THE PACIFIC miniseries---lost money (1 Viewer)

Well I bought that on blu ray so they must not blame me

Great series, thoroughly enjoyed it :salute::

Cheers

Martyn
:)

Honestly, I liked The Pacific better than I did Band of Brothers, but that just might be my PTO bias, my USN bias, my USMC bias, and beating the nation responsible for Pearl Harbor bias. Don't see how it lost money. -- Al

Is everyone going to watch Masters of the Air in January?
Mark

Honestly, I liked The Pacific better than I did Band of Brothers, but that just might be my PTO bias, my USN bias, my USMC bias, and beating the nation responsible for Pearl Harbor bias. Don't see how it lost money. -- Al

Same here, Band of Brothers seemed to be idealist and sentimental, whereas The Pacific conveyed a more realistic and gritty side of WW2.

Same with The Thin Red Line, in many respects a better film than Saving Private Ryan, but of course not as popular.

Same here, Band of Brothers seemed to be idealist and sentimental, whereas The Pacific conveyed a more realistic and gritty side of WW2.

Same with The Thin Red Line, in many respects a better film than Saving Private Ryan, but of course not as popular.
Good comparison between SPR and TRL. I have always preferred TRL, by a large margin. The sound track and cinematography alone buries SPR. Loved the terrain of Guadalcanal and the sequence where the GI's are crawling through that high grass, not knowing what's a foot ahead of them, is one of the most intense and claustrophobic scenes on film. Nolte was fantastic, too. -- Al

Good comparison between SPR and TRL. I have always preferred TRL, by a large margin. The sound track and cinematography alone buries SPR. Loved the terrain of Guadalcanal and the sequence where the GI's are crawling through that high grass, not knowing what's a foot ahead of them, is one of the most intense and claustrophobic scenes on film. Nolte was fantastic, too. -- Al

Terrific locations, TRL and The Pacific were both filmed in Australia.

Yeah Nick's a hard case, reminds me of Gary Busey, both wild and wacky guys ^&grin

Yes, that’s your biases. I thought the Pacific, both in the story, screenplay and acting suffered in comparison.

Agreed with the video narrator and didn't like Pacific as much as Band of Brothers for the reasons he mentioned. Have high hopes for Master's of The Air series, the book was great.

Yes, that’s your biases. I thought the Pacific, both in the story, screenplay and acting suffered in comparison.
And that is your opinion. I thought The Pacific superior in all aspects, especially the brutal action. -- Al

I'll have to revisit TRL. Saw it once and didn't like it. I thought it was too artsy and short on action. Sometimes I don't like something and then like it when I watch it again. Btw, Platoon is my favorite movie.

And that is your opinion. I thought The Pacific superior in all aspects, especially the brutal action. -- Al

Not only mine but that of many others. It didn’t do well. I’ve seen it twice and enjoyed but it just isn’t as good as BoB. There are two series that I watch every year and BoB is one of them.

BoB is more popular, not better. It's more popular because it's typical Hollywood product with a more positive and upbeat theme.

The Pacific is raw, realistic and in your face. The Pacific cost more to produce and dvd sales were down compared to BoB as it was released 10 years later competing against streamed media.

And of course the Pacific theatre is not as popular as the European theatre, partly because of the Japanese and the A bomb thing.

The Pacific theater has always been more interesting to me than Europe but I do have to say I liked BoB better. Don't know really why I just do.
Mark

The Pacific theater has always been more interesting to me than Europe but I do have to say I liked BoB better. Don't know really why I just do.
Mark

I do like watching BoB, partly because of the inclusion of the German tanks etc. As for the Pacific Theater, I'm more interested in the Naval Battles such as Midway rather than the Island land battles.

More interested in land and naval battles than air but will watch Masters of the Air.
Mark

I mentioned my PTO bias earlier which is keyed by the fact that my father and 2 of his brothers all served in the PTO, each choosing a different branch, Navy, USAAC, US Engineers. I also absolutely love USNaval air, along with the USN and the USMC. I like BoB just fine, think it an excellent series and I re-watch it often but The Pacific just strikes a different cord with me, what with the vicious island-hopping campaign, the slogging matches in Guadalcanal and New Guinea, all the naval battles, and especially the naval air battles like Coral Sea, Midway, Philippine Sea, Leyte Gulf, etc. I just find the PTO more interesting and therefore prefer The Pacific over BoB. -- Al

Family history certainly has an influence, my Father was a Navigator/Bomb Aimer in Lancasters and his Brother was a Mosquito pilot. However they seemed to be in the minority as most other Australian vets I have met served in the Pacific theater, mainly in the Australian Army. My Father never gave me the impression that he hated the Germans, that were just the enemy to him, wherease everyone hated the Japanese. I guess that affects how most Aussies feel about the Pacific Theater.

I mentioned my PTO bias earlier which is keyed by the fact that my father and 2 of his brothers all served in the PTO, each choosing a different branch, Navy, USAAC, US Engineers. I also absolutely love USNaval air, along with the USN and the USMC. I like BoB just fine, think it an excellent series and I re-watch it often but The Pacific just strikes a different cord with me, what with the vicious island-hopping campaign, the slogging matches in Guadalcanal and New Guinea, all the naval battles, and especially the naval air battles like Coral Sea, Midway, Philippine Sea, Leyte Gulf, etc. I just find the PTO more interesting and therefore prefer The Pacific over BoB. -- Al

I praise your bias and in fact encourage it........the Pacific campaign always seems to play second cousin to the conflict in Europe, especially if you use Hollywood as a guide.

While I thoroughly enjoyed the BOB series and happily watch re-runs, 'The Pacific' version was incredibly captivating on a different level, brutal, unyielding and full of the realities of surviving in a terrible hostile environment all the while battling an unrelenting enemy, happy to sacrifice everything....

The Thin Red Line movie deserves far more accolades than it ever received, the scene of attacking the hill top bunkers is stunning and Nick Nolte's IMO deserved a Oscar for his performance as did others.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back