Toy soldiers in movies (1 Viewer)

Anyone know if Woodward's "The Equalizer" was a copy of his Callan series? Used to watch Equalizer all the time but I am not familier with Callan. -- lancer

Lancer

Anyone know if Woodward's "The Equalizer" was a copy of his Callan series?

In 'The Equalizer' Woodward is called Robert McCall.But I have often wondered the same as you as both characters are of the same ilk,although Callan tended to be darker.(mood not colour).

I used to love that show. Too bad it didn't last long. He's a great actor.

Anyone know if Woodward's "The Equalizer" was a copy of his Callan series? Used to watch Equalizer all the time but I am not familier with Callan. -- lancer

Maybe inspired by the British series.

I looked over at the IMDb, and there's no official note that deals with that question. There is a thread in the message board for the show, though, that does ask the question. Unfortunately, no one who responded spoke with any more authority than to compare the two characters. I expect that the DVD set might contain the answer, in its extras, maybe an interview with the series creators, for example.

One post came tantalizingly close to answering, the poster saying that he purchased the DVDs, but then he made no mention of any kind of background material. Everyone just launched into comparing McCall and Callan.

I never saw "Callan", but if he is still an active agent of the British secret service, then that is a main plot difference. McCall is a retired CIA agent, who goes into business has a private eye, or better, a private avenger-the premise was that he helped people who had no one else to turn to (maybe because the A-Team was on vacation? :D ). He used his contacts in the intelligence community for help, and also maintained a connection with his former handler in the Company, that was not always a friendly connection, if I remember correctly.

But it was a great show, I think that was my favorite, from the 80s.

Prosit!
Brad

Maybe inspired by the British series.

I looked over at the IMDb, and there's no official note that deals with that question. There is a thread in the message board for the show, though, that does ask the question. Unfortunately, no one who responded spoke with any more authority than to compare the two characters. I expect that the DVD set might contain the answer, in its extras, maybe an interview with the series creators, for example.

One post came tantalizingly close to answering, the poster saying that he purchased the DVDs, but then he made no mention of any kind of background material. Everyone just launched into comparing McCall and Callan.

I never saw "Callan", but if he is still an active agent of the British secret service, then that is a main plot difference. McCall is a retired CIA agent, who goes into business has a private eye, or better, a private avenger-the premise was that he helped people who had no one else to turn to (maybe because the A-Team was on vacation? :D ). He used his contacts in the intelligence community for help, and also maintained a connection with his former handler in the Company, that was not always a friendly connection, if I remember correctly.

But it was a great show, I think that was my favorite, from the 80s.

Prosit!
Brad

Darn Right Brad...What a character! Have you seen Burn Notice on USA?
Mike

Yes, but I've got mixed feelings about it. I like Bruce Campbell, who is still pretty cool, even with the big Rutger-Hauer-style paunch, and I like his character. I've enjoyed him, ever since he paired up with Sam Raimi. I like Sharon Gless, too, as the mother. But the guy who plays the lead still kinda creeps me out. I first saw him as a murderous astronaut in an episode of Monk, and there's just something about his look.

I haven't seen enough episodes to really know if I like the series or not. I thought the premise for Psych was kind of stupid at first, but I made myself watch it, and it grew on me.

USA has some good police and detective shows. They really scored a coup, when they picked up Monk after ABC originally developed it, then dropped the series. For years after that, every time there was a Monk-a-thon on some holiday, and USA's ratings were through the roof, someone at ABC must have gotten punched in the face.

Brad,
I think you're just threatened by his good looks! I was also until I realized I could kick his @#$. Now I'm no longer intimidated by him, and know that his girlfriend would like me better!
Mike

Not a copy. I'd say a different animal altogether. Callan was a pretty cold hearted SOB, whereas McCall was far more of a 'goody' character.
Preferred Callan though.....:cool:

Thanks for the responses everyone. Must keep an eye out for Callan. -- lancer

Max von Sydow - he's using a loupe and painting a figure when he receives a phone call.

