The Albatros have landed!!! (2 Viewers)

Al - I have seen the RED / Albatros up on Ebay and it has sold very quickly - matter a fact - I believe it is the most popular of the three.

FOKKERS - will be a welcome addition with the Albatros ! Can't wait for them to get out.

Al - I have seen the RED / Albatros up on Ebay and it has sold very quickly - matter a fact - I believe it is the most popular of the three.

FOKKERS - will be a welcome addition with the Albatros! Can't wait for them to get out.
Hi Ron. Just as a matter of interest, do you happen to remember the amount that the red Albatros went for? I've never seen it listed and I'm curious about the current price. Thanks. -- Al

Hi Ron. Just as a matter of interest, do you happen to remember the amount that the red Albatros went for? I've never seen it listed and I'm curious about the current price. Thanks. -- Al

Last I saw was about - $350 - $400 range too

I have had a few inquires on if I had any for sale - but I just have the one in my collection. There is a demand out there for those who wish to sell !

Last I saw was about - $350 - $400 range too

I have had a few inquires on if I had any for sale - but I just have the one in my collection. There is a demand out there for those who wish to sell !
Thanks for the info. I only have the one, as well, and I don't think it will be going anywhere.:wink2: -- Al

Al

LOL - Good Call - these are great planes and the Fokkers coming out will be great too !

Start saving your pennies and be ready !! Thats what I am doing !

Reviving this thread once again in conjunction with the new KC 'Collector'which contains the 3 Fokker D-7's initially shown last fall and 2 brand new Albatros, one flown by Paul Baumer and the other by Ernst Udet. The Fokkers look real nice but I still have my concerns about the accuracy of the paint schemes and one or two other things. The new Albatros are a really creative choice and look to be pretty accurate from the paint job aspect. The aircraft themselves appear to be the same D-5 models from the first 3 models, with the same muddled details, ie., they have details of the D-5, but also some crucial details of the D-3. However, that is beside the point in regards to the paint schemes. The Baumer Albatros is an inspired choice, very colorful, with Baumer's famous Edelweiss on the side. This aircraft KC has chosen to do can be found in a color illustration in Osprey #32, Albatros Aces of World War 1, illustration #7 on page 67. The silver Udet Albatros I find to be a real interesting choice. It is not the most famous aircraft he flew, but it's very obscurity makes it an outstanding choice, IMO. A color illustration of it can be found in Osprey #77, Albatros Aces of World War 1, part 2. It is illustration #20, on page 54, with an upper wing picture on page 60. I am very excited about these Albatros choices and hope to get them. The new Albatros, and the Fokkers, are each being done in the same small numbers of the first Albatros release, 150. There won't be time to hesitate, as I expect these will disappear as fast as the first ones. Excellent release, KC. -- Al

Al..

Look interesting aircraft thanks for the commentary on them
Mitch

No reaction/comments on the new aircraft? I like the choices KC has made for the Albatros, not so much for the Fokker D-7's as there are accuracy issues there. Anyone? -- Al

The new Baumer Albatros is a very unusual and colourful piece, I'm sorely tempted to pick one up even though WWI is not a collecting interest of mine. I think it definitely would make a great conversation piece. Judging from the first three releases demand for these aircraft is certainly there for collectors and speculators. I'm still waiting for the Red Baron's triplane and that's about it. Can't comment on the rivet issues as my knowledge on these birds is limited. ^&cool

I wish the K&C planes were more weathered, but I collect planes fom both world wars and wanted to add an albatros, which I think is a very attractive model. I placed an order for both of the new albatros planes yesterday. I am very excited about both designs but can't decide which I like best.

I wish the K&C planes were more weathered, but I collect planes fom both world wars and wanted to add an albatros, which I think is a very attractive model. I placed an order for both of the new albatros planes yesterday. I am very excited about both designs but can't decide which I like best.

