THE PACIFIC miniseries---lost money (1 Viewer)

I praise your bias and in fact encourage it........the Pacific campaign always seems to play second cousin to the conflict in Europe, especially if you use Hollywood as a guide.

While I thoroughly enjoyed the BOB series and happily watch re-runs, 'The Pacific' version was incredibly captivating on a different level, brutal, unyielding and full of the realities of surviving in a terrible hostile environment all the while battling an unrelenting enemy, happy to sacrifice everything....

The Thin Red Line movie deserves far more accolades than it ever received, the scene of attacking the hill top bunkers is stunning and Nick Nolte's IMO deserved a Oscar for his performance as did others.....
Nolte's performance seems to have gone unnoticed by all but fans of the film. It was fantastic. I will watch the film just to see his scene post-village attack, where he is sitting alone, watching everything. You can see what the cost of battle and responsibility has been in his facial expressions. TRL ranks in my Top 5 war films list. In fact, it is the only color film on my list, in no order...All Quiet on the Western Front, Pork Chop Hill, The Train, In Harm's Way. -- Al

Nolte's performance seems to have gone unnoticed by all but fans of the film. It was fantastic. I will watch the film just to see his scene post-village attack, where he is sitting alone, watching everything. You can see what the cost of ba⁷ttle and responsibility has been in his facial expressions. TRL ranks in my Top 5 war films list. In fact, it is the only color film on my list, in no order...All Quiet on the Western Front, Pork Chop Hill, The Train, In Harm's Way. -- Al
Have to agree with The Train, Porkchop Hill, TRL not so much. Great book but didn't care for the movie. Just my opinion.:smile2: Add Paths To Glory and Gettysburg to my list.

Have to agree with The Train, Porkchop Hill, TRL not so much. Great book but didn't care for the movie. Just my opinion.:smile2: Add Paths To Glory and Gettysburg to my list.
Love Paths of Glory and Gettysburg. I know several people (re-enactors) that had parts in the film and had screen time, if just for a few seconds. I had a tough time choosing between In Harm's Way and The Longest Day for my 5th film. The Duke is in both so In Harm's Way wins out because it is a Navy film. -- Al

It's not the ideal word for a blokey forum like this but BoB was more romantic. It reflected the almost crusade like nature of the ETO. The action was more condensed and key characters were in most episodes. The theme music was uplifting. The German armour helped too. The Pacific, loosely linking members of the 1st Marine Division, was more sprawling. It was also more visceral. There are scenes there that I never thought would be on TV. It is the more realistic war depiction. Winters made BoB, though some of the other characters were almost as good. BoB made you feel uplifted and almost made you wish you'd been there with them. Indeed, if you had to actually serve in combat in one or the other, no one would pick the Pacific.

Love Paths of Glory and Gettysburg. I know several people (re-enactors) that had parts in the film and had screen time, if just for a few seconds. I had a tough time choosing between In Harm's Way and The Longest Day for my 5th film. The Duke is in both so In Harm's Way wins out because it is a Navy film. -- Al

Great films Al and have seen both several times. Would pick Longest Day over Harm's Way as I have stood on the bluffs at Omaha Beach and in the town square at St Mere Eglise so it, the movie, brought home the reality (in a limited way) of the battle. Also, Harm's Way was a bit distracting by the obvious use of models, pre-CGI of course. Kirk Douglas criticized the poor special affects in the battle scenes. Still a great cast, old Wayne and Douglas, and young, Paula Prentiss (always thought she was hot :smile2:).

The Pacific is just not as popular with the general public as the European theatre.
For every Pacific figure K and C makes they make and sell 10 Battle of the Bulge figures.

I have heaps of Pacific figures, only Two Battle of Bulge (Germans) and no Band of Brothers.

The Pacific is just not as popular with the general public as the European theatre.
For every Pacific figure K and C makes they make and sell 10 Battle of the Bulge figures.

That maybe true, however I find myself asking why that is?

I read once a historian say the war in the pacific wasn't 'sexy' enough, which I found distasteful given the loss of life and sacrifice made during that campaign.

So pleased K&C has produced the Kokoda series and the recent USMCs are brilliant. Would really like to see more Japanese releases too, however I'm guessing that will depend upon their popularity?

We have more European Theater than Pacific.
But I love Pacific.
It's exotic and different. I like it as I like the other big WW2 fronts. Dad & I just wish we had some full-scale aircraft carriers{sm4}. I think the Naval/Air aspect of the conflict makes it difficult/expensive for our Hobby. But possibly very cool.
And Grandpa had his major WW2 experiences there (see my previous posts).
Though his stint in the Atlantic saw a Bauxite Transport get blown up by a U-Boat to the extent that debris (he hoped not people - but all hands died anyway) were thrown up into the night sky lit by counter-fire & flares.
He also fixed the toilet. Being handy, unlike Dad & I, he realized that one of the Destroyer's guns was slightly misaligned and would slam into the toilets port side. He got two other guys to fix it with him (he was a Lt. then). The Cr**per Must Work, so there{sm0}!
Best Wishes and Thanks to our ANZAC & UK allies then as now.
Paddy

That maybe true, however I find myself asking why that is?

I read once a historian say the war in the pacific wasn't 'sexy' enough, which I found distasteful given the loss of life and sacrifice made during that campaign.

So pleased K&C has produced the Kokoda series and the recent USMCs are brilliant. Would really like to see more Japanese releases too, however I'm guessing that will depend upon their popularity?

This has been discussed many times on the forum.

Not sure why but it does seem true that the general public is more interested in the European theatre.

Seems to hold true for movies and toy soldiers.

Hacksaw Ridge was a great recent movie set in the Pacific.

I have quite a few Iwo Jima sets

Always liked that famous image of the marines raising the flag at Iwo Jima

K and C made a great model of that.

We have more European Theater than Pacific.
But I love Pacific.
It's exotic and different. I like it as I like the other big WW2 fronts. Dad & I just wish we had some full-scale aircraft carriers{sm4}. I think the Naval/Air aspect of the conflict makes it difficult/expensive for our Hobby. But possibly very cool.
And Grandpa had his major WW2 experiences there (see my previous posts).
Though his stint in the Atlantic saw a Bauxite Transport get blown up by a U-Boat to the extent that debris (he hoped not people - but all hands died anyway) were thrown up into the night sky lit by counter-fire & flares.
He also fixed the toilet. Being handy, unlike Dad & I, he realized that one of the Destroyer's guns was slightly misaligned and would slam into the toilets port side. He got two other guys to fix it with him (he was a Lt. then). The Cr**per Must Work, so there{sm0}!
Best Wishes and Thanks to our ANZAC & UK allies then as now.
Paddy

Folks forget how close the Japs got to Australia and New Zealand and the bombing of Darwin etc while the bulk of our defence force's were fighting overseas....seriously scary times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back