What Toy Soldier items Have You Acquired in The Last 2 Weeks ? (4 Viewers)

Latest addition to my ww2 movies section along with the Kellys Heroes sets ... was rude not to at £49 bnib . Moved house recently and have finally got a room for the collection . Will post images when complete

View attachment 297762

Well done on picking up such an amazing bargain. 👍🏻

At last a Taub.

It is difficult to believe that when I first discovered HECO at the London Toy Soldier Show I had no planes in my collection. My immediate thought was I wanted one of these lovely planes, but to fit in with my collection of units of the Royal Saxon Army 1875-1914 it would need to be a Taub for the Saxon Flying Company raised early in 1914. There followed the first of many interesting conversations with Tony Williams about the possibility of a commissioned Taub that sadly never materialised. Subsequently, I expanded the scope of my collection to 1870-1918 and invested much time into discovering some Saxon Aces and the 30 odd planes later the rest is history as they say as the planes are now my main interest.

However, I have never forgotten that initial interest in a Taub and for a while seriously considered saving up for a Metal Shed one before Covid intervened. However, recently as my good friend Wolfgang UK will attest I have been acquiring various parts that could eventually be transformed into the desired model finally finding a chocolates tin in the shape of a fan to help create the unique wing shape.

This is the result prior to painting along with two figures for the crew. Hopefully the finished model should follow shortly
DSCF0664.jpg DSCF0671.jpg
As you can see the fan was used for the wing tips and tail, hope you like it!

Re: At last a Taub.

It is difficult to believe that when I first discovered HECO at the London Toy Soldier Show I had no planes in my collection. My immediate thought was I wanted one of these lovely planes, but to fit in with my collection of units of the Royal Saxon Army 1875-1914 it would need to be a Taub for the Saxon Flying Company raised early in 1914. There followed the first of many interesting conversations with Tony Williams about the possibility of a commissioned Taub that sadly never materialised. Subsequently, I expanded the scope of my collection to 1870-1918 and invested much time into discovering some Saxon Aces and the 30 odd planes later the rest is history as they say as the planes are now my main interest.

However, I have never forgotten that initial interest in a Taub and for a while seriously considered saving up for a Metal Shed one before Covid intervened. However, recently as my good friend Wolfgang UK will attest I have been acquiring various parts that could eventually be transformed into the desired model finally finding a chocolates tin in the shape of a fan to help create the unique wing shape.

This is the result prior to painting along with two figures for the crew. Hopefully the finished model should follow shortly
View attachment 298132 View attachment 298133

Wow, Marc! I can't wait to see the finished Taub!:salute::

Another great plane from your ever growing collection. Difficult shape and design to built. Admire your dedication and fantasy for useing various materials and build techniques. Eager to see the painted version. Great work, thank you for shareing.
Regards Wolfgang

1915 Book Cover " Taube vs Gitterschwanz"

Attachments

• 0002.jpg
    0002.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 324
The castings were converted from British Officer figures by Imperial Miniatures using parts from the Dorset Soldiers parts range they acquired from Giles Brown. As the Taub was unarmed I have given the observer a carbine as a defensive weapon. I may yet change the head of the observer to give him a smaller cap.

Re: At last a Taub.

View attachment 298132 View attachment 298133
This is spectacular work, both in terms of imaginative use of materials, and in the accuracy of a very difficult and complicated aircraft. I look forward to viewing the finished project. -- Al

Latest additions to my ACW display table, JJD AWART-01 (Federal Limber w/Horse Team) with ACWART-03 (Federal M1841 6pdr Field Gun) in tow. A stellar 2-set combination.

Mike
PXL_20230805_203600896_8Kw2VvcK2t.jpeg

At last DFW Taub A.184.13 The Saxon Aviation Company's First Plane

The order for the creation of the Saxon Flieger Kompanie came late in 1913 to be based in Großenhain, and on 21/02/14 the unit received its first plane Taube A.184.13 one of two ordered by the German Military from the Leipzig based company Deutche Flugzeugwerke (DFW) to be assigned to the Saxon Company. It arrived from Döberitz flown by the all Saxon crew of Lnt. Emil Clemens (pilot - left with cane) and Lnt. Rudolf Hasenohr (observer - right) the flight taking two and a half hours due to the adversely strong headwinds.
DSCF0673.jpg DSCF0674.jpg DSCF0676.jpg DSCF0678.jpg

When it arrived the plane was only marked with designation number A.184.13 but with the start of the war it received the Saxon units interpretation of the order to mark all planes with black crosses.

The two men remained together as a crew at the start of WWI being assigned to the mainly Saxon manned FFA 24 flying LVG and Albatros biplanes as the DFW Taubs were deemed unsuitable for frontline action and remained in Germany as trainers. On 19/09/14 Clemens and Hasenohr became the first crew to simultaneously receive Saxony’s highest decoration for bravery the Military Order of St. Henry for the same action.

