What Toy Soldier items Have You Acquired in The Last 2 Weeks ? (6 Viewers)

Re: Heco Style Sopwith 1½ Strutter

The latest addition to my collection is a scratch built HECO style SopwithStrutter ithe RFCs first fighter with a synchronised machine gun, being given the name Strutter because of the long and short cabane struts that supported the top wingand it fits in perfectly with my recent B.E.12.

View attachment 302908 View attachment 302909

The markings are based on those provided by the Ukrainian model company Toko from 1998 who are now called Roden and have a good reputation for accuracy which are for a Royal Navy machine captured by the Germans in 1917. Sadly there are no other references or photos of machine 1913, although a machine numbered A1913 from No 70 Squadron RFC part of batch A1902-A1931 of 30 SopwithStrutters transferred from the R.N.A.S.to the RFC. was forced down behind the German lines on 17 September 1916 with Lieut Oswald Nixon being killed & Lieut R Wood being taken prisoner. Apparently originally RFC planes in France had no letter in front of the number so possibly the 'A' had not been added before it was forced down. A further fly in the ointment is a photo of what is supposed to be part of the of A1913.

Maybe at some point I may have to repaint the model as the all PC 10 brown A1914.

Love the model as is. Kudos if you can repaint it!
Best Wishes
Paddy

I haven't bought much in a while but I bought the JJD Fur Trade fort.
Mark

s-l1600.jpg

Looks like everyone is getting some cool stuff!!!

I'm awaiting delivery of a TCS Normandy Sherman Tank. Fingers crossed, I was told it shipped Friday.

I just picked up the First Legion M10 Wolverine and Crew, as well as the First Legion Franco Prussian War Prussian officer, standard bearer, drummer and sergeant:

Attachments

• FL M10 Wolverine 1.jpg
    FL M10 Wolverine 1.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 193
  • FL M10 Wolverine 4.jpg
    FL M10 Wolverine 4.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 192
  • FL Prussian Infantry 1.jpg
    FL Prussian Infantry 1.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 192
  • FL Prussian Infantry 3.jpg
    FL Prussian Infantry 3.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 192
I just picked up the First Legion M10 Wolverine and Crew, as well as the First Legion Franco Prussian War Prussian officer, standard bearer, drummer and sergeant:

Have you had to expand your display into the next floor down yet, Louis? ;)

Prost!
Brad

Great looking display. A few years ago I visited both the Rhodes and Malta visiting the Knights strongholds amongst other delights, Both islands having fantastic museums detailing their history. Malta just getting the prize with so much to see, though if you fancy time to relax on a beach as well, then Rhodes takes the prize !

Great looking display. A few years ago I visited both the Rhodes and Malta visiting the Knights strongholds amongst other delights, Both islands having fantastic museums detailing their history. Malta just getting the prize with so much to see, though if you fancy time to relax on a beach as well, then Rhodes takes the prize !

Dad regrets not seeing either island in his travels. But then you can't go everywhere. Including Egypt after he went to Israel, according to Loyola of Rome's travel-savvy priests in late'72-early'73.
Dad did go to Greece 3 times and Istanbul once. He was in Ios but couldn't get a separate ferry to Rhodes. He tried. Malta he had to scratch so he could see more of Spain.
My research shows some pics of the Malta museum and we have friends and relatives who have gone to Rhodes. Thanks for the real-life impressions. Both sound wonderful and we're happy you were able to enjoy them.
Just one more thing: Suchet's Poirot in Rhodes in worth a watch if you want to remember your travels...
But don't drink the pink gin...
Best Wishes to our good friend across the pond,
Paddy for Dad & me

Quite an eclectic mix arrived today from my latest purchases, all from evilbay, 3 sellers, just arrived on the same day

John Jenkins Jacobite range BJ04 Ready, quite impressed and got them for only £44

K & C – as always I am really impressed, plus first time I have received K & C in a Black box. Much better than the white boxes.
BBG121 – Advancing
AK127 – Sandbag Emplacement team

William Britains
43104 Coldstream Guards 1815 Musick – 10 piece
The last set I needed to complete the band, 39 figures in total.

Attachments

• o.jpg
    o.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 264
Jasta 13s Captured SPAD XIII

Many years ago Tony Williams was kind enough to make me a SPAD VII (the only one I have seen to date) which was duly finished in the markings of the captured one known to have been flown by the Saxon Ace Rudolf Windisch. To date it remains my favourite HECO model and there seemed was no need to add a XIII to the collection until much to my surprise a photo turned up of a SPAD XIII apparently used by Jasta 13 for some time presumably for evaluation and training roles in which it must have proved useful judging by the units success against the type.

Now Jasta 13 has a special place in my psyche as commanded by the leading Saxon ace Franz Buchner (40 vics.) it appears to have been mainly composed of Saxons along side the odd Wurtemburger including two other Saxon aces Werner Niethammer (6) and Kurt Hetze (5). So the chance to add a late version SPAD XIII as used by the Jasta complete with the retained ‘wasp’ insignia of its original French unit SPA 89 was just to much of a temptation. Thus as is typical of me having turned down numerous opportunities to purchase a HECO SPAD XIII because it did not fit in with my collection I then find out when it is too late that there was a niche for it after all.

