What are the Forum members reading (2 Viewers)

I just finished Lord Roberts and General Petraeus' book Conflict. It does a good good overview the developments in warfare since 1945 with particular emphasis on Vietnam, Afghanistan, Iraq, and Ukraine. Highly recommended!

Brendan

Churchill: Walking With Destiny by Andrew Roberts. This the fourth Churchill bio I've read including Wm Manchester's The Last Lion and Violet Bonham Carter's Winston Churchill As I Know Him. At 1,150 pages the Robert's book may be the last I read on WC (all of Robert's books are rather long but very interesting).

Im about 30 pages out from finishing "The Rifle" by Andrew Biggio. This isn't just an amazing WW2 book, it is a book that everyone should read irrespective of their interest in history or warfare. My wife is reading them with me- she bought me both books a couple weeks ago. These books are a true testament as to what a high speed veteran can do with a simple idea and how it can mushroom into a movement. For the life of me, I cannot fathom who Biggio does what he does- flies all over the country (And the globe) to meet with WW2 vets and take them to events, Founder of the Boston Wounded Veterans Run, has three young children and is a police officer in Massachusetts. He is a really cool dude to talk to and follow. YT has a lot of great videos with him at events which can add another dimension to the book.

It is an easy read, focuses more on the vets themselves and their stories and his adventures getting to them and getting the rifle to them to sign. A lot of insightful commentary on how WW2 vets adjusted to civilian life that can be inspiring to our latest generation of warfighters.

The Rifle (thewwiirifle.com)

I’m reading Charles Oman. A history of the art of war in the sixteenth century.

Churchill: Walking With Destiny by Andrew Roberts. This the fourth Churchill bio I've read including Wm Manchester's The Last Lion and Violet Bonham Carter's Winston Churchill As I Know Him. At 1,150 pages the Robert's book may be the last I read on WC (all of Robert's books are rather long but very interesting).

I could post this on things that annoy me here goes. In the final chapter assessing Churchill's career Roberts relates a 2008 survey of 3,000 British students. 20% thought Churchill a fictional character and Sherlock Holmes was real. Shame on the school system! I'm sure it's not any better in the USA regarding our history. :redface2:

Just got done Killer Trail and Death in the Sahara. Now starting on Heroes of Empire. All deal with late19th cen. colonialism in Africa.
Mark

KT.jpgHOE.jpg71-ikv-YARL._SY385_.jpg

I watched "Greyhound" last Friday, and that made me want to re-read "Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors". I started that Wednesday night, and should finish tonight.

I have queued up "Deep Undercover" by Jack Barsky. Barsky was a Soviet spy living in America during the Cold War. Jordan Peterson interviewed him about a month ago or so, and his story fascinated me so that I added the book to my reading list. I picked it up from the library today over lunch.

Oh, and before "Last Stand", I wrapped up reading Thomas Sowell's "Migrations and Cultures". With that title, I finished his "Cultures" trilogy, along with "Race and Cultures", and "Conquest and Cultures." He wrote them almost 30 years ago, but they are as insightful as ever, perhaps even more. I recommend the trilogy highly!

Prost!
Brad

Also, watching "Greyhound" makes me want to read the novel on which it's based. It also makes me want to re-read "The Cruel Sea", and see the movie that was made from that novel, too.

Prost!
Brad

Stopping "Heroes of Empire" to read this new book "The Deerfield Massacre"
Mark

bk17.jpeg

Troublesome Young Men by Lynne Olson, which is not exclusively about Churchill, is good. The Max Hastings book was ok, not my favorite. John Lukacs’ brief book Blood, Toil, Tears and Sweat was quite good.

I watched "Greyhound" last Friday, and that made me want to re-read "Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors". I started that Wednesday night, and should finish tonight.

I have queued up "Deep Undercover" by Jack Barsky. Barsky was a Soviet spy living in America during the Cold War. Jordan Peterson interviewed him about a month ago or so, and his story fascinated me so that I added the book to my reading list. I picked it up from the library today over lunch.