Don't forget "Battle of the Bulge" - first Robert Shaw is shown a large model of an M47 and told it's a new Tiger tank (I think it's one of the studio models that was blown up in the last battle of the movie). They also have huge batches of HO scale Roco Minitanks Tiger II models on the big German situation table.

I don't know if it was mentioned yet but who can forget the "Bucket of Soldiers" in Toy Story with R. Lee Ermey doing the voices.

Gary B.

I just saw this "3 Days of the Condor" movie - an enjoyable movie and this scene featured Max von Sydow painting metal French Napoleonic foot figures - Cuirassier, Hussar etc. I can't identify the make - probably Stadden?

Rgds Victor

Didn't the Captain in Stripes play with some toy soldiers on his desk? Also Miracle on 34th Street, 90's remake, the evil Shoppers Express guy trying to takeover Cole's had a toy soldier set up on his desk in one of the scenes.

The Stripes scene where John Larroquette plays with the toy soldiers is hilarious.

Reference "Callan", one of the most interesting aspects of this show was to popularise model soldiers. Prior to this people were reticent about their hobby as the usual response was "Still playing with toy soldiers at your age?" Big tough Callan painted figures and played wargames and from then on the hobby became respectable. "Oh I've seen those on TV, did you provide them?" There was a significant increase in companies and customers at that time. Part of one episode was filmed in Tradition in Piccadilly where I worked at the time. Lovely excuse to name drop! Trooper

Reference "Callan", one of the most interesting aspects of this show was to popularise model soldiers. Prior to this people were reticent about their hobby as the usual response was "Still playing with toy soldiers at your age?" Big tough Callan painted figures and played wargames and from then on the hobby became respectable. "Oh I've seen those on TV, did you provide them?" There was a significant increase in companies and customers at that time. Part of one episode was filmed in Tradition in Piccadilly where I worked at the time. Lovely excuse to name drop! Trooper

How did you get on with his best chum................Lonely???? jb{sm2}{sm2}

How did you get on with his best chum................Lonely???? jb{sm2}{sm2}

Nice man. Totally unrecognisable without the whining voice and furtive look. He actually appeared to shrink when he got in character. Trooper

Nice man. Totally unrecognisable without the whining voice and furtive look. He actually appeared to shrink when he got in character. Trooper

Well I never! I used to love that series - and especially the "love-hate" relationship between Calan and Lonely. "Ever thought about taking a bath - sometime. Lonely?". Lonely was always such an obseqeious character - always referring to "Mister Calan" when speaking to him.

Wish they would re-run the series again, sometime. I might even understand a bit more about Calan's collection now!:D jb

I just saw this "3 Days of the Condor" movie - an enjoyable movie and this scene featured Max von Sydow painting metal French Napoleonic foot figures - Cuirassier, Hussar etc. I can't identify the make - probably Stadden?

Rgds Victor

Right you are, Vic, right you are! He's painting a hussar in that scene, and I agree, I think it's a Stadden casting.

Prost!
Brad

I don't think it's been mentioned (and I guess not a movie), but the US version of House of Cards with Kevin Spacey. He has a big civil war diorama that he works on:

Screen+shot+2014-02-21+at+1.24.33+PM.png

Frank-Underwood-Paints-Minis.jpg

now watching Napoleon, a tv series:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0253839/

There are at least two scenes in which model figures are represented. The staging of Napoleon's coronation, using large statuettes, and the planning for Austerlitz using 54mm size mounted figures.

Rgds Victor

Just saw the latest Godzilla movie. The hero, as a boy, was playing with some plastic toy soldiers.

Rgds Victor

Just screening on ABC on Friday nights is Death Comes To Pemberley.

Its a three-part British television period drama based on the best-selling P.D. James novel of the same name, a murder mystery continuation of the events of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice incorporating the same characters.

In episode 2 Elizabeth Darcy (played by Anna Maxwell Martin) is with her son as he plays with his toy soldiers ....

DCTP1.jpg

DCTP2.jpg

The final episode in on Friday night 8:30 ABC 1 (in OZ)

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back