Thanks Andy! (1 Viewer)

I am curious about the fascination with the LAH series?
Recreating battles with the German army against the allies is one thing.
You can take the politics out of it and focus on tactics, weapons, individual acts of courage and the pleasure of the good guys really coming out on top.
But showcasing the pomp and ceremony of a psychopathic and barbaric regime seems insensitive to their victim's suffering and in a way patronizing to their attrocities. Why glorify the Nazi regime at all?
To be fair there are people who think collecting toy soldiers promotes militarism and I obviously don't agree. I look at it as an appreciation of art and history.
I would love to hear your sentiments.

You have an interesting point here.......:rolleyes:
One thing that I don’t get it, less than 3 month we have TWO Hitler Staff Cars releases one in a Wehrmacht uniform and now in a SS ceremonial uniform....

Speaking only for myself i wouldn't have them in my house.No offence to any fans of the range but they leave me cold.I admire their machines of War and i have their troops as they are the opposition to my Allies,but thats it.I wouldn't want a representation of their pomp,ceremony and loathsome regime in my house.However as i say this is just my opinion and i fully respect that views completely opposite to mine are just as valid,and everyone has the right to collect what they want.Thats the beauty of freedom that was hard won for us.:)

Rob

While I don't collect K&C If I was the LAH series would definitely on my list. I think for me it just the aspect of the parade. The uniforms are neat as well. I don't really see any difference between collecting these types of German soldier vs the fighting ones. For me I am not into the whole tanks, guns, death etc. This series to me doesn't represent that so maybe that is why.

While I don't collect K&C If I was the LAH series would definitely on my list. I think for me it just the aspect of the parade. The uniforms are neat as well. I don't really see any difference between collecting these types of German soldier vs the fighting ones. For me I am not into the whole tanks, guns, death etc. This series to me doesn't represent that so maybe that is why.

This is what i love about the forum.You get the views of a huge range of different collectors from different countries who all have their own reasons and systems for collecting,its very interesting.

Rob

Some really great pieces released this month particularly like the winter Germans and the Polish Paras. Starting to get difficult to keep up with all my lines as I collect Bulge both German and American, Market Garden and the Alamo. Does anyone think we will be getting any further Arnhem releases this year, I have to admit I expected more than five and I certainly thought we would have seen a Johnny Frost figure by now.

Not sure we will now,each release normally released in one go.I agree its getting hard to keep up.

Rob

How about the new Arnhem figures,i'm sure a few of us were calling for Polish Paras?.

Rob

Are you sure you couldn't find a home for that KT mate?;)
Well I don't know where I would put it or what it would fit with? It would look rather odd with my few British 1/32 warbirds or my few 1/72 tanks, none of which have any figures beyond the pilots. Maybe it could support the 300 at the pass, except I don't think it would fit through the pass.:rolleyes: Now if you want to send me one as a wee gift, well I shan't complain:D

You can take the politics out of it and focus on tactics, weapons, individual acts of courage and the pleasure of the good guys really coming out on top.
But showcasing the pomp and ceremony of a psychopathic and barbaric regime seems insensitive to their victim's suffering and in a way patronizing to their attrocities. Why glorify the Nazi regime at all?
To be fair there are people who think collecting toy soldiers promotes militarism and I obviously don't agree. I look at it as an appreciation of art and history.

Interesting question that I think about a lot. I have had a lifelong love of history and especially military history, but honestly I find little in life that is sadder than wars (especially when you think about it on the individual level) and often wonder if I should pick up less militaristic hobbies (I also collect Civil War artifacts). When I do photography, I feel like I am creating something - a very different sensation. Actually, now that I am finally starting to put some of my toy soldiers into dioramas, I am kind of doing that too, but with history.

When I studied European history in grad school, my main professor was a guy who wrote one of the leading histories of the SS (he was very left of center though), and I also had a class with one of the leading scholars on the Holocaust. I also did a lot of research on the Holocaust. Given my background, I am not very interested in collecting the LAH series. I am not sure I would never have a couple in my collection and probably will at some point, but I would never buy a Hitler figure for sure and probably not any major Nazi. I certainly don't look down on those who would, but I just wouldn't want one personally. I do have a very small collection of Nazi armbands and badges from WWII that I put together a long time ago, but I have them on a lower, less prominent shelf in my home office.

I guess I just have conflicting feelings!!!

Man, I read back through my previous post, and it sounded kind of preachy. Not what I meant. I just wanted to discuss how feelings can be mixed about these things.

Another thing I was contemplating the other day, while cutting the grass, of all things, was which lines of toy soldiers wouldn't be very controversial in some way. I thought of AWI and Napoleonic as two that would likely offend only a rare person at most. Any others?

If you can't figure something out the old "Follow the Money" usually works. As with all Andy's endevors if it don't sell he don't make it.
Ray

Interesting question that I think about a lot. I have had a lifelong love of history and especially military history, but honestly I find little in life that is sadder than wars (especially when you think about it on the individual level) and often wonder if I should pick up less militaristic hobbies (I also collect Civil War artifacts). When I do photography, I feel like I am creating something - a very different sensation. Actually, now that I am finally starting to put some of my toy soldiers into dioramas, I am kind of doing that too, but with history.

