The Glory of Rome (1 Viewer)

FANTASTIC ADDITIONS!!

I am dangerously close to having too many chiefs and not enough Indians. I am a sucker for mounted Roman Legates.

Hopefully in another few days we can see some opposition................:tongue:

The wounded vignette- is that a new style of figure for FL?? I do not seem to recall them doing vignettes before. I can see me putting that one right next to my KC Barbarian/Legionaire vignette.

Love the mounted Legate and wounded Roman set. Two more must get pieces by FL. This has the potential of being a great line! Keep up the good work!

The mounted Legate is very impressive, even in the one small pic we have seen so far!

FANTASTIC ADDITIONS!!

I am dangerously close to having too many chiefs and not enough Indians. I am a sucker for mounted Roman Legates.

Hopefully in another few days we can see some opposition................:tongue:

The wounded vignette- is that a new style of figure for FL?? I do not seem to recall them doing vignettes before. I can see me putting that one right next to my KC Barbarian/Legionaire vignette.

The wounded vignette is similar to others FL has done before. There have been a few in other ranges. I think the NAP0162 set, with one Prussian musketeer stumbling over another was one of the first two-figure vignettes. Either way, the wounded Roman set will be a good one.

Noah

These new figures really look fantastic. I remember thinking: the Romans are great looking, now all we need are some other original poses beyond the basic ones (the 1st 8 now being released). Well, here they are!
Now, I am an ignorant regarding this period (but might cultivate myself soon^&grin). Can anyone please explain the different helmets worn by the first 8 releases? Different corps? Many thanks in advance.

Regards,
Paulo

These new figures really look fantastic. I remember thinking: the Romans are great looking, now all we need are some other original poses beyond the basic ones (the 1st 8 now being released). Well, here they are!
Now, I am an ignorant regarding this period (but might cultivate myself soon^&grin). Can anyone please explain the different helmets worn by the first 8 releases? Different corps? Many thanks in advance.

Regards,
Paulo

Paulo, I believe the different helmets are simply different styles that would have been worn concurrently. Men of the same century or even contubernium would have probably had a mix of different helmet styles. If I am not mistaken, I think the figures ROM005-008 are wearing a bronze 'Coolus' type helmet, which disappeared from usage in the 1st century AD. The other figures, ROM001-004, are wearing the more iconic 'Imperial Gallic' helmet, made of iron. It began usage in the late 1st century BC and became more widespread later on.

From a historical standpoint, FL did a really good job of mixing the helmets to create a more realistic release.

Noah

Paulo, I believe the different helmets are simply different styles that would have been worn concurrently. Men of the same century or even contubernium would have probably had a mix of different helmet styles. If I am not mistaken, I think the figures ROM005-008 are wearing a bronze 'Coolus' type helmet, which disappeared from usage in the 1st century AD. The other figures, ROM001-004, are wearing the more iconic 'Imperial Gallic' helmet, made of iron. It began usage in the late 1st century BC and became more widespread later on.

From a historical standpoint, FL did a really good job of mixing the helmets to create a more realistic release.

Noah

Thanks Noah.

Regards,
Paulo

you are absolute right...

Noah

Enough of the RAH RAH RAH, time and opportunity for constructive suggestions:

Assuming some of the FL purchasers want to recreate an ambush situation (Teutoburger Wald? {eek3}), the Roman legionnaires while marching in rainy weather had their shields wrapped. It is therefore highly likely that many unplanned conflicts were fought with the shields still wrapped in cloth. If FL offered this option for its legionnaires, I can identify two advantages: first, there is more variety to the legionnaires and secondly, the price might inch downwards as the wrapped shield might require less effort to produce. Food for thought.

Assuming some of the FL purchasers want to recreate an ambush situation (Teutoburger Wald? {eek3}), the Roman legionnaires while marching in rainy weather had their shields wrapped. It is therefore highly likely that many unplanned conflicts were fought with the shields still wrapped in cloth. If FL offered this option for its legionnaires, I can identify two advantages: first, there is more variety to the legionnaires and secondly, the price might inch downwards as the wrapped shield might require less effort to produce. Food for thought.

