What are the Forum members reading (1 Viewer)

Brad, Prange relied heavily on Fuchida's accounts in regards to the Japanese POV, in many matters. Prange spent many hours in personal face to face interviews and took Fuchhida at face value. Fuchida aparently embellished his accounts and did his best to make his interviewers happy by telling them what he thought they might want to hear. This has lead to the widely different accounts that Prange and Fuchida published compared to 'Shattered Sword'. 'Shattered Sword' was a game changer for the history of Midway. -- Al

Yep, I know. I liked the way Parshall and Tully described Fuchida as getting his story out first, when the occupation censorship was relaxed, and basically daring anyone to challenge him. And when P&T first reached out to Japanese writers to ask about Fuchida, they were very circumspect. They didn't want to be seen as attacking an honored and respected veteran. The response they got was pretty much, "Oh? You still believe Fuchida? He was refuted years ago. That's amusing!"

Prost!
Brad

I'm reading Christopher Duffy's "By Force of Arms: The Austrian Army in the Seven Years War". It's the second volume in Duffy's revised and expanded work on the army of Maria Theresa. It's very much of the quality and style that Duffy's readers expect-well-researched and written clearly. For fans of the Seven Years War, it's a must for your libraries.

Prost!
Brad

I have a very bad habit of reading several books at once and I put this down for awhile as I got distracted. Anyway, I just finished and many of the men didn’t have an easy life after WW II, being changed by the war negatively; many divorces and a lot of drinking. Others like Lipton did have successful lives. Then there were others who never got a chance to live their life. Brotherton has a section on them, focusing on men like Salty Harris, Robert Van Klinken and Skip Muck.

I've researched online of the various Easy Co members such as LT Dyke (medal awarded for bravery in Market Garden) and Lt Peacock (killed after the war with wife in an auto accident).

In the next week or so I am going to crack open Atkinson's "Liberation" trilogy.

You know, because after reading the 900+ page LoA biography, tomes, rather than books seem to be more my speed!!! {sm4}{sm4}

Having just finished Company of Heroes, I’m now starting to read a related book,

It's pretty amazing the Band of Brothers series and stories seem to still have so much life and momentum to them. I figured it would have died out a few years after the show but apparently not. Still a fan of Donald Burgett's Trilogy of the 506 but that's just me.

It's pretty amazing the Band of Brothers series and stories seem to still have so much life and momentum to them. I figured it would have died out a few years after the show but apparently not. Still a fan of Donald Burgett's Trilogy of the 506 but that's just me.

If anything, interest in their story has continued to grow.

This one looks interesting:

The Deerfield Massacre: A Surprise Attack, a Forced March, and the Fight for Survival in Early America by James Swanson.

"From the New York Times bestselling author of Manhunt (now an Apple TV+ series) and in the tradition of Empire of the Summer Moon comes a spellbinding account of a forgotten chapter in American history: the deadly confrontation between natives and colonists in Massachusetts in 1704 and the tragic saga that unfolded.

Once it was one of the most infamous events in early American history. Today, it has been nearly forgotten."

I just finished reading Victor Davis Hanson's "The End of Everything", second time through since I got my copy 2 weeks ago. Hanson's theme is how a war entered into on faulty premises winds up destroying a society. He looks at 4 cases to illustrate: Thebes' destruction at the hands of Alexander the Great, the destruction of Carthage in the Third Punic War, the fall of Constantinople, and the fall of the Aztec empire. Three major errors each of the defeated cities or empires made were to misread their opponents, to rest on past glories or strengths, and to assume others would come to their aid. Fast read, and interesting for the study of war and politics.

Prost!
Brad

This one looks interesting:

The Deerfield Massacre: A Surprise Attack, a Forced March, and the Fight for Survival in Early America by James Swanson.

"From the New York Times bestselling author of Manhunt (now an Apple TV+ series) and in the tradition of Empire of the Summer Moon comes a spellbinding account of a forgotten chapter in American history: the deadly confrontation between natives and colonists in Massachusetts in 1704 and the tragic saga that unfolded.

Once it was one of the most infamous events in early American history. Today, it has been nearly forgotten."
I have it but haven't started to read it yet.
Mark

Now reading "The Assassination of Julius Caesar" by leftist intellectual Michael Parenti. The book came up in a discussion and while I had to read his "Democracy for the Few" for a poli sci class in college, but that was 1986. This was published in 2000, so I never read it. So to be able to have an opinion, I took it out of the library. So far, it's pretty much what I expected from Parenti. I'm curious to see what his conclusions are, when I get to the end.

Prost!
Brad

I started reading this book titled "The Lord of the Rings" by a man named JRRRRRRRRRR Tolkien. Sounds like he might have been a languages professor. Pretty cracking good read so far- has these little dudes called Hobbits which they are like mini humans with big furry feet who run around and cause problems. There is a wizard named Gandalf and some bad guys - seems like a fantasy sword and sorcery story. I hear there is a dragon in the other book called "The Hobbit" So I will have to check that one out.

At any rate, I could see this book becoming a major motion picture- has all the elements that seem to get people excited at the movies. I think this book could be a classic some day............... {sm4}{sm4}{sm4}

Could have potential toy soldier spinoffs as well with all the medieval fantasy type figures and elves and orcs and stuff.

Reading "The Life And Times Of Rabih Fadl Allah" Late 19th cen. Warlord/Sultan in Chad region.
Mark

I started reading this book titled "The Lord of the Rings" by a man named JRRRRRRRRRR Tolkien. Sounds like he might have been a languages professor. Pretty cracking good read so far- has these little dudes called Hobbits which they are like mini humans with big furry feet who run around and cause problems. There is a wizard named Gandalf and some bad guys - seems like a fantasy sword and sorcery story. I hear there is a dragon in the other book called "The Hobbit" So I will have to check that one out.

At any rate, I could see this book becoming a major motion picture- has all the elements that seem to get people excited at the movies. I think this book could be a classic some day............... {sm4}{sm4}{sm4}

Could have potential toy soldier spinoffs as well with all the medieval fantasy type figures and elves and orcs and stuff.
Chris, just watch the movies, it'll be faster!

Ah, wait! No, it won't be.

Prost!
Brad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back