What Toy Soldier items Have You Acquired in The Last 2 Weeks ? (2 Viewers)

Hi John

thanks for that. I didn realise that JJD used the same castings to represent diff troop types. I didn tk that they looked particularly Arabic either….

rgds Victor

Here are my recent two EBAY finds. Great stuff in 48mm (Heyde scale). The Picture of the painted post waggon I took from the Berliner Zinnfiguren Page.

They still stock it but the other coach is gone. As with the 120 year old original castings the collector needs to build the roof and seats from tin plate. Maker is not known, I persume Krause of Gotha. Castings must come out of the original (brass ?) moulds , these are very good smooth quality.

Enjoy
Regards

Wolfgang

tft2.jpgtft01.jpgtft3.jpgtft1.jpg

Found this on EBAY, Scale somewhere between 1/43 and 1/48. Painting and markings are a bit odd. Still like it. Does anybody know who made these?
{sm4}
Material is white metal, neither zinc nor aluminium.

re1.jpg

re2.jpg

re3.jpg

Attachments

• re4.jpg
    re4.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 399
Metal Shed - Nieuport 17 bis N.2405

My collection started with HECO models which were later added to with models by other makers and my own creations in the same style, yet as I mentioned in post 3863 I have been interested in adding a model by Metal Shed. Finally the opportunity arose when this French Nieuport 17 in the markings of Lt. Charles Nungesser appeared on E-bay for a reasonable price and better still the model had already crossed the 'pond' so no import duties were involved. Thus I wasted no time in making my successful bid.

s-l1600.jpg s-l1600 (1).jpg

My collection is entirely German (mainly Saxon) piloted machines but quite a number of Nieuport 17s were captured by the Germans and used for evaluation and training exercises with many staying with the successful Jasta as a popular recreational plane. One of these was an early Nieuport 17 bis the first victory of OfStv Hüttner of Jasta 14 on February 11, 1917. Nieuport N. 2405 was flown by Brig Jean Lambert of Détachement de Chasse 506 who died of his wounds the next day, but the plane remained with Jasta 14 for some time during which the Saxon ace Paul Roth flew it on a number of occasions.

Whilst I was generally impressed with the model I could not resist making a number of minor modifications all of which proved far harder than anticipated due to the strong metal used in its construction. Thus I eventually properly aligned the cowling taking advantage of this process to replace the horrible engine and propeller. I removed the 'alien' pilot, replaced the wheels with moving rubber tyred ones and finally hardest of all I had to remove the fuselage mounted machine gun which was not present on N. 2405.

DSCF0695.jpg DSCF0696.jpg

Ironically whilst there are numerous photos of the plane post capture still in its French markings so far I have found none in its later German livery so for the moment these markings are conjectural assuming that Germans kept the red nose of D. de C. 506 whilst adding the Jasta's iconic Black and white fuselage stripes.

My first impession of Metal Shed was favourable and should the right model appear again I would definitely add it to my collection

Last edited:
Hi John,
Would say they could double up as Afeghan fighters on the Northwestern Frontier Wars?
Cheer
A_C

Victor,

John Jenkins has made two versions of these figures, I chose to get the Arab Mercenaries because they have a more ragged and individual paint finish.

The others are listed as Maratha Infantry and wear a red turban and white clothing, so more uniformly dressed.

See the difference ...

View attachment 298813

Arab Mercenaries

View attachment 298815

Maratha Infantry

John

Royal Aircraft Factory BE 12 - The worst Britisg single seat fighter of WWI?

Some time ago whilst looking for possible future projects I came across a picture of what I thought was a captured R.E. 8 a journeyman two-seater used by the British during the last two years of the war. Being unable to find any info on this R.E. 8 I sought help from the American expert Greg v Wyngarden who was kind enough to answer by query. The answer was far stranger than I had imagined as the plane was in fact a single seat B.E.12 fighter possibly the worst fighter of WWI.

The Royal Aircraft Factory (RAF) had since the 1912 been producing the two seat B.E. 2 which had performed admirably until 1915 saw arrival of the Fokker Eindeckers at which point the plane's lack of maneuverability meant it soon gained the reputation as 'Fokker Fodder'. However, by early 1916 the British had designed their own interrupter gear and so the Royal Aircraft Factory decided to mount the new machine gun on a new single seat variant of the B.E 2 the B.E.12 (the front seat being replaced by a larger fuel tank) which was to be powered by the Factory's new V12 engine. Sadly, the larger engine required a larger air intake which meant the machine gun had to be mounted on the side of the fuselage. Worse the plane retained the B.E 2's lack of maneuverability and the extra 30 mph created by the new engine was soon eclipsed by the new German fighters who easily took advantage of the B.E.12's lack of defensive armament and losses were horrific. The B.E.12 entered front-line service in July 1916, but by 24/09/16 Sir Hugh Trenchard (commander of the RFC) wrote '' I have come to the conclusion that the B.E.12 is not a fighting machine in any way...and I am afraid we are losing more of these machines than we can afford in pilots''.

