The Death of Letane (1 Viewer)

UKReb

Command Sergeant Major
Scanned this picture from this months Toy Soldier magazine.

It depicts the death of Captain William Latane (pronounced LAT-NEE) the only Confederate casualty during Stuart's famous ride around McClellan's Army of the Potomac in the summer of 1862.

Brian-this is a fabulous piece of sculpting-the poses; the detail; the painting and the action depicted is-in my book-outstanding and really first class.

This type of fighting duo scenario is exactly what this blue and the gray collector has been continually asking for. Afterall it's what made Conte's Civil War fighting sets standout from all the other manufacturers-but with this set you have gone one step further by producing a mounted fighting set. As far as I can see from the picture these two could be used in a multitude of diorama settings and I have already ordered two sets from David at TMTerrain who gave me the heads up on this magnificent pair Friday evening.

Well done sir and I raise my old battered gray kepi to you-Excellent work and I look forward to more of the same from you further downstream.

Reb

scan0001-1.jpg

Scanned this picture from this months Toy Soldier magazine.

It depicts the death of Captain William Latane (pronounced LAT-NEE) the only Confederate casualty during Stuart's famous ride around McClellan's Army of the Potomac in the summer of 1862.

Brian-this is a fabulous piece of sculpting-the poses; the detail; the painting and the action depicted is-in my book-outstanding and really first class.

This type of fighting duo scenario is exactly what this blue and the gray collector has been continually asking for. Afterall it's what made Conte's Civil War fighting sets standout from all the other manufacturers-but with this set you have gone one step further by producing a mounted fighting set. As far as I can see from the picture these two could be used in a multitude of diorama settings and I have already ordered two sets from David at TMTerrain who gave me the heads up on this magnificent pair Friday evening.

Well done sir and I raise my old battered gray kepi to you-Excellent work and I look forward to more of the same from you further downstream.

Reb

scan0001-1.jpg

Reb,

Thanks for the kind kudos. The Death Of Latane was a great piece for us to do as it re-introduces us back into ACW after a short hiatus. We have this great set and then another one of our biggest Zouve sets to follow just a few months later. This genre has been a hit with collectors and we continue to sell out of every set we make ( as of writing I've got barely 25 sets left of our ever popular Wheats Tiger Zouves ). So look for more exciting additions to follow.

On another related note: One of the biggest opportunities in the industry is an evolution that can and should occur on all products. Look for less " hype " about new products and increasing value and extreme quality for the dollar. With our July release collectors will witness a sort of " turning point " in the industry. Every product, whether it be vehicles or figures will evolve in exciting ways. I dare so the industry will be very suprised and delighted with what will become the new standard in collectable miniatures.

Not only will you see paint qualities take a leap into the Petersburg school of highlights and subtle value changes ( you can see this beginning to occur on our latest release: Autoblindo, 95th Rifles and Zulu ) but animation and armor will take a huge leap. Vehicles with open engine ways, removable tracks ,opening hatches throughout and figure booster packs to add even more multi-purpose diorama excitement.

And the best part: pricing that rarely differs from current price points. Keep the hobby fun and "stress-less" when making set selections, its my mantra going forward:) Offer more for less, thats my number one job: lets keep the hobby fun not expensive!

Forward Ho!

warm regards,

Brian

Reb,

Thanks for the kind kudos. The Death Of Latane was a great piece for us to do as it re-introduces us back into ACW after a short hiatus. We have this great set and then another one of our biggest Zouve sets to follow just a few months later. This genre has been a hit with collectors and we continue to sell out of every set we make ( as of writing I've got barely 25 sets left of our ever popular Wheats Tiger Zouves ). So look for more exciting additions to follow.

On another related note: One of the biggest opportunities in the industry is an evolution that can and should occur on all products. Look for less " hype " about new products and increasing value and extreme quality for the dollar. With our July release collectors will witness a sort of " turning point " in the industry. Every product, whether it be vehicles or figures will evolve in exciting ways. I dare so the industry will be very suprised and delighted with what will become the new standard in collectable miniatures.

Not only will you see paint qualities take a leap into the Petersburg school of highlights and subtle value changes ( you can see this beginning to occur on our latest release: Autoblindo, 95th Rifles and Zulu ) but animation and armor will take a huge leap. Vehicles with open engine ways, removable tracks ,opening hatches throughout and figure booster packs to add even more multi-purpose diorama excitement.

And the best part: pricing that rarely differs from current price points. Keep the hobby fun and "stress-less" when making set selections, its my mantra going forward:) Offer more for less, thats my number one job: lets keep the hobby fun not expensive!

Forward Ho!

warm regards,

Brian

WOW , that is excellent! Is it one piece or two? Either way hand to hand sets are always alot of fun. This is a very fun collectable figure/s.