Hello 6th Wisconsin,
I am also very interested in the new albatross planes, how did you place an order already? I could not find them on the K&C or Treefrog sites.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Walt

This post is related to the new Fokker D-7's from KC. Under the thread 'Andy's talk at the 2012 West Coaster', Andy has made reference to airplane camo patterns and how complexity plays a part in the decision of which plane/pattern gets manufactured. This statement relates directly to the new D-7's and my concerns about the paint patterns on them. As a matter of interest, all 3 of the subject Fokkers can be found as color illustrations in the Osprey book "Fokker D-7 Aces of World War 1; part 2", book #63 in the Aircraft of the Aces series. Only the all-black Jacobs Fokker with the devil on the fuselage appears to be strictly correct. Jacobs flew with Jasta 7 and it was not uncommon for these machines to be black. It is illustration #1, on page 50 of the book. Auffarth's green Fokker is inaccurate in that it should have the standard 5-color lozenge on both surfaces of both upper and lower wings. The KC version has a solid green upper surface on both wings and light blue undersurfaces. This plane is illustration #12, page 52. The last plane, Raben's red Jasta 18 Fokker, looks largely correct except the lower wing surfaces are light blue on the model, when, once again the lower wing surfaces should be the lozenge camo. This plane is illustraton #38, page 59. The lozenge camo was standard factory fabric on all but the earliest D-7's, which came in a streaked camo. The complexity of the lozenge camo to replicate on a model must have proved too time consuming and expensive for KC to overcome, thus the simple, but incorrect, light blue. I am guessing that KC had chosen to bring the models to the public with these inaccuracies in order to keep price and production problems down, rather than not do the models at all. The rivet counters,like me, will have to make their buying decisions accordingly. To the collectors who just plain likes them and wants them, they are handsome looking aircraft and the accuracy problems won't bother them. At any rate, this is my take on the paint schemes, and coupled with Andy's explanation about complexity, answers my concerns as to why the Fokkers are painted the way they are. -- Al

This post is related to the new Fokker D-7's from KC. Under the thread 'Andy's talk at the 2012 West Coaster', Andy has made reference to airplane camo patterns and how complexity plays a part in the decision of which plane/pattern gets manufactured. This statement relates directly to the new D-7's and my concerns about the paint patterns on them. As a matter of interest, all 3 of the subject Fokkers can be found as color illustrations in the Osprey book "Fokker D-7 Aces of World War 1; part 2", book #63 in the Aircraft of the Aces series. Only the all-black Jacobs Fokker with the devil on the fuselage appears to be strictly correct. Jacobs flew with Jasta 7 and it was not uncommon for these machines to be black. It is illustration #1, on page 50 of the book. Auffarth's green Fokker is inaccurate in that it should have the standard 5-color lozenge on both surfaces of both upper and lower wings. The KC version has a solid green upper surface on both wings and light blue undersurfaces. This plane is illustration #12, page 52. The last plane, Raben's red Jasta 18 Fokker, looks largely correct except the lower wing surfaces are light blue on the model, when, once again the lower wing surfaces should be the lozenge camo. This plane is illustraton #38, page 59. The lozenge camo was standard factory fabric on all but the earliest D-7's, which came in a streaked camo. The complexity of the lozenge camo to replicate on a model must have proved too time consuming and expensive for KC to overcome, thus the simple, but incorrect, light blue. I am guessing that KC had chosen to bring the models to the public with these inaccuracies in order to keep price and production problems down, rather than not do the models at all. The rivet counters,like me, will have to make their buying decisions accordingly. To the collectors who just plain likes them and wants them, they are handsome looking aircraft and the accuracy problems won't bother them. At any rate, this is my take on the paint schemes, and coupled with Andy's explanation about complexity, answers my concerns as to why the Fokkers are painted the way they are. -- Al
I was examining the pictures of the D-7's again and noticed I somehow missed the light blue color on the underside of the wings of the Jacobs black Fokker. This is incorrect. The wing undersides were probably black and if not would have been the factory lozenge camo fabric. -- Al

