the Figarti and Honor Bound Panthers really complement each other; being different stages of development.
The quality is equivalent IMHO and it is excellent that the scale is correct. I have one on order and will display it with my Honor Bound #422 which has Schurtzen^&grinWhat is your opinion of the Panzer Kommander figure?

what I do dislike on the AFV is the rather crude attempt to show that underneath the ambush camo is shiny steel!!! AFV's don't chip and wear like that IMO and the way it is done shows that the original painter/weatherer just did not know... did not have enough time or, enough skill with the brush. It does look like it was just hit with a brush.

It why I prefer the Tiger I which, has little weathering. scratches and chips no problem but, large areas with a huge shiny silver/steel effect is not good on such a decent looking model
Mitch

Mitch, I saw this ambush camo Panther in person and you are spot on about it being "brushed" with silver paint. I'm not saying ALL of the 100 are like this but I passed on purchasing one for the very reason you described. Way over the top it is with this "steel weathering" effect. . . . :(

Last edited:
Honestly, I have wondered if that picture was not the one used by Figarti to model this tank, as its almost spot on to their model. I'm already starting to think about acquiring the First Legion Fallschirmjagers to create a FallschirmPanzerKorps Hermann Goering scene.

I am very much with you and cannot wait for the photo. I was reviewing the FL FJ protos again today and think they will be a great fit.

The lack of antenna bothers me, though, and I will add it myself. My tank is on order and am very much looking forward to it.

I am very much with you and cannot wait for the photo. I was reviewing the FL FJ protos again today and think they will be a great fit.

Fallschirm-Panzer-Division 1. Hermann Göring. Here's the photo I was talking about, the Figarti Panther is spot on for being used here. All you would have to do would be paint or add decals for the tank numbers. If memory serves I believe this was in Czechoslovakia in 1945.

l9ed.jpg

What is your opinion of the Panzer Kommander figure?

He looks like the stock photo pictures and in the picture below from another thread that someone took of the prototype. It's a full body figure so he can be displayed outside the tank as well. Pretty good sculpting and painting for a Figarti figure IMO. He's of the King and Country size/proportions so he's too big for my taste, as I prefer the true 1/30 size and more slender look of First Legion figures with my armor.

That's my only gripe, if its size was slightly smaller I'd be very happy with it.

568s.jpg

Im glad he is K&C size as i prefer to display K&C and TGM the true 1/30 scale with my armour......................^&grin

Im glad he is K&C size as i prefer to display K&C and TGM the true 1/30 scale with my armour......................^&grin

Must...resist...getting sucked into...scale war...

Resistance...failing...

The panzer figure measures 66 to 67 mm so he would be between 6'6" and 6'7" in real life. Not to say there weren't very tall Germans during WW2, but ALL OF THEM weren't that tall. I just prefer my tankers not to all look like they could start in the NBA! :salute::

Resistance...failing...

The panzer figure measures 66 to 67 mm so he would be between 6'6" and 6'7" in real life. Not to say there weren't very tall Germans during WW2, but ALL OF THEM weren't that tall. I just prefer my tankers not to all look like they could start in the NBA! :salute::

Just mucking around mate,each to there own personally i hate basketball...........................^&grin

He looks like the stock photo pictures and in the picture below from another thread that someone took of the prototype. It's a full body figure so he can be displayed outside the tank as well. Pretty good sculpting and painting for a Figarti figure IMO. He's of the King and Country size/proportions so he's too big for my taste, as I prefer the true 1/30 size and more slender look of First Legion figures with my armor.

That's my only gripe, if its size was slightly smaller I'd be very happy with it.

568s.jpg

Thank you for the photo. I was unaware that it was a full figure. Figarti is taking lessons from First Legion. Regards

Resistance...failing...

I use Collectors Showcase and K&C figures with my 1/24 scale VS Tank RC Tiger and they work quite well. They calculated to be 5' 9" tall in 1/24 scale for a measured figure height of 68mm. I can fully agree that the First Legion figures work best with a true 1/30 scale AFV. Regards

Fallschirm-Panzer-Division 1. Hermann Göring. Here's the photo I was talking about, the Figarti Panther is spot on for being used here. All you would have to do would be paint or add decals for the tank numbers. If memory serves I believe this was in Czechoslovakia in 1945.

l9ed.jpg

Probably Silesia. Stunning to see these guys still holding it together when I read about regular Heer Panther battalions vaporizing at this point in the war. These guys must have been good.

Just mucking around mate,each to there own personally i hate basketball...........................^&grin

Now I know we're mortal enemies, I'm 6'5" and love basketball!

No worries, I always love friendly banter and exchanging good-natured ribbing. Cheers! ^&grin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back