The Louis Badolato Collection (1 Viewer)

NICE VERRY NICE GREAT COLLECTION :salute::

richard

Great photos, especially the wooden warbirds ,MY FAVORITE!!!!!!
mario

Has Louis ever done an inventory on all his planes,figures and vehicles?I'm curious on how many planes he has.
Mark

That's a good question Mark. As of today I have 121 aircraft and 254 vehicles on display. I haven't counted the figures in 2 years, but I think I have around 5,000 on display presently.

Quick question for you Louis. How many years have you been collecting? If I were to
guess I would say around 12 years or so ????? ^&confuse

I thought of a question for you LB- one the ride home from the Symposium-

what was your first King and Country set? Can you remember or too long (or too many scotches :tongue:) ago?

I thought of a question for you LB- one the ride home from the Symposium-

what was your first King and Country set? Can you remember or too long (or too many scotches :tongue:) ago?

I will answer you with a quote from the introduction to volume III of the book (early glossy figures from 1984 to 1996):

"In the winter of 1993/1994, as I browsed through some toy soldier advertisements, I came across a photograph that caused me to box up and put away the several thousand traditional toy soldiers I had spent my formative years carefully accumulating and displaying. Until this particular day I had been collecting only very static, traditional toy soldiers, like those produced by William Britains for the last 100 years. They were shiny, pretty, looked good set up in marching order, and, frankly, were all I had ever seen up to that point. Everything I knew about toy soldiers was about to change.

The photograph was of a set of toy soldiers unlike anything I had seen up to that point: Teddy Roosevelt, mounted in his uniform as Lt. Colonel of the 1st U.S. Volunteer Cavalry, with two of his dismounted “Rough Riders” marching behind him. The sculpting of the figures was the first thing that caught my eye: they were properly proportioned and athletic, like living soldiers rather than toys, in comfortable, realistic poses: Teddy slouching in his saddle, and the rough riders marching with their bed rolls slung around them from shoulder to waist. The paint finish also stood out: it was glossy, like traditional toy soldiers, but had the shadowing, dry brushing techniques, and detailed outlining I had only previously seen in prohibitively expensive matt “connoisseur” figures. I had to have it, immediately calling one of the dealers in the advertisement.

A week or so later, after I spent about fifteen minutes handling the figures (toy soldiers are so much more satisfying in person than in a photograph), I started to peruse the King & Country color brochures arriving with them. I was pleasantly surprised to discover this company didn’t just make toy soldiers: it produced wooden tanks, other vehicles, aircraft, even buildings. There were soldiers from World War II, even a set of U.S. Marines from the recent Gulf War, subjects I had never seen approached by the Toy Soldier companies I was familiar with up to this point."

Man alive LB, that is a dramatic answer to a pretty straight forward question. After reading the first couple sentences I started hearing Michael Buffer's voice reading your paragraphs and Europe's "The Final Countdown" playing in the background. ^&grin^&grin^&grin

"As of today I have 121 aircraft and 254 vehicles on display. I haven't counted the figures in 2 years, but I think I have around 5,000 on display presently. "

Wow that is fantastic. I am in awe!

Louis do you have that collection insured? I am always curious as people's collection grow if they do anything like that.

Walt

Louis..

Does ''on display'' mean you have more or is that the full collection??
Mitch

That's a good question Mark. As of today I have 121 aircraft and 254 vehicles on display. I haven't counted the figures in 2 years, but I think I have around 5,000 on display presently.

Louis..

Does ''on display'' mean you have more or is that the full collection??
Mitch

Yes, I have a good bit more not on display. Mostly glossy figures (a lot of Britains, Imperial, the odd Trophy set, Guard Corps, Americans in Miniature, Tradition, etc) and an entire area full of duplicate classic King & Country I don't have room to display.

"As of today I have 121 aircraft and 254 vehicles on display. I haven't counted the figures in 2 years, but I think I have around 5,000 on display presently. "

Wow that is fantastic. I am in awe!

Louis do you have that collection insured? I am always curious as people's collection grow if they do anything like that.

Walt

Yes, I have the collection insured for quite a bit.

Thanks Louis for your reply. I was only off by 7 years in my guess of the number of
years you have been collecting. Wow 19 years is AWESOME !!!!!! Again thanks for
sharing your collection !!!^&grin ^&grin ^&grin

Thanks Louis for your reply. I was only off by 7 years in my guess of the number of
years you have been collecting. Wow 19 years is AWESOME !!!!!! Again thanks for
sharing your collection !!!^&grin ^&grin ^&grin

My pleasure. You should try to come to the Symposium next March, so you can see the collection in person.:smile2:

Thanks for the invite Louis. Attending the symposium will be added to my "Bucket List" especially since I have family in N.J. :smile2:

Yes, I have the collection insured for quite a bit.

Dear Louis Badolato:

I just reviewed all the photos posted for your collection/displays. You certainly have a super splendid collection! My first K&C sets were of the Grenadier Guards of circa 1884 that I purchased in January 1993 (I later sold them for a very nice profit via eBay to a buyer in Florida in late 2005). By 1999 I had become a very devoted K&C fan as well. As Andy Neilson always says "Happy Collecting".

"Iron Brigade"

My K&G Vietnam Firebase from a few years ago...

Attachments

• 130mod.jpg
    130mod.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 168
  • 130dmod.jpg
    130dmod.jpg
    339.5 KB · Views: 174

Users who are viewing this thread

Back