Which is the most accurate M26 Pershing; Figarti or TCS? (1 Viewer)

Neil; numbers do not lie. The FOV M26 is 1/30 scale and I ran an average of all three dimensions to assure accuracy. The sources for the dimensions of the M26 were cross checked with multiple reliable sources. The photo indictes that both the TCS and Figarti M26s are larger than 1/30 scale.
TCS typically runs 1/28 to 1/27. I expect the Figarti is at least 1/29; which is not atypical for 1/30 vehicles given the tollerances of polystone.

I would appreciate someone providing the dimensionof both the TCS and Figarti M26, so I can calculate the actual scale.

Could you post your measurements for the Figarti please ?

Neil; M26 width138 inches/Figarti width 5 inches=1/127.6 scale. I am trying to aquire additional dimensions on both the Figarti and TCS M26 models. Do you have either one?

Neil; M26 width138 inches/Figarti width 5 inches=1/127.6 scale. I am trying to aquire additional dimensions on both the Figarti and TCS M26 models. Do you have either one?

I had the original FOV version but if I was going to buy one now it would be figarti, are be interested on your views on kc AFV ?

m26comparison.jpeg

The photo measures 50% of actual size of the models. The scales can be calculated as 2X the size of the photo.

TCS 1/26 scale=========Figarti 1/27.6 scale==============FOV 1/30.3 scale Accuracy +/- .5

M26 actual size 138 inches wide X 340 inches long. Thanks again for the excellent photos MGW. The crop factor is a perfect .5 as near as I can measure allowing the calculation of the scales from measurement of the photos.

View attachment 188555

The photo measures 50% of actual size of the models. The scales can be calculated as 2X the size of the photo.

TCS 1/26 scale=========Figarti 1/27.6 scale==============FOV 1/30.3 scale Accuracy +/- .5

M26 actual size 138 inches wide X 340 inches long. Thanks again for the excellent photos MGW. The crop factor is a perfect .5 as near as I can measure allowing the calculation of the scales from measurement of the photos.

So your working the scale of the photo^&confuse:eek:how can That be accurate {sm2}^&confuse

So your working the scale of the photo^&confuse:eek:how can That be accurate {sm2}^&confuse

I know the width of the Figarti M26 is 5 inches. The Figarti M26 in the photo measures 2.5 inches wide. The reduction factor of the photo(crop factor)is .5. Measuring the different models and multiplying by 2 gives the actual size of the model in length and width.

I cannot believe that TCS made a 1/26 scale M26 or Figarti 1/28 if you round up and give it the benifit of the doubt! I can see why you like the Figarti M26; the larger scale will go well with K&C 68mm figures and it is more accurate than the TCS in terms of proportion.

As an aside, it goes to show that if the model is a solid representation of a vehicle a good paint job can take it to another level again. Bob (Fitzgibbon) painted my TCS Stuart and based on that experience (and the fact he painted it for free!) I would now lean toward a cheaper version of a vehicle as long as it was there or thereabouts. That approach will, of course, not suit others who have a more developed eye for detail.

I know the width of the Figarti M26 is 5 inches. The Figarti M26 in the photo measures 2.5 inches wide. The reduction factor of the photo(crop factor)is .5. Measuring the different models and multiplying by 2 gives the actual size of the model in length and width.

I cannot believe that TCS made a 1/26 scale M26 or Figarti 1/28 if you round up and give it the benifit of the doubt! I can see why you like the Figarti M26; the larger scale will go well with K&C 68mm figures and it is more accurate than the TCS in terms of proportion.

The size of a photo would vary depending upon the size of the monitor screen it is viewed on. Larger screen = larger image. Therefore any subject in the photo would also vary in size.

The measurements were made from a digitl laser print out. The dimensions on the print were confirmed by the known measurements of the FOV M26. I have requested dimensional data from TCS and several distributors. Figarti dimensional data provided was verified by the print of a 5 inch width and thus a scale of 1/27.6. The TCS M26 is obviously larger than the Figarti M26 and appears to be about 1/26 scale. I would appreciate anyone providing additional dimensional data as the current sample size is only one unit of each model.

