When Is It Going to Be $40 For A Single Figure (1 Viewer)

I agree with Joe, in that when we speak about "quality", we need to specify which style of toy soldier we're talking about. For example, when we're talking about matte style figures whose detail comes close to plastic or resin scale kits, then we could say that some figures are better today than at a point in the past. But the standards or criteria will be different between the matte figures and the glossy figures. And within the glossy lines, there are varying levels of detail, depending on the style the manufacturer has chosen to apply. Is it supposed to be a classic toy soldier, a la classic Britains hollowcast, or is it supposed to be a figure of the detail of a Stadden or Imrie-Risley?

Prost!
Brad

Looks like prices will go up a bit, slowly.
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/0...china-exchange-rate-decision/?test=latestnews

"China's central bank promised Saturday to allow more exchange rate flexibility, suggesting a possible break from the Chinese yuan's two-year peg to the U.S. dollar, but it ruled out any large-scale appreciation.

The statement posted on the website of the People's Bank of China mentioned no specific policy changes, though markets will be watched closely Monday for its effects. Chinese officials have said all along that reforms of the yuan, also known as the renminbi, or "people's money," will be gradual."

I'm with u guys
Too many to choose from
Have to be selective
I see with every new figures or set coming out
it's a price increase
Remember the baseball cards in the eighties
New companies came out Dunruss Fleer Upper Deck
Then came special cards , limited editions
Card show were big then
Nobody could keep up
where's the card market today(GONE)
I hope this not happen with toy soldiers
Will be watching football again

Prices in this hobby have been on a steady rise by the "Old Guard" in this hobby....and have been really ridiculous for some time now in regards to "retired" items, which I feel has somewhat contributed to inflated current prices......Quality is somewhat better for some products but does not warrant some of the price increases that have occurred IMO.....I now find that I am purchasing MUCH LESS.... but....I am also seeking increased quality....If the quality is not there I DO NOT PURCHASE at any price.....I do not count on being able to re-sell K/C items for double what I paid for them to fund future purchases....As has been the game plan of some "collectors" in the good old days.......I will pay for quality figures only...not the same old same old.....Just this individual's strategy in regards to price increases

To each our own, but no amount of realism or ultra-quality is worth a $45-$50 price tag for any one figure. My entire collection of hundreds of figures was created from the $100 or less for a set of 6, philosophy. As most of us old style collectors know, the beauty and quality of gloss can still be had at reasonable prices at list as well as on Ebay..Michael

I have stopped collecting K&C 1 year ago NOT because the price was increasing but because the quality of the figures was not (for me) worth a 57% increase in price per figure.

However I have recently ordered 2 dozens of first legion figures and I'm so happy about my purchase. Yes they cost more (way over 35$ per figure) but the quality is there and you get what you pay for. I do not have that feeling with the current K&C offering .... and I find it sad. When I'm visiting my local K&C shop, I can still see the same figures on the shelves that were there 2, 3 and 4 years ago !

My humble opinion,

Alex (please don't flame me ! :))

I must say that these are valid statements... increases in price should be proportionately matched with improved quality........And the days of price gouging on secondary markets for "retired items" are thankfully long gone .....

Well, here we go down another BS thread that is going to enter the area of personal preference. K-rist.

Look, the price by all makers is NUTS. However, when you speak of quality, all of them are painted to high standards, etc.

IT IS PREFERENCE, so one person is going to say K&C is not worth the increase in price b/c no increase in quality. Another will say FL charges too much for a single figure and that is not worth it and so on and so on and so on.

Here is an honest take: K&C produce the same figures at the same quality with the same unique interpretation, price increased due to the market, supplies, materials, etc.

FL still produces figures at their standard, same quality they always have, etc. but their price went up too from the beginning. Still high quality stuff.

The price increases were not driven by quality. Decisions to purchase - IT IS PREFERENCE by the individual collector regarding which company you buy. Myself, I do not buy as many figure sets anymore, I concentrate on planes trains and autos from all makers I like.