3.jpg 2.jpg

Strangely the Germans repainted with crosses and flew at least three B.E.12s possibly as trainers. One of these was 6180 of 19 Sqn forced down 22 October 1916 probably by the Saxon Off. Stv. Reimann of Jasta 2 as his 2nd victory . The plane was piloted by the American 2/Lt. Ruskin Watts from Westfield, NJ who became a POW.

DSCF0697.jpg DSCF0700.jpg

Whilst it really was a 'naff' fighter it made for an interesting and challenging model to build which for obvious reasons to date has been avoided by most model manufacturers.

Wow Mark! :salute:: Love the two new conversions! I have a few Metalshed pieces, and are quite fond of them. That B.E. 12 sounds like a real nightmare, but your conversion looks terrific.

Re: Royal Aircraft Factory BE 12 - The worst Britisg single seat fighter of WWI?

Some time ago whilst looking for possible future projects I came across a picture of what I thought was a captured R.E. 8 a journeyman two-seater used by the British during the last two years of the war. Being unable to find any info on this R.E. 8 I sought help from the American expert Greg v Wyngarden who was kind enough to answer by query. The answer was far stranger than I had imagined as the plane was in fact a single seat B.E.12 fighter possibly the worst fighter of WWI.

The Royal Aircraft Factory (RAF) had since the 1912 been producing the two seat B.E. 2 which had performed admirably until 1915 saw arrival of the Fokker Eindeckers at which point the plane's lack of maneuverability meant it soon gained the reputation as 'Fokker Fodder'. However, by early 1916 the British had designed their own interrupter gear and so the Royal Aircraft Factory decided to mount the new machine gun on a new single seat variant of the B.E 2 the B.E.12 (the front seat being replaced by a larger fuel tank) which was to be powered by the Factory's new V12 engine. Sadly, the larger engine required a larger air intake which meant the machine gun had to be mounted on the side of the fuselage. Worse the plane retained the B.E 2's lack of maneuverability and the extra 30 mph created by the new engine was soon eclipsed by the new German fighters who easily took advantage of the B.E.12's lack of defensive armament and losses were horrific. The B.E.12 entered front-line service in July 1916, but by 24/09/16 Sir Hugh Trenchard (commander of the RFC) wrote '' I have come to the conclusion that the B.E.12 is not a fighting machine in any way...and I am afraid we are losing more of these machines than we can afford in pilots''.

View attachment 300376 View attachment 300375

Strangely the Germans repainted with crosses and flew at least three B.E.12s possibly as trainers. One of these was 6180 of 19 Sqn forced down 22 October 1916 probably by the Saxon Off. Stv. Reimann of Jasta 2 as his 2nd victory . The plane was piloted by the American 2/Lt. Ruskin Watts from Westfield, NJ who became a POW.

View attachment 300377 View attachment 300378

Whilst it really was a 'naff' fighter it made for an interesting and challenging model to build which for obvious reasons to date has been avoided by most model manufacturers.
Really a brilliant conversion of a little known aircraft. I have hoped for years for someone to do a BE-2 because it was such an important aircraft, although the BE-12 was much less so. The BE-2 did yeoman service in the RFC, even though suffering huge losses as it was outclassed by just about every aircraft it's enemies flew. Oddly, the BE-2 proved to be a decent 'Home defense' fighter and was used in fighting the Zeppelin menace. -- Al

At the flea market you can find the most bizarre but also useful things. I found these metal footballers for only 3 euros each, perfect for a conversion.^&grin

20231111_134913.jpg

I picked up this amazing Heco Tinplate Models Junkers JU34:

Attachments

• Heco Junkers JU34 1.jpg
    Heco Junkers JU34 1.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 260
  • Heco Junkers JU34 4.jpg
    Heco Junkers JU34 4.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 259
  • Heco Junkers JU34 2.jpg
    Heco Junkers JU34 2.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 259
  • Heco Junkers JU34 3.jpg
    Heco Junkers JU34 3.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 255
Here it is on my TM Terrain Luftwaffe airfield, populated with all Heco Tinplate models and figures:

Attachments

• Heco Junkers JU34 5.jpg
    Heco Junkers JU34 5.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 178
  • Heco Junkers JU34 6.jpg
    Heco Junkers JU34 6.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 178
  • Heco Junkers JU34 7.jpg
    Heco Junkers JU34 7.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 178
  • Heco Junkers JU34 8.jpg
    Heco Junkers JU34 8.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 179
Haven't received this yet but here is my first comission from Attica Miniatures.
Mark

proxy (1).jpgproxy.jpg

The additions to my collection that were under the tree Christmas morning.

20231226_175706000_iOS.jpg

I didn't get the chance to attend the Chicago show, but reading through the pamphlet has convinced me to make the pilgrimage next year.

Brendan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back