Oh, and before "Last Stand", I wrapped up reading Thomas Sowell's "Migrations and Cultures". With that title, I finished his "Cultures" trilogy, along with "Race and Cultures", and "Conquest and Cultures." He wrote them almost 30 years ago, but they are as insightful as ever, perhaps even more. I recommend the trilogy highly!

Prost!
Brad
Hard to find a more exciting or inspiring true life story than "Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors". The battle off Samar during the Leyte Gulf campaign has to be studied to be believed. The DD's, DE's, and CVE's covered themselves in glory in the absolute best traditions of the US fighting man. -- Al

Heading to Germany this summer and currently reading "Faust's Metropolis: A History of Berlin" by Alexandra Richie. A very readable tome on the entire history of the city. Also interesting to look at the pictures of modern-day Berlin where many of the old Nazi buildings once stood. Almost surreal to see the modern apartments and office buildings on the location of the Old and New Reich Chancellery and think about all the horrible history and decisions made on that small piece of ground.

Troublesome Young Men by Lynne Olson, which is not exclusively about Churchill, is good. The Max Hastings book was ok, not my favorite. John Lukacs’ brief book Blood, Toil, Tears and Sweat was quite good.

I've read Troublesome Young Men and found it quite interesting regarding the transition from the Chamberlain gov't to Churchill. Also the Jock Colville's (Churchill secretary) Fringe of Power has a good inside look even if he's a bit of an arrogant snob IMO.

Heading to Germany this summer and currently reading "Faust's Metropolis: A History of Berlin" by Alexandra Richie. A very readable tome on the entire history of the city. Also interesting to look at the pictures of modern-day Berlin where many of the old Nazi buildings once stood. Almost surreal to see the modern apartments and office buildings on the location of the Old and New Reich Chancellery and think about all the horrible history and decisions made on that small piece of ground.

Where in Germany are you going?

Reading old book of Russian General in mid-19th cen.Central Asia
Mark

MGC.jpg

Berlin, Dresden, Nuremburg, and Munich. Hoping see some of the old war sights even though much was destroyed in the war or understandably afterword.

I was in Nuremberg many years ago (2006). At that time the parade grounds were a little hard to find but not that far from a museum against Nazi-ism, which is a great museum, by the way; I spent several hours there. It was engrossing. I was shown to the parade grounds and it was a bit walled off but I was able to get in. It was a bit eerie, to say the least but nothing like what you see in photos. That was before cameras on cellphones so no pictures. Hopefully it's still standing for you to see. Lovely city.

I was in Munich in 2016 on business. Another great city. I hope you have a great time and hope you share some of your photos.

Andrew Roberts Masters And Commanders about the WWII strategy as planned by Churchill, Alan Brooke (CIGS), Roosevelt and Marshall. An in depth look at the high level decision making process that determined the war in the West. Roberts used many diaries of the participants, post war interviews, tv interviews such as World At War and others. Sources include diaries of US planners such as Wedemyer, Hap Arnold, Adm King, Handy, Eisenhower, Stillwell for the US and Cunningham, Pound, Kennedy, Moran, Portal, Ismay, and Dill for the British. He relates at the fights between Churchill and CIGS, mainly Brooke, and Roosevelt and Marshall and the Joint Chiefs. Highly recommended.

Andrew Roberts Masters And Commanders about the WWII strategy as planned by Churchill, Alan Brooke (CIGS), Roosevelt and Marshall. An in depth look at the high level decision making process that determined the war in the West. Roberts used many diaries of the participants, post war interviews, tv interviews such as World At War and others. Sources include diaries of US planners such as Wedemyer, Hap Arnold, Adm King, Handy, Eisenhower, Stillwell for the US and Cunningham, Pound, Kennedy, Moran, Portal, Ismay, and Dill for the British. He relates at the fights between Churchill and CIGS, mainly Brooke, and Roosevelt and Marshall and the Joint Chiefs. Highly recommended.

Terrific indeed. Great book.

Latest books read:

"Deep Undercover", by Jack Barsky. I had never heard of him, till I saw his interview with Jordan Peterson. A fascinating story, and if you've never heard of him or read his book, it's worth reading.

Then a couple of old Martin Caidin books, "Flying Fortress" and "Ragged, Rugged Warriors."

Prost!
Brad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back