TD

I must say that these are valid statements... increases in price should be proportionately matched with improved quality........And the days of price gouging on secondary markets for "retired items" are thankfully long gone .....

Frank,

Since you brought it up again I would like to know what you consider is price gouging-and just not for Toy Soldiers but any collectible (i.e. aviation/military art; coins; antique aircraft or cars; diecast toys; and militaria for example) that has been sold out and is no longer available from a retail establishment? Is it a certain percentage over the initial retail price; is it time dependent as in the number of years since manufacture; is it something I have not mentioned? Where is the line drawn for you? Thank you for your time and consideration.

Regards,
Marc

I am just enjoying what I have, I may buy an item or two from time to time and that will be fine for me, I am sooo glad I am not one of those collectors who has to have it all, I would be going nuts and broke! Just buy what you like when you can, it is a hobby and those are suppose to be fun!

They just had a marble show this weekend and had artists from all over the country attend as making these has become an art form in itself.I was talking to one collector and he said that he has paid $500 for one marble!That's the way it is in the collecting world.
Mark

Frank,

Since you brought it up again I would like to know what you consider is price gouging-and just not for Toy Soldiers but any collectible (i.e. aviation/military art; coins; antique aircraft or cars; diecast toys; and militaria for example) that has been sold out and is no longer available from a retail establishment? Is it a certain percentage over the initial retail price; is it time dependent as in the number of years since manufacture; is it something I have not mentioned? Where is the line drawn for you? Thank you for your time and consideration.

Regards,
Marc

Still waiting for that response Frank...................

Frank,

Regards,
Marc

Good question, Marc

Joe

Still waiting for that response Frank...................

George:

Thanks for jogging me memory as I have a scenario I would like to add to my original question(s) for Frank. Consider this, I buy a retired piece in 2008 that was originally retired say in 2004. The original retail price was $85.00 but I paid $150.00 for it. Come 2010 I decide to part with it and sell it for $200.00 via eBay-in the end I make c. $30.00 after eBay/PayPal fees. In the end there is nothing "evil" about eBay here. I made a small profit and I can in turn utilize the funds for another Toy Soldier set better suited for my collection. My point here is that the individuals accusing others of price gouging assume that everyone bought their items at the initial retail price. I know that it does not apply to all of the sales, but it is something to consider when making widespread generalized comments.

Maybe for loyal British customers King and Country will try to do something to make the tax a bt more fair for collectors, like if collectors buy so much they recieve a free figure?

Total speculation here:)

The thing with price both for new figures and with the secondary market its all about what the individual at the time will be happy to pay and, not feel ripped off by paying.

Thats really my rule on most things I buy. If I am happy to pay £500 for a SL and, I want it and can get it then I am fine with that. We are fortunate that we have a hobby where the price of our collectables either goes up in value or, at the very worst holds its original rate. I cannot remember ever hearing of someone selling a piece of K&C at a loss. Its probably happened but, I have never heard of that happening.

The hobby is getting expensive but, its I suppose, every collectors concern that whatever hobby they indulge in is offering items which, they would like for less.

I just cannot see what dealers can do as prices are pretty fixed and, you either take and absorb the VAT increase or give away free figures. I know K&C UK do well for customers now in terms of deals and discounts so, do not know what else they could do. The free figure thing is interesting but, the dynamics of making it work are problematic as, you are bound to not give a figure to someone who collects that range and, it would be a nightmare trying to ensure each collector recieved a figure they would be happy with.

Was that not some of the problems when the yearly figure was active in the UK??
Mitch

This is a luxury for me and I hope I can have the discipline and willpower to kick this addiction when my finances do not allow me. :eek:

I thought we just came out of the Great Recession and some say a Greater Depression is still ongoing. :confused:

The thing with price both for new figures and with the secondary market its all about what the individual at the time will be happy to pay and, not feel ripped off by paying.

Quite right, Mitch, and it's true in the broader world of collecting, too. The value of an object on the secondary market is whatever the buyer and seller agree on at the time.

Prost!
Brad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back