Union Artillery - Britains Style ! (1 Viewer)

Nice I have not bought any of the sets yet: I am too broke from just getting the basic infantry....going to have to unretire to catch up:( great pics and neat sets you have.........

He's right. President Davis tested a battery.

GatlingGun2.jpg

that anger:(, I see a set of the old W Britains with a gatling gun

Frontline figuresView attachment 46809

He's right. President Davis tested a battery.

GatlingGun2.jpg

These are Frontline figures not Wm Britain. The Gatling gun was invented by Dr. Richard J. Gatling in 1861 and was patented in 1862. Although they existed during the ACW and were tested to some degree, the Federal government did not accept them for use by the army until 1866.
:) Mike

Last edited:
Yeah, I knew that. Mainly used at forts and such. Popular in European made Westerns.

Britains did make a "Gatling Gun" in plastic.

gatling-gun.jpg

My recollection is that the former W Britains made a set of Union gatling gun metal, but can not find any pictures

That's a fun model.

Maybe for use in 1863?

"..The Bull's Head hotel on 44th Street, which refused to provide alcohol, was burned. The mayor's residence on Fifth Avenue, the Eighth and Fifth District police stations, and other buildings were attacked and set on fire. Other targets included the office of the leading Republican newspaper, the New York Tribune. The mob was turned back at the Tribune office by staff manning two Gatling guns.[26] Fire engine companies responded, but some of the firefighters were sympathetic to the rioters, since they too had been drafted on Saturday.[13] Later in the afternoon, authorities shot and killed a man as a crowd attacked the Armory at Second Avenue and 21st Street.[20]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Draft_Riots

I think it would be a set desired by collectors, including a mortar
You have to give variety to the sets of artillery

So many model versions and movies show Gatlings in the Civil war that we think it was so. A set with soldiers in "dress" uniforms of a state militia or civilians inspecting one could pass for authentic if the setting was right. Unless Britains goes into a "rear echelon" series, a Gatling model is a stretch despite earlier sets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back