Ridley Scott to direct new Battle Of Britain movie (1 Viewer)

Anything by Ridley Scott (earth based {sm4}) is a definite for me.

Michael Caine and Susanna York could play the grandparents of a pilot.

I note the article mentions he might be doing a movie about Mexican drug cartels. Another genre I like.

I note the article mentions he might be doing a movie about Mexican drug cartels. Another genre I like.

Yeah that sounds good too!

It would be great to see a re-make of the 1969 classic. Of course the '69 version used many acutal German and British aircraft in the aerial footage.

Susannah York not likely to be in the new film as she died 6 yrs ago. She did a memorable job in the first movie but Michelle Williams, mentioned for the new production, would also be good.

The article mentioned this is an early stage of the project so don't know how likely this is to come out. Chris

It would be great to see a re-make of the 1969 classic. Of course the '69 version used many acutal German and British aircraft in the aerial footage.

Susannah York not likely to be in the new film as she died 6 yrs ago. She did a memorable job in the first movie but Michelle Williams, mentioned for the new production, would also be good.

The article mentioned this is an early stage of the project so don't know how likely this is to come out. Chris

Oops. Did not realise York had passed away.

How about Peter Jackson get back to work on The Dambusters as well.

Was wondering how many Spitfires and Hurricanes still fly, I know Duxford muster about twenty Spits each year for a big event in Sept. I do hope this movie gets made , would be good coming on the heels of Dunkirk film. As Brett said surely a cameo for Michael Caine !

Rob

If Dunkirk is a big commerical success then the chances of Dam Busters and Battle of Britain being made probably increase. If a flop.......:rolleyes2:

The original BoB did not make a profit until DVD and Bluray releases. Chris

Let's hope it's a success :salute:: The original B.O.B is a classic War movie and often repeated on tv all these years later, let's hope new film holds up as well .

Rob

Bring on the CGI, never be able to duplicate the flying fleet of WWII aircraft in the original Battle of Britain movie.

Slightly off subject but when I see "drug cartel" I think Netflix Narcos! A must binge series, truly must see TV, so well done...

Nothing like watching the real Hurri's and Spits in action. CGI is ok, but you still know it's fake. Sure glad the film makers went through the effort to gather so many originals. Has always been a favorite of mine since I saw it in the theaters so long ago. Achtung! Spitfire! -- Al

If it is a Hollywood movie how are they going to find a way to make an American the hero?

Looking forward to both Dunkirk and this. Although Christopher Nollan said Dunkirk is not a war movie. Not sure what that means.

Nothing like watching the real Hurri's and Spits in action. CGI is ok, but you still know it's fake. Sure glad the film makers went through the effort to gather so many originals. Has always been a favorite of mine since I saw it in the theaters so long ago. Achtung! Spitfire! -- Al

Recently read a little on the movie production. Many of the ME-109s were a Spanish version with Merlin engines. THey modified the aircraft to more closely resemble to German originals. The producers collected as many of the flyable Spits and Hurcs as they could. They were only able to come up with two Spit Mk I and IIs that were the same model used in the battle. Some aircraft were only capable of taxiing in the movie. Others were restored to flying condition just ot be used in the movie's aerial footage. It was a huge production effort. Also a favorite of mine.

Interestingly, all of the Jap(anese) acft in Tora, Tora, Tora, made the following yr, were modified American T-6 trainers. Some still used in aerial demonstrations today. Chirs

Recently read a little on the movie production. Many of the ME-109s were a Spanish version with Merlin engines. THey modified the aircraft to more closely resemble to German originals. The producers collected as many of the flyable Spits and Hurcs as they could. They were only able to come up with two Spit Mk I and IIs that were the same model used in the battle. Some aircraft were only capable of taxiing in the movie. Others were restored to flying condition just ot be used in the movie's aerial footage. It was a huge production effort. Also a favorite of mine.

Interestingly, all of the Jap(anese) acft in Tora, Tora, Tora, made the following yr, were modified American T-6 trainers. Some still used in aerial demonstrations today. Chirs

Imagine being a private owner and being asked to lend out your Spitfire! {eek3}You'd want some pretty good insurance! 😀

Tora, Tora, Tora , is another classic War fave, it is another of those shown every Christmas when i was a kid.

Rob

I wonder how today's population of Britain and London in particular would fare in
the same scenario as those so many generation back did..

This film must be most repeated over here, except maybe for The Great Escape!

Do hope Dam Busters makes it to screen:salute::

Last edited:
Tora!Tora!Tora! is another favorite of mine. It is based on the Japanese publication, written by Gordon Prange, my history prof when I was at UMd. in the early 70's. He used to regale us with tales of Occupied Japan (he was also head of MacArthur's historical section in Japan) and his many interviews with many of the key Japanese Naval leaders, especially Mitsuo Fuchida, involved in the Pearl Harbor attack. That man was a real fountain of first-hand info, having also been in Germany in the early 30's. Prange held a special viewing of Tora!Tora!Tora! one night at the UMd. Student Union movie theater for his students. There were a few hundred attendees and we all got a running commentary about the many different characters and events as they unfolded. It was great fun, very informative, and I've never forgotten it. -- Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back