The Falling Soldier (1 Viewer)

jazzeum

Four Star General
The most iconic photo of the Spanish Civil War — and maybe of all war — is Robert Capa’s photo of a Republican soldier the moment he is shot and killed, death in action.

The soldier is thought to Frederico Borrell Garcia, an Anarchist from Valencia. He was killed in action around Cordoba on September 5, 1936, when Capa took the photo. Here are two photos of Borrell Garcia.

In the book “Heart of Spain,” Richard Whelan said that
The photograph is an overwhelmingly powerful statement of the human existential dilemma, as the solitary man is struck down by an unseen enemy, as if by Fate itself..the photograph is a haunting symbol of all Republican soldiers who died in the war, and of Republican Spain itself, flinging itself bravely forward and being struck down.

The photograph has not been free of controversy and some believe it may have been staged but there is no definitive proof that it was staged so I’ve always considered it genuine.

I’ve always admired this photo for the reasons set forth above and because it shows death in action, the moment someone is killed. In early January 2020 I asked Attica Miniatures to design a figure based on the photo. Finally, after a lot of work — and real life intervening in the form of the pandemic — here are the results, with which I’m quite happy, to say the least. They have done a fantastic job.

First, a photo of the dying soldier in color, and secondly, photos of the figure.

That is a brilliant result, Brad. Hard to believe that such an iconic photo/moment has never been recreated in a miniature before. Bravo for pursuing it and getting it done. It looks fantastic. -- Al

Absolutely outstanding . . . Certainly a great addition to your collection. 👏
Mike

That is a brilliant result, Brad. Hard to believe that such an iconic photo/moment has never been recreated in a miniature before. Bravo for pursuing it and getting it done. It looks fantastic. -- Al

Thanks Al. I looked around and couldn’t find anything so I decided to ask Attica to see if they could design something.

Absolutely outstanding . . . Certainly a great addition to your collection. 👏
Mike

Thanks Mike. Definitely a great piece and very well done.

Beautiful piece Brad if death can be beautiful but either way a great addition to your collection.{bravo}}
Mark

That is a fantastic sculpt and paint job Brad! Wow, talk about a unique piece! They really captured the moment with precision, and the basing of it is wonderful! Congratulations on a very moving piece.

Joe

That is a fantastic sculpt and paint job Brad! Wow, talk about a unique piece! They really captured the moment with precision, and the basing of it is wonderful! Congratulations on a very moving piece.

Joe

Thanks Joe. Means a lot coming from you with all your wonderful pieces.

Thanks for sharing this with us Brad, must be a thrill to have essentially a one of a kind item in your collection, also must have been nice to see a project through from start to finish, good for you, it's a terrific item, extremely well sculpted and painted.

That is a great figure. I can only marvel at the artist and whoever designed it to support the figure in that position.

Thanks for sharing this with us Brad, must be a thrill to have essentially a one of a kind item in your collection, also must have been nice to see a project through from start to finish, good for you, it's a terrific item, extremely well sculpted and painted.

Thanks George. It came out better than expected. Attica does very good work and has painted some very good figures for me but obviously this one — which they made from scratch — is at the top of the list.

That is a great figure. I can only marvel at the artist and whoever designed it to support the figure in that position.

Thanks Doug. The figure is actually separate from the base. They fit together seamlessly.

Great addition to your collection Brad:salute::

Years ago my Mum told me a school friend of hers had joined the International Brigade, he was just 17. He survived to return to Battersea in SW London

Stay safe

Martyn:)

Iconic, overdue and finally very well done. Almost a hobby within the hobby to create and present models after such famous illustrations.
Thank you for sharing
regards
Wolfgang

Wow Brad! Thank you for sharing this with us. It’s very moving to see it in 3D.

Great addition to your collection Brad:salute::

Years ago my Mum told me a school friend of hers had joined the International Brigade, he was just 17. He survived to return to Battersea in SW London

Stay safe

Martyn:)

Thanks Martyn. Glad he got back.

Iconic, overdue and finally very well done. Almost a hobby within the hobby to create and present models after such famous illustrations.
Thank you for sharing
regards
Wolfgang

Thank you. All thanks go to Attica. It is indeed surprising it hasn’t been done before.

Wow Brad! Thank you for sharing this with us. It’s very moving to see it in 3D.

Thanks Larry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back