Reviving this thread once again in conjunction with the new KC 'Collector'which contains the 3 Fokker D-7's initially shown last fall and 2 brand new Albatros, one flown by Paul Baumer and the other by Ernst Udet. The Fokkers look real nice but I still have my concerns about the accuracy of the paint schemes and one or two other things. The new Albatros are a really creative choice and look to be pretty accurate from the paint job aspect. The aircraft themselves appear to be the same D-5 models from the first 3 models, with the same muddled details, ie., they have details of the D-5, but also some crucial details of the D-3. However, that is beside the point in regards to the paint schemes. The Baumer Albatros is an inspired choice, very colorful, with Baumer's famous Edelweiss on the side. This aircraft KC has chosen to do can be found in a color illustration in Osprey #32, Albatros Aces of World War 1, illustration #7 on page 67. The silver Udet Albatros I find to be a real interesting choice. It is not the most famous aircraft he flew, but it's very obscurity makes it an outstanding choice, IMO. A color illustration of it can be found in Osprey #77, Albatros Aces of World War 1, part 2. It is illustration #20, on page 54, with an upper wing picture on page 60. I am very excited about these Albatros choices and hope to get them. The new Albatros, and the Fokkers, are each being done in the same small numbers of the first Albatros release, 150. There won't be time to hesitate, as I expect these will disappear as fast as the first ones. Excellent release, KC. -- Al
I forgot to mention in relation to the silver Udet Albatros, there are two photos of this unusual machine to be found on page 63 of the above mentioned Osprey #77, that will be of interest. They are good shots of the paint scheme. -- Al

Thanks for the update. Have just ordered the title to have a good look at these aircraft.
Mitch

Greetings

For me personally, what really turned me off from the K&C World War I planes is the very limited number of production. I like collecting these models and King and Country makes nice pieces, but I can't buy $500+ worth of planes at once, no way. I think they could make 300 of these and still sell them all or even 500 and sell them. There is no reason to produce only 150 of each scheme. I know some collectors who tried to get these and couldn't and were a bit beyond furious then couldn't. It seems K&C is angering people more than pleasing them these days. I know I will be hard pressed to buy any more of their products after missing out on the Albatros I wanted just because I couldn't "preorder" it.:(

Another thing I don't care for is the perfect finishes on the airplanes. The JJD stuff is far superior in my opinion. I'm glad JJD does not do such limited editions. It gives everyone a chance to pick up the airplane they want and enjoy it in their collection.

I have decided to pass on the new Fokker D-7's. Just too many concerns about the accuracy of the paint jobs and some of the physical features. To add to the above list, the Raben red Fokker also appears to have the nose painted silver when it should be white. This might be a trick of light in the photos of the model, but if not, it is an odd mistake to make. Will wait for the Baumer Albatros. -- Al

Greetings

For me personally, what really turned me off from the K&C World War I planes is the very limited number of production. I like collecting these models and King and Country makes nice pieces, but I can't buy $500+ worth of planes at once, no way. I think they could make 300 of these and still sell them all or even 500 and sell them. There is no reason to produce only 150 of each scheme. I know some collectors who tried to get these and couldn't and were a bit beyond furious then couldn't. It seems K&C is angering people more than pleasing them these days. I know I will be hard pressed to buy any more of their products after missing out on the Albatros I wanted just because I couldn't "preorder" it.:(

Another thing I don't care for is the perfect finishes on the airplanes. The JJD stuff is far superior in my opinion. I'm glad JJD does not do such limited editions. It gives everyone a chance to pick up the airplane they want and enjoy it in their collection.

I couldn't agree with you more Corey!!! I don't understand the need to release all 3 at the same time. My most treasured items in my collection are my KC and JJ World War 1 planes. Releasing all 3 at the same time forces many collectors to pick and choose what to get while some speculators snag up the rest of them only to sell later at a higher price. I feel they could be released 1 a month or every other month to give the collectors a chance to purchase them. Releasing them 1 at a time is not going to hurt them sales wise. They will still sell. If this trend continues with KC I will be forced to abandon collecting them and sticking with JJ. At least their planes are not that limited and they don't release them all at once.

lI don't understand the very limited nature of the aircraft releases. The first Albatros release sold out and disappeared very rapidly. Demand for these aircraft is obviously there. Perhaps an increase to the limited '250' plateau would take some of the panic buy preassure off the collector's who would like to purchase one or more of the releases. Three at once is a big bite out of an average collector's wallet. Being able to spread out the purchases would help. JMO. -- A

Users who are viewing this thread

Back