What are the Forum members reading (8 Viewers)

'A People's History of the United States', do not read this book it is by far the worse book ever written, EVER!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Re-reading one of my all time favorite books. It is possible I have mentioned this before. Title is "The Western Way of War: Infantry Battle in Ancient Greece" by Victor Davis Hanson. Published by Knopf in 1989. If you are an ancient warfare fan, you NEED to read this book. This work covers all aspects of battle from strategy and what influenced it (such as the importance of agriculture and harvest), to weapons, armor, and the tactics for using them. Hanson takes you into how the armies were formed, trained, what influence drink and religion played, fear of the massed attack and the bloodletting that followed and how the wounded were cared for. This book is well written and does not drag. It is an interesting read even if you don't know much about ancient warfare. -- lancer

Im reading the Rise and Fall of the NAZI,S,by Claire Welch so far a good book not to "heavy" if you get my drift.

Attachments

• 9781845297718.jpg
    9781845297718.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 109
Re-reading one of my all time favorite books. It is possible I have mentioned this before. Title is "The Western Way of War: Infantry Battle in Ancient Greece" by Victor Davis Hanson. Published by Knopf in 1989. If you are an ancient warfare fan, you NEED to read this book. This work covers all aspects of battle from strategy and what influenced it (such as the importance of agriculture and harvest), to weapons, armor, and the tactics for using them. Hanson takes you into how the armies were formed, trained, what influence drink and religion played, fear of the massed attack and the bloodletting that followed and how the wounded were cared for. This book is well written and does not drag. It is an interesting read even if you don't know much about ancient warfare. -- lancer

I heard about that on both Dennis Prager's and Hugh Hewitt's shows, that's one I want to get for my library.

Since I was off this week, it was time to read "Shogun" again, so I did. started Monday night and read straight through Tuesday and Wednesday. Then I started re-reading "Shattered Sword" yesterday while I was at the garage getting my truck fixed.

Prost!
Brad

I heard about that on both Dennis Prager's and Hugh Hewitt's shows, that's one I want to get for my library.
Brad, you won't regret getting it. Of all the ancient warfare stuff I've read, this is the best. Very easy to read and understand. FYI, Hanson has many titles relating to ancient Greece available, all of which are well done. His "A War Like No Other: How the Athenians and Spartans Fought the Peloponnesian War" is also good, making a confusing war (for me, anyway) a lot easier to follow. -- Al

Brad, you won't regret getting it. Of all the ancient warfare stuff I've read, this is the best. Very easy to read and understand. FYI, Hanson has many titles relating to ancient Greece available, all of which are well done. His "A War Like No Other: How the Athenians and Spartans Fought the Peloponnesian War" is also good, making a confusing war (for me, anyway) a lot easier to follow. -- Al

Hi, Al!

Hanson is a good commentator and essayist, too. You might be interested in visiting his website, www.victorhanson.com

Prost!
Brad

I am just finishing A Close Run Thing : Cornet Hervey's adventures before and during the Battle of Waterloo, by Allan Mallison, the first in a series of historical novels about a British Light Dragoon officer beginning in the late Napoleonic Wars.

Next I am turning to Alone with Glory, the first in the Ties of Blood Peninsula War series by Peter Youds, which among other things, received a very favorable review from the prestigious Napoleon Series web site. He is also very approachable and was kind enough to sign the first two books in the series for me.
http://www.napoleon-series.org/reviews/fiction/c_Youds.html

Just a comment on the thread itself-I noticed that we've kept it going for over a year, now. It's interesting to go back and see what we were reading, when it first went up (also to go back and remind myself of titles others of you have mentioned, that I want to note and forgot to add to my reading list-D'OH!)

Prost!
Brad

Now I am reading The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco and I like it greatly. It is a detective with the elements of history.:p

Finished "Shattered Sword" over the weekend, and after seeing a note that Monday was the 72nd anniversary of its publishing, I started reading "The Hobbit" for the umpteenth time.

fighter boys buy patrick bishop and comics books

richard .

Finished "Shattered Sword" over the weekend, and after seeing a note that Monday was the 72nd anniversary of its publishing, I started reading "The Hobbit" for the umpteenth time.
Hi Brad. What did you think of "Shattered Sword"? I found it to be one of the best WW2 books I have read in a long time. -- Al

:D..Hi Guys,
Still navigating around the site...I'll jump-in anyway....
'The Wicked wit of Winston Churchill'....complied by Dominique Enright...
ISBN 1-85479-529-5...

A great easy read,with fabulous quotes from the great man....

''If Hitler invaded Hell,I would at least make a favourable reference to the Devil in the House of Commons'

And a fave' of mine...

'I can well understand the Honourable Member's wishing to speak on.He needs the practice badly'

Geoff.

ISBN 1-85479-529-5...

''If Hitler invaded Hell,I would at least make a favourable reference to the Devil in the House of Commons'

And a fave' of mine...

'I can well understand the Honourable Member's wishing to speak on.He needs the practice badly'

Geoff.

"I am preparing my impromptu remarks"
Great Book !!
Mike

Just finished "Mirage," a fascinating account of the savants who accompanied Napoleon to Egypt. If you've satisfied your curiosity about Napoleon's campaigns in the Near East, but still want to flesh out the story further, then this book is for you. I'm now reading Pouchot's memoirs from the FIW. This edition is heavily annotated, which is quite helpful.:):)

ISBN 1-85479-529-5...

And a fave' of mine...

Geoff.

It is, indeed, a great, easy read, especially if you're a Churchill fan.

Just got back from my hols whre I managed to read:

1. Agincourt by Juliet Barker - an excellnt campaign history.

2. Azincourt by Bernard Cornwall - a typically good yarn from this author. Even Mrs Evzone enjoyed it.

3. A Few Acres of Snow by Robert Leckie - general history of the struggle for dominance in the New World. - some interesting observations - the author doesn't hold back!

4. Dunkirk by Maj Julien Thompson - A reasonably detailed military history of the fall of France focussed on the BEF.

5. D-Day By Anthony Beevor - many Treefroggers will be familiar with this one.

6. Death or Victory by Dan Snow - an entertaining account from the 'golden boy' of BBC TV military history, even though a couple of friends of mine refuse to touch any of his works.

Started but didn't get anywhere near finishing Francis Packman's Montcalm and Wolfe.

Anybody else read any of the above (minus D-Day) and got thoughts?

Hi Brad. What did you think of "Shattered Sword"? I found it to be one of the best WW2 books I have read in a long time. -- Al

I agree, Al, this was my second go-round for "Shattered Sword", and I think I'll add it to my Midway anniversary read every year.

The research is impeccable, and the book represents revisionism in the positive sense of the word--that when we uncover new information, it may be necessary to review and revise previously-held premises about an event.

It's interesting to understand how Western accounts drew so heavily on Fuchida's "Midway-The Battle that Doomed Japan", and that his account, while well-stated, is really suspect on the topic of the state of the Japanese carrier operations as the American attacks came in, and on Nagumo's subsequent behavior, after transferring his flag to Nagara. And also how Yamamoto, while rightly credited for his genius, made some serious mistakes, both in the battle plan, but also in his operational plans going all the way back to the immediate post-Pearl Harbor days, and that despite having sanctioned creation of the First Air Fleet, he still was a battlewagon strategist at heart. I had never realized that, until reading Shattered Sword.

I recommend it highly, for anyone interested in the Battle of Midway.

Prost!
Brad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back