Simpson and His Donkey (1 Viewer)

airwiggy

Private
Britains 23000 - from WWI range - shows Simpson and his Donkey - part of the Australian Army Medical Corps, Gallipoli 1915
It was a Hobbyco exclusive
Its a nice set
Not sure if anyone has posted this before - I'm a kiwi, and we have our own similar story from Gallipoli - but this is as close as modern Britains has gotten to New Zealand and our war efforts.
"John 'Jack' Simpson Kirkpatrick (6 July 1892 – 19 May 1915), who served under the name John Simpson, was a stretcher bearer with the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps during the Gallipoli Campaign in World War I. After landing at Anzac Cove on 25 April 1915, he obtained a donkey and began carrying wounded British Empire soldiers from the frontline to the beach, for evacuation. He continued this work for three and a half weeks, often under fire, until he was killed. Simpson and his Donkey are a key part of the 'Anzac legend.' (thanks to wikipedia)
Private Henderson of the NZ Medical Corps then took over one of Simpsons donkeys and carried on the good work. Regal Enterprises do a nice gloss figure of Private Henderson and the donkey as well.

(anyhow - just signed up to the forum - may be a bit of fun)

Attachments

• DSC07195.jpg
    DSC07195.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 944
  • re-dikhenderson-gallipoli-1pc-os0038_6_6.jpg
    re-dikhenderson-gallipoli-1pc-os0038_6_6.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 948
Welcome to the forum and that is a nice set by Britains.
I always liked the story of Simpson and his donkey.
Thanks for the info on Private Henderson from NZ and for showing the fine Regal set.
Konrad

What a great story. Had no idea of this story...thanks for sharing and welcome to the forum.

thanks for the photo, very interesting, welcome aboard, lets hear from you again in the New Year. Cheers, Robin.

Welcome mate always good to have some kiwi,s on here especially with the world cup next year..............:D

Welcome to the forum. Excellent story and excellent set
Mitch

John Simpson Kirkpatrick, originaly a Northumbrian I believe, born in North Shields.

Martin

Welcome and thanks for posting that. I didn't know about
the Britains figure. So I ordered one. I like these Britains
exclusives and a Medic too.

Britains 23000 - from WWI range - shows Simpson and his Donkey - part of the Australian
Army Medical Corps, Gallipoli 1915.........

Here is another figure, made by Wilson Edwards the Aussie maker

simpson.jpg

When I was in Galliploi in June this year, I visited Simpson's grave.. he's 'resting' by the shores of the Agean Sea, with many of his mates, and the troops he helped down from the hills above ANZAC Cove.

John

Thanks to all for the welcome, that was very nice.
I for one, think very higly of the ANZACS - and it'd be fantastic if WBritain did a few more sets
For those unfamiliar with Gallipoli - here are a few snaps I have from one of a couple of visits I have made their - absolutely an amazing place to visit. Very very sad, but thrilling at the same time...
Thanks

Attachments

• DSC01346.jpg
    DSC01346.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 176
  • DSC01340.jpg
    DSC01340.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 173
  • DSC01335.jpg
    DSC01335.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 195
  • DSC01330.jpg
    DSC01330.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 180
Gallipoli Figures

Hi guys,

If it's Gallipoli figures you want, we make over 50 of them including all combatants and artillery. Turkish machine gunners coming soon.

FREE illustrated catalogue available worldwide ... FREE postage too.

Cheers from OZ,

Craig & Jason Pearse
Wilson Edward Toy Soldiers
Australia
email soldiers@aapt.net.au

BELOW: ANZAC 13-POUNDER & CREW. 18-POUNDER ALSO AVAILABLE.

Attachments

• WE-GAL-05b.jpg
    WE-GAL-05b.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 166
Welcome to our new member from N.Z.I've never been there but from watching Lord of the Rings,Zena,and Legend of the Seeker :D you have a very beautiful country.Very interesting story about Simpson.Thanks for the pictures as I had never saw them before.Seems like Gallipoli for you ANZAC guys Is like Gettysburg to us Yanks,a very hallowed place.All the best.
Mark

As promised, this is John Simpson Kirkpatrick's last resting place.
simpson.jpg

19th May 1915 Aged 22

I took this photo in june this year at ANZAC Cove in Turkey

Lest We Forget

John

Hi Guys,

About 6 weeks ago I had the the Grandson of Henderson the Kiwi "Simpson" come into the shop. He ordered his replica medal set which was Military Medal with 1914/15 Star, War Medal and Victory Medal. He had various newspaper clippings etc and there is apparently a famous artwork often thought to be Simpson but which was based on Henderson.

Simpson was put up for a Victoria Cross in WWI but it was not approved. Even quite recently people raised the matter of awarding Simpson a belated VC.

Regards
Brett

A brave man indeed as were many thousands but, I don't agree with this retrospective pressure for awards they were deliberated at the time and denied for failing to reach the criteria for the VC which, and rightly so, is high and other awards are given in such cases.

Modern society seems to want to retrospectively amend written history events decisions to readily etc and I think its wrong IMO
Mitch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back