The "I got new K&C today" thread. (1 Viewer)

Eazy

Sergeant Major
I thought it might be a good idea to start a thread where forum members can let the others know about their most recent purchases from all eras and their honest opinions of them.

Yesterday i got 2 new tanks: the Afrika Korps Panzer III and PanzerIV.

They're really nice pieces but then you knew I was going to say that anyway!

I can't decide which one i like best. I'm leaning towards the PanzerIII because i think the crew figures add that bit extra. The one crew member emerging from the side hatch is an especially nice pose. I also like the stowage on the PanzerIII. The Nazi flag draped on the turret and all those petrol cans at the back. There is a lot of character in this piece.

With the Panzer IV the tank commander is the same figure as the crewman with the Wittman's Last Tiger piece. He seems to be a slightly larger scale than the rest of the crew but only slightly.

Which came first? The Wittman Tiger 007 or the AK PanzerIV?

As for the tank sculpts themselves the PanzerIV is the winner. The shielding around the turret is a nice touch and gives it an unusual look compared to the normal desert Panzers IV's you see. Not sure how common this shielding actually was but it really adds to the look.

Overall i'd highly recommend these tanks

I am not sure if I like the new feature of the guns pivoting up and down. The spring was misaligned on my Panzer 4 and when I pulled it out of the box, SPROING...I then glued the gun in place and so I will not be reselling it any time soon. My newest piece is one of the original production CharB's. Attractive model. Pivoting gun useless, too much play for gun to stay in raised position. Just go back to the old days of casting them in place. Maddadicus

Good point on the gun on the PanzerIV. Mine works ok. However although you can move the barrel up and down it will only remain in the down position thus rendering the movement feature a bit useless.

The gunbarrel on the Panzer III is fixed in position.

The gun barrel on the Panzer IV sounds like WS76 King Tiger gun, yeah you can move up it and down but it won't stay in any other position other than at very bottom of it's range. A little disappointed after getting use to being able to put the gun on the Wittman Tiger in any position you want, but the King Tiger is still a great piece, glad I got it and I just ordered the WS71 version. Looks like the Panzer III & IV are on my wish now too.

Fred

Fred,

The III and the IV will be expensive. Have you checked out the Panzer I under the LAH series. Looks pretty cool. Although I don't collect LAH because of its offensive nature, I will buy this tank.

For the K&C barrels you can use Tacky Wax to hold them in position.

Hey Brad; Sorry, I meant the Afrika Corp Panzers, at $89 each, they're more in line with my budget limitations;)

Fred

Almost forget, yeah, Brad I have been thinking about that Panzer I in LAH series, wonder how it would look in a battle scene. That LAH is kind of disturbing.

Fred

Boot51,

If you want to see the panzer I "in action", you could take a look at the "Battlefield backdrops"-brochure. It has a blitzkrieg scene, which includes the panzer.

You can see it at Bill Sagers website: http://www.toysoldiersusa.com/cgi-l...ory=2005&subsubcategory=BATTLEFIELD BACKDROPS. Just look at BBD05.

(As for LaH, I don't find the range offending to me, but I can certainly understand why people wouldn't buy them. But, I don't have any of these pieces. That's just the consequence of me having to make choises: with a limited budget, I can't afford to go into this range. Also, I don't like the parading poses. But let's not start a discussion about that here...)

Just to clarify, the LAH tank is not one that you would look and say "oh, yeah, that's LAH." Louis and I, who both feel the same about glorifying these miscreants, have no compunction about buying this tank.

Thanks for the link, Joey. The Panzer I works well in a battlefield setting.

Brad , do you own this tank, just wondering why it's "only" $65, is it something other than polystone?

Thanks Fred

Fred,

I don't own it and don't really know why it's priced like that.

Hey Brad, What's up with the DD38 Greyhound on ebay for $49, good deal or what? Pretty big hit for shipping though, $14.95.

Fred

boot51 said:
Thanks for the link, Joey. The Panzer I works well in a battlefield setting.

Brad , do you own this tank, just wondering why it's "only" $65, is it something other than polystone?

Thanks Fred

I am sure it is polystone. The reason for the price differential is probably due to its' relative small size. The Panzer I weighed only 5 tons and was 13 feet long. The Panzer V (Panther) weighed 42 tons and was 29 feet long.

boot51 said:
Hey Brad, What's up with the DD38 Greyhound on ebay for $49, good deal or what? Pretty big hit for shipping though, $14.95.

Fred

Fred,

That's a nice price although it's a 10 day auction and it's only basically started. DD 38 hasn't been retired long so you might be able to get it a decent price.

I just got the WS57 88 mm gun,what a great piece.[the courier knows me by name now,so i,m not sure thats a good sign]

cheers Rob

I like the idea of this thread, to critique sets and give pros and cons. There is one set that I haven't made up my mine on and that is DD56, Paratroopers. I know it was mentioned previously that the chutes may come in green or white and also of the issue with the tangled strings. But has anyone found issue with displaying this set. Doubt it will fit well in a curio. It seems as a must have for any K&C fanatic but I hesitate on this one. I'd be interested to see pics of any displays.

I'm with you on the Parachute set. Although i like the idea of it, i can't imagine how i would display it myself.

Has anyone actually got theirs coming down from the ceiling?

Package just arrived via USPS, it's the DD50 I bought on ebay. It looks great, I like the fact that it has four figures, even if they are only partials. Nice details and over all pretty interesting piece, not as much fun as the fancy cammo German stuff, but for allied armour I"d say it's a "must have".

Anyone have any comments on the French Farmhouse and Courtyard pieces, look good to me, but have not seen them or Berlin tenement or Reich Chancellery in person. Any input appreciated

Fred

Users who are viewing this thread

Back