Reb,

Forward Ho!

warm regards,

Brian

This announcement just electrified me! You gotta love the enthusiasm! I can't wait to see CS's bright future unfold; the new innovations sound like they have the potential to be spectatcular. And who can argue about better quality and only small cost increases? Brian, you are doing a fantastic job! This really just keeps getting better and better! Thanks again for a job well done on the incredible looking Death of Letane piece as well! :)

Last edited:
Will have these figures available this Sunday at the Birmingham Toy Soldier Show.
Mark

Took delivery of my set from David and Mark-both figures have superb animation particularly the horses-one small point I personally would have preferred just a slight sheen on Latane's steed rather than the dull finish particularly as they are posed in a battle stance-but that aside as far as I'm concerned the're another winner from Brian's stable.

Reb

DSC00057-1.jpg

Took delivery of my set from David and Mark-both figures have superb animation particularly the horses-one small point I personally would have preferred just a slight sheen on Latane's steed rather than the dull finish particularly as they are posed in a battle stance-but that aside as far as I'm concerned the're another winner from Brian's stable.

Reb

DSC00057-1.jpg

Great photo, excellent lighting. It brings my southern blood to a boil. Seccession now! Hurrah for the Confederacy, Hurrah!:D

regards,

Brian

is proposed to extend future of cavalry soldiers in the Civil War series? I have the four mounted figures of the Union:D:)

Reb

DSC00057-1.jpg

That's a really attractive shot Bob...very nice as always.

Both of those CS figures are just fabulous Bob. I have looked at the photos of the ACW offerings by Collector's Showcase but haven't made a purchase - concerned how they would "size up" and compare with my WB figures. The CS cavalry, artillery, and Iron Brigade figures are all attractive to me.
Mike

Mike,
I think The first figures were a little on the large size but now are more 1/32.
Mark

Mike,
I think The first figures were a little on the large size but now are more 1/32.
Mark

Mike

Mark is quite correct-plus both Reb and Yank Infantry figures received a lot of bad press for their "unusual" facial expressions and "greenish" flesh tint. I remolded my sets and repainted with pucker flesh acrylic but they were never my favorite figures by a long shot.

However, the CS artillery sets I thought were excellent-great poses and super animation and I ended up with one Union set and two Reb sets. When I saw the soon to be released CS Zouave officer I was struck on how close he was to two of the Reb gunners-the lanyard puller and the fella holding both hands over his ears-centre figures in this shot:-

DSC01288.jpg

I had promised myself for a long time to convert/paint one of the Reb sets purely to distinguish them a little differently to their colleagues but plumbed instead to just turn these two particular gunners into a couple of extra Garrards Tiger officers by simply adding a saber to one and moving the other's arm but leave one hand covering his ear which apparently has just been shot off. For the painting picked up the back of the uniform design from Troiani's book-easy conversions as per pictures:-

Reb

DSC00015-4.jpg

DSC000033.jpg

Mike

Mark is quite correct-plus both Reb and Yank Infantry figures received a lot of bad press for their "unusual" facial expressions and "greenish" flesh tint. I remolded my sets and repainted with pucker flesh acrylic but they were never my favorite figures by a long shot.

However, the CS artillery sets I thought were excellent-great poses and super animation and I ended up with one Union set and two Reb sets. When I saw the soon to be released CS Zouave officer I was struck on how close he was to two of the Reb gunners-the lanyard puller and the fella holding both hands over his ears-centre figures in this shot:-

DSC01288.jpg

I had promised myself for a long time to convert/paint one of the Reb sets purely to distinguish them a little differently to their colleagues but plumbed instead to just turn these two particular gunners into a couple of extra Garrards Tiger officers by simply adding a saber to one and moving the other's arm but leave one hand covering his ear which apparently has just been shot off. For the painting picked up the back of the uniform design from Troiani's book-easy conversions as per pictures:-

Reb

DSC00015-4.jpg

DSC000033.jpg

Wow. Color me impressed.
If anyone is interested, I created an album on my website page showing the new Collector's Showcase Union Officer (from Death of Letane) compared to ACW cavalry pieces from both King and Country and WBritain. I would have posted them on this thread but didn't have the time to figure out how. Chris

Mike,
Mark

Mike

Reb

Wow. Color me impressed.
If anyone is interested, I created an album on my website page showing the new Collector's Showcase Union Officer (from Death of Letane) compared to ACW cavalry pieces from both King and Country and WBritain. I would have posted them on this thread but didn't have the time to figure out how. Chris

Thankyou gentlemen. Very nice conversions Bob - you certainly have more courage and skill than me. Chris I will have to check out your CS, K&C, WB comparisons.
Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back