Sounds nice, variety and originality!

Cheers,
Paulo

Great suggestion Andanna ... it would certainly add some variety to a scene!

Great suggestion although it would " Hog tie " most collectors into using them in an ambush scenario .. and although I'm with you on doing Kalkriese :wink2::wink2: that's my intent ( facts be ****ed ) ...Matt is a business man out to sell as many figures as possible as can be seen from this quote from the new newsletter . "" Of course, the figures can be used for a much wider variety of military conflicts against various enemies such as the Dacians, Parthians, Gauls, Celts, etc. from the 1st Century AD up to the period of the Late Roman Empire "" as you see he has his eyes on the much bigger picture . That being said I do like your cost saving ideas and if they would do some in the future I'll but them too :wink2: Regards Gebhard

Love the mounted Legate and wounded Roman set. Two more must get pieces by FL. This has the potential of being a great line! Keep up the good work!

I would agree....The FL Roman Line looks top notch....These 2 future releases are "Amazing"...The poses are natural, realistic. Two of the best sculpts I have ever seen....Body positions are not stiff or un-natural.... paint detail is Hi-Level....Well Done First Legion{bravo}}

I would agree....The FL Roman Line looks top notch....These 2 future releases are "Amazing"...The poses are natural, realistic. Two of the best sculpts I have ever seen....Body positions are not stiff or un-natural.... paint detail is Hi-Level....Well Done First Legion{bravo}}

They do look good :smile2::smile2::smile2:

image166.jpg

image167.jpg

I am all for variety and cost savings but I can see a couple of reservations about this idea. While they marched that way, I am not sure how often they really fought that way, even in ambush. First off, the times the Romans were completely surprised are undoubtedly a small portion of total battles. Second, even where they were, I am sure the wrapped shields were heavier and more unwieldy so I doubt they would have fought with the wrapping in place unless there was really no chance to remove it, which may have not have happened for all legionaries even at the Wald. All that said, I think it would be fine to offer the option but not to replace the regular figures for those collectors that favor the standard battle dress.

These are really good. I don't have any but have been told they are expensive.
Can you get unpainted castings which could be used with plastic figures like Conte Collctibles did when they had some metal sets painted a solid color for use by plastic guys

These are really good. I don't have any but have been told they are expensive.
Can you get unpainted castings which could be used with plastic figures like Conte Collctibles did when they had some metal sets painted a solid color for use by plastic guys

I believe they have unpainted 40mm figures. ^&confuse Not 100% sure. On the left margin of their website I believe they list their unpainted figures.

Remco Big Caesar Galley was my favorite toy as a kid .
A couple years ago I bought a Conte Roman ship at Hackensack show and love it.
I'm gonna need some more Romans to go with it

I realise this may be tempting fate but Mark and I, at TMTerrain, are very excited as we have a parcel full of the new Roman figures (rom001 to ROM016!!!) winging its way to us from China that should be with us for the show. Matt has pulled out all the stops and got us a few sets of ROM001 to ROM008 and then one of each of ROM009 to 16.
We have a space left for them on the stand so come and find us and be the first to get your hands on these beauties!
If you want to make sure you get them on the day then give us a ring or email us and reserve them.
David
TMTerrain

I realise this may be tempting fate but Mark and I, at TMTerrain, are very excited as we have a parcel full of the new Roman figures (rom001 to ROM016!!!) winging its way to us from China that should be with us for the show. Matt has pulled out all the stops and got us a few sets of ROM001 to ROM008 and then one of each of ROM009 to 16.
David
TMTerrain

ROM 009 to 16 {eek3}{eek3}{eek3}

Yes, ROM009-ROM016...more Romans...Aquilifer, Imaginifer, Optio, Centurion, Tribune, Cornicen, and 2 more Legionnaire Variants.

romancovernew.jpg

romancatcoverlarge.jpg

Pre-Order to start any day now, shipping around end July. ROM017-ROM024 will immediately follow....

Best,

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back