When I studied European history in grad school, my main professor was a guy who wrote one of the leading histories of the SS (he was very left of center though), and I also had a class with one of the leading scholars on the Holocaust. I also did a lot of research on the Holocaust. Given my background, I am not very interested in collecting the LAH series. I am not sure I would never have a couple in my collection and probably will at some point, but I would never buy a Hitler figure for sure and probably not any major Nazi. I certainly don't look down on those who would, but I just wouldn't want one personally. I do have a very small collection of Nazi armbands and badges from WWII that I put together a long time ago, but I have them on a lower, less prominent shelf in my home office.

I guess I just have conflicting feelings!!!

At the end of the day they are still just toy soldiers and not a defining point of a collectors beliefs. Some collectors draw the line at 'Germans', some at 'Waffen SS', and some at the 'LAH' range. Personally I draw the line at the 'Hitler Youth' as I think kids in SS style gear just seems wrong.

...Another thing I was contemplating the other day, while cutting the grass, of all things, was which lines of toy soldiers wouldn't be very controversial in some way. I thought of AWI and Napoleonic as two that would likely offend only a rare person at most. Any others?
Well that is a good thought but I doubt those two periods are any more exempt from that than the rest; political correctness has few boundaries:rolleyes:. I would not be concerned however.;)

But showcasing the pomp and ceremony of a psychopathic and barbaric regime seems insensitive to their victim's suffering and in a way patronizing to their atrocities. Why glorify the Nazi regime at all?

I can only speak for myself as a collector of the LAH series so here it goes...

One of the many things I find interesting about military history /warfare is what motivates the soldier to fight and the population to support or not support him in the endeavor of war. Pageantry has always played a tremendous role in the psychology of war, IMHO, and the ways in which it has been used by various regimes, nations, tyrants etc over the centuries is fascinating. The LAH represents this sort of pageantry much as an Imperators Triumph does. It is the spectacle that dazzles and sadly often masks a much darker purpose of those in power. I lived in Germany for close to 16 years and love and respect the German people and am often asked how "They" could have allowed Hitler and the Nazis to rise to power? Well, again this is IMHO, but many nations including my own have been pretty brutal to those we saw as different or inferior. I just finished an article were several more nations have classified the Soviet forced collectivization of the Ukraine in the early 30s as Genocide. Some 4-6 million Ukrainians were starved to death by this process yet people in "civilized" countries around the world thought Stalin's communist system worth emulating. When I look at my "toy soldiers" I often think of all the young men and women whose lives were cut so brutally short and ask why? Why did they follow Stalin, Caesar, Hannibal, Custer, the list could go on forever. I rather like Andy's summation on his LAH "a warning in miniature" as it sums up not just Hitler but blindly following anyone with a good speech and an axe to grind. Some collectors draw the line at collecting the "combat" sets, while I collect those as well I also like to collect the parade sets as this gives an insight to what propelled those guys in the tanks forward. I realize that there are some who probably do collect the LAH that have, shall we say, a morally challenged view of the world and am equally aware and sensitive to those who do not wish to have anything to do with them. For my part, they keep me from becoming a my country right or wrong drum beater and remind me there but for the grace of God go I.

Sorry if I sound preachy no offense intended.

Cheers, Saber

The new King Tiger is perfect--just the kind of dual purpose late war material that can serve in Normandy, the Ardennes, or Berlin. I've ordered mine already.

As for LAH. I think its an odd choice, but I have friends who think the German stuff I have is bizarre in its own right. I can see it from their point of view. A collection of Nazi soldiers is awful strange.

6th Wisconsin--Did you go to Madison by any chance? If so I know who you're talking about. He was really terrific.

Tiger Tank reporting in... Nice King Tiger by far the best King Tiger i've seen... Now we need to get a large Tiger I in just grey... Hopefully we get this soon and pray for next month...

Overall good release!!!

Thanks Saber and 6th Wisconsin for your insightful responses.
I was actually in the medical corp during the Vietnam war and many can't understand my interest in this hobby after experiencing some real horrors. Still I love history and enjoy capturing a moment of it with my toy troops.
I try to keep an open mind and enjoy most of the posts on this forum.

Saber,

I definitely can appreciate your view on this. Well thought out. It really comes down to what you personally like and are comfortable with collecting. I have seen photos of fabulous displays of the LAH marching through the streets of Berlin, which I appreciate for the history involved in the display and the artwork of the pieces. Everybody has his or her own line...and that's what should matter most to that collector.

Very very interesting comments on the LAH series.
Coming from asia, i find myself unable to collect anything depicting the japanese army during ww2.
I am more sensitive then most, so not even battle scenes that have anything to do with the japanese army.

for those that who have reservations against the LAH series, I totally understand.
Personally i am not critical to collectors who collects LAH and not even any ww2 japanese army collectables/minis/action figures etc....

Regarding LAH, personally I tend to keep an open mind.
It is history, its a collectable and yes, under the guidance of K&C, it had become a **** fine piece of display art!!!
;)

Very very interesting comments on the LAH series.
Coming from asia, i find myself unable to collect anything depicting the japanese army during ww2.
I am more sensitive then most, so not even battle scenes that have anything to do with the japanese army.

for those that who have reservations against the LAH series, I totally understand.
Personally i am not critical to collectors who collects LAH and not even any ww2 japanese army collectables/minis/action figures etc....

Regarding LAH, personally I tend to keep an open mind.
It is history, its a collectable and yes, under the guidance of K&C, it had become a **** fine piece of display art!!!
;)

I too have reasons why i don't collect Japanese troops,i feel uneasy somehow.Just as well really,couldn't afford another range!.;)

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back