After months of searching for either a HECO or another similar sized metal SPAD I discovered a slightly oversized model that seemed to offer the chance I was looking for only to be disappointed with the inaccuracy of the model. In the end I utilized as much of the model as possible but resolved to make one as close as possible to those made by HECO using the numerous photos on this thread and my VII as a template. This is the finished model slightly larger than my VII as was the real XIII with the rounder tail and two machine guns. This is the result along with the three Saxon aces from the Jasta l-r Niethammer, Buchner and Hetze.
DSCF0715.jpg DSCF0718.jpg

Re: Jasta 13s Captured SPAD XIII

Many years ago Tony Williams was kind enough to make me a SPAD VII (the only one I have seen to date) which was duly finished in the markings of the captured one known to have been flown by the Saxon Ace Rudolf Windisch. To date it remains my favourite HECO model and there seemed was no need to add a XIII to the collection until much to my surprise a photo turned up of a SPAD XIII apparently used by Jasta 13 for some time presumably for evaluation and training roles in which it must have proved useful judging by the units success against the type.

Now Jasta 13 has a special place in my psyche as commanded by the leading Saxon ace Franz Buchner (40 vics.) it appears to have been mainly composed of Saxons along side the odd Wurtemburger including two other Saxon aces Werner Niethammer (6) and Kurt Hetze (5). So the chance to add a late version SPAD XIII as used by the Jasta complete with the retained ‘wasp’ insignia of its original French unit SPA 89 was just to much of a temptation. Thus as is typical of me having turned down numerous opportunities to purchase a HECO SPAD XIII because it did not fit in with my collection I then find out when it is too late that there was a niche for it after all.

After months of searching for either a HECO or another similar sized metal SPAD I discovered a slightly oversized model that seemed to offer the chance I was looking for only to be disappointed with the inaccuracy of the model. In the end I utilized as much of the model as possible but resolved to make one as close as possible to those made by HECO using the numerous photos on this thread and my VII as a template. This is the finished model slightly larger than my VII as was the real XIII with the rounder tail and two machine guns. This is the result along with the three Saxon aces from the Jasta l-r Niethammer, Buchner and Hetze.
View attachment 305584 View attachment 305585

Great job, Mark!:salute::

Re: Jasta 13s Captured SPAD XIII

Hi Mark,
another nice addition to your collection. I like the paint pattern very much, so much contrast.
Truly an unusual aircraft and a joy to look at. Thank you for your interesting remarks on the history.
rgds
Wolfgang

Commandeered Blériot XI of Gustav Tweer

On a number occasions I have had the opportunity to purchase a HECO Blériot which to my mind is one of Tony's more interesting models, but on each occasion I could not find any indication that the German Air Service had ever operated the type captured or otherwise. I was aware that the German Navy had acquired one captured from the Belgians in 1915, but do not have naval planes in my collection. Then whilst researching for my DFW Taub (post 3870) I utilised a copy of the Windsock Publications ' Taub at War' and was intrigued by a listing at the back of the inventory of the German Air Service in 1914 as in amongst the many Albatros, Aviatic and Taub planes was just one Blériot. Eventually, I was able to discover something about the bizarre background to this aircraft.

I eventually discovered a picture in an old German book of the modified and strengthened Blériot XI complete with unusual early war crosses that had been commandeered in 1914 from the German prewar racing and stunt pilot Gustav Tweer. Tweer had been a close friend and associate of the French stunt flyer Adophe Pégoud and purchased this Blériot conceivably with financial aid provided by the German Government as in the early years of the Twentieth Century the German Government partially funded the private purchase by citizens and companies of motor vehicles on the understanding that in Wartime these would would revert to the military. Sadly, I am not sure that copyright rules allows me to show the picture of the Blériot in German markings but this is one of a number of pictures of Tweer with the plane pre-war from the internet.
GustavTweer1914.jpg 399-1 (1).jpg
I have always believed that most if not all of the Prewar flyers were completely 'barmy' but in Tweer's case I definitely think he was not playing with a full deck (being at least one suit short of a full pack) as can be seen from this picture of the plane he designed so it could be landed upside down. Tweer himself also joined the Air Service and served with FFA 15 on the Eastern Front. In 1916 the Air Service decided his talents would be of greater benefit as a test pilot but sadly this led to his death on 1 November 1916 when he was killed testing a new plane of the Hannoveraner Waggonfabrik (Hannover) Company. He was only 23 when his luck ran out.

DSCF0721.jpg DSCF0722.jpg
Initially, I intended modifying a HECO Blériot but decided that I would have to make too many changes to create the Tweer version. There followed one of my most frustrating scratch builds which I would certainly of scrapped had a HECO one become available. Finally this is the fruits of my labours and a companion to my Taub.

Wow, Mark! What a terrific scratch build! :salute:: I thought for sure it was a Heco Tinplate Model you converted!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back