Rom048 elephant crew (2 Viewers)

Yawn...................this is my reaction to watching grazing trolls. Kind of like watching paint dry.

To the rest of the thread, if the guy can't see what is plain as day in real life photos, then time to move on.

Great looking elephant is coming our way and I had the good fortune of seeing some very nice Aeroart Elephants today. Saw one that is an example of 3 only. What a nice one, I will get pics next week of it, it is out of what I am willing to spend, but it is a beauty.
Tom

Tom; you are the Elephant expert; who made the WAR Elephant in the second photo?

Also do you believe the first photo is the same Elephant TG is importing except for the Roman crew? The two certainly look the same with too many details in common to be coincidental IMO.

Tom; you are the Elephant expert; who made the WAR Elephant in the second photo?

Also do you believe the first photo is the same Elephant TG is importing except for the Roman crew? The two certainly look the same with too many details in common to be coincidental IMO.

Zach is right, both of them are Vityaz. Russian Studio who is very high priced. Look, not to beat you up anymore, but the Cranial sculpting has been that way on Russian elephants for as long as I can remember, not all of them by any means, but there are plenty of real life photos where they got this. You gotta get over it or stick with the elephants you like, but none of them are anatomically wrong.

Tom

The Elephant is Bronze and the Tusks are Ivory. Made in Japan about 1900, signed by the maker and it will purchase about 10 TG Elephants at auction. A true work of art.

The Selucids painted their War Elephants ears red to make them look more fierce in battle! The Indians paint colorful patterns all over their elephants. I will stick with Bronze or Chocolate!

Kat, I'm not going to weigh in on the heads of the elephants but what concerns me is the elephant that you pictured has tusks made out of ivory. There is a big issue going on about this as "real' elephants are being slaughtered by poachers in Africa for there Ivory and for me this is unacceptable. I understand that ivory is also sold legally but again, I find this unacceptable as it only fuels demand for the poached ivory.

Tom

Thanks for the information Tom and Zack.

So the consensus is that the TG War Elephant is by Vityaz and TG is sculpting the crew.

I like the Vityaz War Elephant in the second photo. The raised foot and position of the head and trunk convey anger.

Does Vityaz have a website?

Zach; in your opinion is TG outsourcing the Elephant or making it in house? The TG and Vityaz sculpts are virtually identical IMO.

Uh....no concensus. You asked who made it and we told you.

I have no way to know. Are there similarities, yes. Beyond that I have no knowledge and wouldn't profess to know

I have no way to know. Are there similarities, yes. Beyond that I have no knowledge and wouldn't profess to know

TO CLARIFY - Zach and I told you who made the elephants in your photos. Thomas Gunn is making their own elephant and crew all by themselves.
TD

Zach; in your opinion is TG outsourcing the Elephant or making it in house? The TG and Vityaz sculpts are virtually identical IMO.

Who care TG elephant will be 1/3 rd of the price Russian ones are and just as good

I somewhere have a photo in my archives of two elephants engaging in the mating dance,,the poor howda forward looking back in terror at the large no doubt heavy lidded bull fellow quite engaged as he holds on for dear life ,,no doubt shouting commands,,no worry I shall not post,,

The first elephants in an ALL METAL configuration weighing in at a meaty 3.5kilos will appear around June/July, hope that clarifies everything.

Best The Gunn Team

Russian War Elephant castings are far less expensive than painted pieces. Neina Studio has a very nice War Elephant casting set with figures on eBay for $299.00. The finished example shown is Superb. Andrea War Elephant casting sets are in the same price range. Good deals for those who paint figures.

Who care TG elephant will be 1/3 rd of the price Russian ones are and just as good

Russian War Elephant castings are far less expensive than painted pieces. Neina Studio has a very nice War Elephant casting set with figures on eBay for $299.00. The finished example shown is Superb. Andrea War Elephant casting sets are in the same price range. Good deals for those who paint figures.

Could you post step by step photos as you paint yours Kat? I'be only painted LOTR Mumaks in the elephant range...probably a comparable size though. Extras were fine quality brushes (around $50), quality paints, around $100, pallets and around 20 hours work on each. They work well on a games table but I wouldn't display them these days. Looking forward to your project. I'm sure yours will turn out well.

Could you post a photo; they sound very nice. Are they 40mm or 54mm size?

Could you post step by step photos as you paint yours Kat? I'be only painted LOTR Mumaks in the elephant range...probably a comparable size though. Extras were fine quality brushes (around $50), quality paints, around $100, pallets and around 20 hours work on each. They work well on a games table but I wouldn't display them these days. Looking forward to your project. I'm sure yours will turn out well.

Could you post a photo; they sound very nice. Are they 40mm or 54mm size?

Kat, a kit building project from a decade ago. Games Workshop: roughly 28mms fantasy system but the creatures are enormous. Not appropriate for this thread and am heavily committed at this time. Will catch up on kits section in a few weeks. Your project probably more appropriate to the painting section or castings. See you there for fun, Bob

Re: Rom048 elephant crew HOW MANY CREW

Hi all, is the war elephant only coming with 2 figures or 3 , 2 in the box attacking

one is not enough

regards

According to comments made about the example displayed at the London show, the Howdah comes with one figure and two figures would be a very tight fit. Unusual when you consider that the Black Hawk, Andrea and Aeroart War Elephants have 3 figures in the Howdah; but those figures are 54mm not 60mm.

my Thomas Gunn Roman elephant arrived today...

it's pretty awesome...from tail to trunk...this is a nice piece...

I'm very happy with it...

it's frickin' heavy...and I like that...the weight is impressive and substantial...the detail is pretty awesome...

it's packed in a hard rigid black foam...not the black soft foam they pack their figures in...

the rigid black foam is very tight and firm...not flexible at all...making it hard to remove it from the box...

the foam will not open to your finger pressure...it is very rigid...and a little hard to remove the pieces...

if you have ordered one or received one and not opened it yet...

I think the best way to remove it safely from the box...

is to place a cutting board or some flat surface on top of the open box over the foam....
then turn it upside down and allow all the foam and contents to be gently removed....
there will be 3 layers of rigid foam with the pieces still firmly in place...
separate the layers to easily and safely remove your pieces...

good job Tommy Gunn...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back