"The Angel of the Battlefield" (1 Viewer)

PolarBear

Major
Sarah Low, of Dover, New Hampshire (see photo below) was one of 20,000 women in Union and Confederate medical service during the Civil War. Among the well-known women who served were Dr. Mary Edwards Walker, Clara Barton, Dorothea Dix, Susie King Taylor, and Louisa May Alcott, author of Little Women. There were male nurses as well such as the poet Walt Whitman. The Union Navy had some of the first African American nurses. The Union's Mississippi River Squadron had its own hospital ship which included the first US Navy female nurses. Five of them were African American and they were aboard the hospital ship USS Red Rover which had been converted from a captured Confederate vessel. The Red Rover was to play an important medical role at Vicksburg.

Attachments

• AngelOfBattlefieldSm.jpg
    AngelOfBattlefieldSm.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 1,562
  • Sarah Low.jpg
    Sarah Low.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 1,423
Celebrating the 150th Anniversary of the Civil War Nurse

Attachments

• AngelOfBattlefieldStamp.jpg
    AngelOfBattlefieldStamp.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 663
I really like this little scene Randy. Is that the new nurse figure with the old WB surgery set?

You seem to be picking up a steady stream of great looking figures in recent months.

MD

I really like this little scene Randy. Is that the new nurse figure with the old WB surgery set?

You seem to be picking up a steady stream of great looking figures in recent months.

MD

Yes the nurse is the new WB figure and the surgery set is from Richard Walker's Forward March line.

Randy

A really nice looking vinette you have provided for us Randy. My nurse gets to me this coming week. Hopefully the Surgeon set and the Wounded set both arrive next month as they are now scheduled to.
:smile2: Mike

Very nice Randy, I think a repaint of the apron and she would suffice as a Victorian scullery maid ( I thought of adding her to my Rorke's Drift as Margaretta in the movie Zulu) or with a bit of adaptation HM Queen Victoria.

The nurse is a very nice figure and you put up a great diorama together with the "Forward March" surgery set.
Stunning work, Randy, as usual :smile2:
Konrad

Sarah Low, of Dover, New Hampshire (see photo below) was one of 20,000 women in Union and Confederate medical service during the Civil War. Among the well-known women who served were Dr. Mary Edwards Walker, Clara Barton, Dorothea Dix, Susie King Taylor, and Louisa May Alcott, author of Little Women. There were male nurses as well such as the poet Walt Whitman. The Union Navy had some of the first African American nurses. The Union's Mississippi River Squadron had its own hospital ship which included the first US Navy female nurses. Five of them were African American and they were aboard the hospital ship USS Red Rover which had been converted from a captured Confederate vessel. The Red Rover was to play an important medical role at Vicksburg.

Great picture Randy

Cheers

Martyn:)

Very nice Randy, I think a repaint of the apron and she would suffice as a Victorian scullery maid ( I thought of adding her to my Rorke's Drift as Margaretta in the movie Zulu) or with a bit of adaptation HM Queen Victoria.

I might nick that idea Scott^&grin

Cheers

Martyn:)

Once again another of your beautifully photograph an staged mini photo dioramas Randy and again bringing your WBritains figures to life:salute:::salute:::salute::

Thank You all for your comments.

Here is the book I have on CW nurses:

Attachments

• 591126-L.jpg
    591126-L.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 162
Below is information on Susie King Taylor the most famous African American nurse during the Civil War and a link to her Civil War memoir that is available full-text online. Since the new WB nurse figure is listed as Nurse #1 it would be great if the next one was based on Miss Taylor.

Here are the links to Susie King Taylor :

http://www.kingtisdell.org/sktaylor.htm
http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/nge/Article.jsp?id=h-1097

Here is the link to King's Memoir about being a CW nurse that is complete online.

http://docsouth.unc.edu/neh/taylorsu/taylorsu.html

Attachments

• Susie_King_Taylor__public_domain_.jpg
    Susie_King_Taylor__public_domain_.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 178
  • taylocv.jpg
    taylocv.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 180

Funny you should say that as I was thinking about replacing the arms to have her sweeping and do a repaint!
Ken

I have thought about this likewise so that I could add a "civilian element" to my W. Britain farmhouse/farmstead. It would be really nice to see a line of civilian figures that would go with the different ranges.

The usual style of apron at the time was the pinner apron which had a bib front above the waist. The apron on the figure did exist. The dark grayish dress is pretty good as is the figure's hairstyle. Looks slightly like Clara Barton but too tall for her.

DOCTOR Mary Walker (on the cover) would have been insulted to be called a nurse.:wink2:

DOCTOR Mary Walker (on the cover) would have been insulted to be called a nurse.:wink2:

Scott

As you can plainly see the subtitle of the book is HOSPITAL WORKERS and that is why she is on the cover. The book covers: Dr. Walker, nurses, administrators, matrons, laundresses and custodial workers. My use of the book has been for information on nurses such Clara Barton and Susie King Taylor.

The usual style of apron at the time was the pinner apron which had a bib front above the waist. The apron on the figure did exist. The dark grayish dress is pretty good as is the figure's hairstyle. Looks slightly like Clara Barton but too tall for her.

Scott

Ken Osen who sculpted this figure and his wife Ericka, a costume historian and like Ken a re-enactor spend a lot of effort to make these figures as accurate as possible.

I have thought about this likewise so that I could add a "civilian element" to my W. Britain farmhouse/farmstead. It would be really nice to see a line of civilian figures that would go with the different ranges.

RePaint her apron and hair Mike and stand her by the table from the 19th C furniture set and place inside the house you have. Looks like she would have been cleaning the table perhaps getting ready to make some bread ^&grin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back