exHzw1W.jpg

xgvBaDP.jpg

UGflaJK.jpg

E7bEG0v.jpg

EHwz8zN.jpg

FEtb0FK.jpg

zjLaYcU.jpg

Wayne.

I was asked that I should post a ‘how it was do’ about the southern mansion I made. So, there is a series of photos. I got hold of a 1/24 scale laser cut dolls house, a very basic kit which I then proceeded to modify to I/30 scale. In this case meant changing the doors, I have learnt over time if it looks right, it is right, here being a mansion the windows needed no adjustment, they looked right! I replaced the front door with a 1/24 scale casement which again looked right for the style of building. The balcony doors were adjusted to also look the part. Then it was a slow process of cladding with paddle pop sticks, two sizes, (coffee stirrers for our OS friends) sanded to round the edges and give a wood grain effect. Then the roof shingles again 1/24 scale. I used 1/24 moldings as well. The shutters needed to be cut to size with a handy mini bench saw I scored.
Then painted and weathered…... I enjoyed the build and now for something completely different.

89GjulX.jpg

sIwTmoY.jpg

40GvRbu.jpg

Wayne...
thanks for posting the "in progress" photos...
very interesting to see your work in progress...
your work on the windows and doors is factory quality...as is the laser cut model you assembled...
I love your trim work on the corners to hide the edge gaps...
it looks like you have the best equipment made to make such precise cuts...
all the wall planking is perfectly straight and tight with no gaps...
...................who makes the mini bench saw?................................
I make my Hirst Art's chimneys the same exact way...
I use a bench grinder to get the proper angel on the bottom so the chimney is proper straight...
hydrostone dust flies everywhere...very messy...lol...
...................how do you angle the bottom of yours?....................
this is a VERY NICE JOB!
I'm duly impressed with your patience and craftsmanship!

Wayne...
thanks for posting the "in progress" photos...
very interesting to see your work in progress...
your work on the windows and doors is factory quality...as is the laser cut model you assembled...
I love your trim work on the corners to hide the edge gaps...
it looks like you have the best equipment made to make such precise cuts...
all the wall planking is perfectly straight and tight with no gaps...
...................who makes the mini bench saw?................................
I make my Hirst Art's chimneys the same exact way...
I use a bench grinder to get the proper angel on the bottom so the chimney is proper straight...
hydrostone dust flies everywhere...very messy...lol...
...................how do you angle the bottom of yours?....................
this is a VERY NICE JOB!
I'm duly impressed with your patience and craftsmanship!
Mike, thanks for the kind words mate. I got the saw from Micro Mark https://www.micromark.com/ as well as a drop saw, measuring set and sanding vice. Having retired I have set myself up for some serious scale model building, got a heap of ideas. To answer your question, I use a good quality razor saw to cut the hydra stone.
Cheers.

7OiEZNZ.jpg

LFaM57a.jpg

QTLd1jG.jpg

8DSqrvx.jpg

oDTPmEE.jpg

Wayne...

I call making buildings..."the hobby within the hobby"...

you really need some precise tools to create the work you are doing...
you can't succeed with a pair of scissors and an Exacto knife...

like your Dremel kit too...totally impressed with what you are doing...
extremely high quality work and finished products!

Outstanding build, Wayne! And thanks for including an explanation of how you built it. I was going to ask if you had your own laser cutter. Interesting that you get tools from Micro-Mark; they're somewhat local to me, being headquartered over in Jersey. They're one of my sources for tools, too.

Your use of doll house pieces interests me, particularly the doors. I have a project planned that includes a Georgian or Palladian front door as a backdrop. I've looked for a stock piece on the market but haven't found anything yet. Lots of pieces depicting battle damage, or depicting the wrong era, but nothing of what I want. I figured doll house items are too big, but I hadn't thought about modifying one. I'll have to look at one or two and see whether modifying one would be less effort than scratchbuilding one.

Great result! Thanks again for sharing that with us!

Prost!
Brad

"Seek and ye shall receive." Thanks for posting Wayne and awesome project. How many hrs do you think spent on the construction? The results of Tara are outstanding. Chris

Outstanding in every way and detail. Absolutely jaw dropping eye candy . . .
Mike

Wayne,
Wow! Beautiful detailing, such skill possessed. I look forward to being placed in a dio.

Steve

"Seek and ye shall receive." Thanks for posting Wayne and awesome project. How many hrs do you think spent on the construction? The results of Tara are outstanding. Chris

Thanks Chris, How many hours? I can answer this way, all eight seasons of Game of Thrones....I binged watched the show while working on the house and remember starting on episode one and finished painting the day I watched the last episode. I do enjoy retirement..^&grin

Stunning. When Mike Miller is impressed and asking you for tips you know you are good!

Stunning work Wayne. An incredible makeover of the building for the period, well done.

Cheers,
Grey

Wayne,
I'm only now seeing this post. Late to the dance but I am in awe of your talent my friend. Just exceptional work! :salute::

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back