The Citations

Emil Clemens Oberleutnantt in the (Saxon) Pioneer Battalion No. 22 - assigned to the Field Aviation Battalion 24, when he delivered important reports together with Rudolf Hasenohr in stormy weather in September 1914

Rudolf Hasenohr Leutnant in the (Saxon) Infantry Regiment No. 181 - assigned to the Field Aviation Battalion 24. During a flight on September 19, 1914, he (together with his pilot Emil Clemens) showed his fearlessness in a flight through a storm and enemy fire

All made possible with this brass tin.

DSCF0675.jpg

Hope you like the finished model which amazingly required over six meters (19.5 feet) of piano wire to complete.

Re: At last DFW Taub A.184.13 The Saxon Aviation Company's First Plane

The order for the creation of the Saxon Flieger Kompanie came late in 1913 to be based in Großenhain, and on 21/02/14 the unit received its first plane Taube A.184.13 one of two ordered by the German Military from the Leipzig based company Deutche Flugzeugwerke (DFW) to be assigned to the Saxon Company. It arrived from Döberitz flown by the all Saxon crew of Lnt. Emil Clemens (pilot - left with cane) and Lnt. Rudolf Hasenohr (observer - right) the flight taking two and a half hours due to the adversely strong headwinds.
View attachment 298423 View attachment 298424 View attachment 298425 View attachment 298427

When it arrived the plane was only marked with designation number A.184.13 but with the start of the war it received the Saxon units interpretation of the order to mark all planes with black crosses.

The two men remained together as a crew at the start of WWI being assigned to the mainly Saxon manned FFA 24 flying LVG and Albatros biplanes as the DFW Taubs were deemed unsuitable for frontline action and remained in Germany as trainers. On 19/09/14 Clemens and Hasenohr became the first crew to simultaneously receive Saxony’s highest decoration for bravery the Military Order of St. Henry for the same action.

The Citations

Emil Clemens Oberleutnantt in the (Saxon) Pioneer Battalion No. 22 - assigned to the Field Aviation Battalion 24, when he delivered important reports together with Rudolf Hasenohr in stormy weather in September 1914

Rudolf Hasenohr Leutnant in the (Saxon) Infantry Regiment No. 181 - assigned to the Field Aviation Battalion 24. During a flight on September 19, 1914, he (together with his pilot Emil Clemens) showed his fearlessness in a flight through a storm and enemy fire

View attachment 298428

Hope you like the finished model which amazingly required over six meters (19.5 feet) of piano wire to complete.
This is simply superb. It takes incredible skill and dedication to tackle this aircraft. Congratulations on a job very well done. I really enjoy looking at this one. -- Al

Another fantastic paint job done. I am almost confused how big this airplane actually is. The wireing around the wings and fuselage is looking great. Must have been that kind of project you only want to do once in your life. True passion and heartblood used here Regarding our hobby you will no better than anybody else, that there is a difference between buying and makeing stuff for ones own collection.{sm4}
Very well done and a big moral booster for all who just like to add that very special piece to their collection. You lead the way.

Regards
Wolfgang

I've admired this Britains Premier German 7.7 Gun - Review Order set since I first saw it in their catalog back in the 90s. Finally got around to getting one.

Attachments

• PXL_20230810_185122995.jpg
    PXL_20230810_185122995.jpg
    308.9 KB · Views: 332
Re: At last DFW Taub A.184.13 The Saxon Aviation Company's First Plane

View attachment 298423 View attachment 298424 View attachment 298425 View attachment 298427

The Citations

View attachment 298428

Stunning work, Mark! :salute:: You are giving Tony Williams a run for his money!

The King's Colour of the 74th Regiment of Foot has arrived on my Assey Battlefield display .

assey.jpg

Next month the Regimental Colour should be delivered too :)

This is the opposing forces of Arab Mercenaries

Arabs.jpg

John

Hi Victor,

I am a bit confused, what is inside those boxes ? The two Schleich Elephants?:confused:

Hi Wolfgang,

Im a bit of an elephant fancier. Saw these Schleich beasties which are very compatible with 1/32 scale and bought these in Japan. I showed them in conjunction to the excellent elephant kit which I also acquired.

Rgds Victor

89DBBA8A-ED92-470E-9700-6444B213630B.jpeg

Hi John,
battle of Assaye, right? Did you mean Maratha mercs, not Arab? Rgds Vic

Victor,

John Jenkins has made two versions of these figures, I chose to get the Arab Mercenaries because they have a more ragged and individual paint finish.

The others are listed as Maratha Infantry and wear a red turban and white clothing, so more uniformly dressed.

See the difference ...

m-win-23_1_.jpg

Arab Mercenaries

m-win-33_1_.jpg

Maratha Infantry

John

Attachments

• m-win-32_1_.jpg
    m-win-32_1_.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 325

Users who are viewing this thread

Back