This day in History (1 Viewer)

I was in Tennessee on the day Elvis died. It was big news. Groucho Marx died a couple of days later. Bad timing.

September 1st 1880 – The army of Mohammad Ayub Khan is routed by the British at the Battle of Kandahar, ending the Second Anglo-Afghan War

:salute::

WAR---Germany Invades Poland---1 September 1939
At 4:45 a.m., some 1.5 million German troops invade Poland all along its 1,750-mile border with German-controlled territory. Simultaneously, the German Luftwaffe bombed Polish airfields, and German warships and U-boats attacked Polish naval forces in the Baltic Sea. Nazi leader Adolf Hitler claimed the massive invasion was a defensive action, but Britain and France were not convinced. On September 3, they declared war on Germany, initiating World War II.
vintage-newspaper-world-war-2-germany-invades-poland39_280616459097.jpg

But it's the 18th of November!!! Sorry, i forgot about the poor folks that are lagging behind... :rolleyes2:^&grin Here's my contribution to the thread and it's on the 17th of November!

1941 - Joseph C. Grew, U.S. ambassador to Japan, cabled the U.S. State Department that he had heard that Japan had prepared a plan to attempt a surprise attack at Pearl Harbor. The attack was "planned, in the event of trouble with the United States."

Tom
Very interesting....I have always been suspicious about the "surprise attack on Pearl Harbor".....the Crew cable is something I have not come across before.....I do know the USN had cracked the Jap naval code before PH and were always a jump ahead of the jap navy in a lot of their plans....I believe there will always be doubts about PH.......cheers TomB

September 2nd 1898 – Battle of Omdurman – British, Egyptian and Sudanese troops defeat the Dervish and establish British dominance in The Sudan

21stLANCERS5.jpg

21stLANCERS4andWinston.jpg

21stLANCERS3.jpg

21stLANCERS1.jpg

Figures - Trophy of Wales

October 11th 1899 – Second Boer War begins

BRITISH ARTILLERY POSITION

TROPHY-BOERWAR-RAGUNS1.jpg

TROPHY-BOERWAR-RAGUNS2.jpg

TROPHY-BOERWAR-RAGUNCREW.jpg

TROPHY-BOERWAR-RAGUNCREWATREST.jpg

One of the Tractors that towed the guns into position

TROPHY-BOERWAR-RATRACTOR.jpg

TROPHY-BOERWAR-RATRACTOR2.jpg

October 21st 1854 – Florence Nightingale and a staff of 38 nurses are sent to the Crimean War

FLORENCE1.jpg

Florence Nightingale - Trophy of Wales

Cheers

Martyn:)

INDIAN MUTINY

November 16th 1857Second relief of Lucknow twenty-four Victoria Crosses are awarded, the most in a single day

All figures - Trophy of Wales

Cheers

FIRST MATABELE WAR

December 4th 1893 - The last stand of the Shangani Patrol

THESHANGANIPATROL.jpg

My recreation of the tragic event

shanganipatrol3_zps6d20a64a.jpg

All figures are a Special Commission from Mike Norris at LITTLE LEGION

Cheers

FIRST MATABELE WAR

December 4th 1893 - The last stand of the Shangani Patrol

THESHANGANIPATROL.jpg

My recreation of the tragic event

shanganipatrol3_zps6d20a64a.jpg

All figures are a Special Commission from Mike Norris at LITTLE LEGION

Cheers

Very nice Martyn, great idea and having Little Legion to help on the different figures to add reality to the dio makes a on off set that is great to have.....

Very nice Martyn, great idea and having Little Legion to help on the different figures to add reality to the dio makes a on off set that is great to have.....

Many thanks Luiz glad you like it :salute::

Cheers

72 years ago today ..... December 7th 1941, a date which will live in infamy.

Attachments

• the-battleship-uss-arizona-belches-smoke-as-it-topples-over-into-the-sea.jpg
    the-battleship-uss-arizona-belches-smoke-as-it-topples-over-into-the-sea.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 167
January 3rd 1911 - THE SIEGE OF SIDNEY STREET

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Sidney_Street

The Siege followed the murders of 2 Police Sergeants and a Police Constable in Houndsditch on 16th December 1910. My Grandfather lived in the London Borough of Hackney and was in the Metropolitan Police Special Constabulary, he witnessed the Siege but didn't talk about it

Cheers

Martyn

January 3rd 1911 - THE SIEGE OF SIDNEY STREET

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Sidney_Street

The Siege followed the murders of 2 Police Sergeants and a Police Constable in Houndsditch on 16th December 1910. My Grandfather lived in the London Borough of Hackney and was in the Metropolitan Police Special Constabulary, he witnessed the Siege but didn't talk about it

Cheers

Martyn

I read a recently published Sherlock Holmes story which depicts this story, right down to Churchill's involvement, making the events Peter the Painter's challenge to Holmes, and thought it was a completely fictional detective story, not historical fiction. I'll have to dig the book out and give it another read.

Adelaide Australia, expected to the hottest city on the planet today 16 January 2014, with temperature expected to be 46 degrees. Currently 14 bush fires in the state. {eek3} Robin.

Adelaide Australia, expected to the hottest city on the planet today 16 January 2014, with temperature expected to be 46 degrees. Currently 14 bush fires in the state. {eek3} Robin.

I hope your TS are stored in a climate controlled environment. If not, happy to store them at my place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back