The measurements were made from a digitl laser print out. The dimensions on the print were confirmed by the known measurements of the FOV M26. I have requested dimensional data from TCS and several distributors. Figarti dimensional data provided was verified by the print of a 5 inch width and thus a scale of 1/27.6. The TCS M26 is obviously larger than the Figarti M26 and appears to be about 1/26 scale. I would appreciate anyone providing additional dimensional data as the current sample size is only one unit of each model.

Still doesn't seem like a reliable measuring method especially in this case as the Pershing is 138 inches wide measured on track width (excluding sand shields). Which means you have to turn the model upside down to measure its width accurately, not easy to do on paper :wink2:

The ratio between the models is the important parameter. Just looking at the photo tells you the TCS is huge in relation to the other three. I agree calculating the scale from a photo is not the most accurate method; but it is accurate enough to indicate the TCS is 1/26, the Figart is 1/28 and the FOV is 1/30 because I measured it. The size ratios tell you that much without the numbers. I am just trying to quantify what is obvious. TCS is known for large scale tanks; this one sets a record even for them. The biggest question for me is why Figarti went to 1/28; when all their previous armor was an accurate 1/30, or as accurate as you can get with polystone. I still am looking for more numbers to improve accuracy.

The ratio between the models is the important parameter. Just looking at the photo tells you the TCS is huge in relation to the other three. I agree calculating the scale from a photo is not the most accurate method; but it is accurate enough to indicate the TCS is 1/26, the Figart is 1/28 and the FOV is 1/30 because I measured it. The size ratios tell you that much without the numbers. I am just trying to quantify what is obvious. TCS is known for large scale tanks; this one sets a record even for them. The biggest question for me is why Figarti went to 1/28; when all their previous armor was an accurate 1/30, or as accurate as you can get with polystone. I still am looking for more numbers to improve accuracy.

Till there measured correctly I think you should stop with the bold statement that there all wrong scale as I doubt the FOV Pershing 1/30 ,the figarti 1/28 scale and TCS 1/26 scale till you have the facts to be honest don't you !

I agree that photos of models are ok for judging relative model sizes however photos are not a accurate method for calculating actual scales. As for when each company switched from scale A to scale B, there was never an across the board change. For example some early King and Country models were 1/30 scale. Same with Figarti, some of their vehicles are too small for 1/30 scale. Some TCS models are larger than 1/30 scale some are not. As you seem happy to display so called 1/28 figures with 1/24 scale tanks I wonder why you are on yet another Witch hunt for inaccurate tank sizes.

Aerial photography has measured objests in photographic images accuratly since WWI. I have accurate measurements of the FOV M26 in the photo. The image in the photo is 50% the size of the FOV model; thus all the M26's in the photo are 50% of the actual size. Multiply by X2 and you have the actual size of each M26 within a reasonable accuracy of +/- 1/16 inch.

I agree some scale armor manufacturers have made the odd sized vehicle over the years; but of late there has been a trend to larger scales. The most recent example is the K&C M4A3E8 line of armor wihich is acknowledged to be 1/28 scale, by intention not accident. TCS has always made larger scale armor and has been criticized for it repeatedly. The TCS Stug III and Jagdpanther are both 1/28 scale by actual measurement. I find the trend to larger scales of interest and I am trying to discover the reason for it, out of intellectual curiosity; not the desire to hunt witches!

A 68mm high model of the average male height of 5'9" is 1/25.7 scale; which works very well with 1/25 scale Tamiya armor. I have posted many photos; from WWII and of models, showing the compatibility that is well within the range of human size variability.

Katana....... I've been collecting WWII for about 10 years now, be it K&C, Figarti, First legion, Patriot model, Honor Bound, T. Gunn, W. Britain, Forces of Valor, 21st Century,and some I probably forgot, and not once have I ever thought some company was out to fool me on scale size, or box labeling on purpose be it 1:30th, 1:28th, 1;29th, 1:32nd, indeed most every company has various size tanks/soldiers that just don't fit the box label and agree that needs to be addressed but there is no smoking gun, grassy knoll or hidden agenda as you seem to think, that being said I have never been one to count rivets/ break out tape measures/scales/slide rulers or what have you, I like my Toy soldiers and vehicles, dioramas all to match up in size as close as possible and I think I have done a ok job with that, but if it ever got to the point of becoming such a burden as it seems to be with you I'd guess I would revert back to 1:35th model world and be done with it, alas this is a toy soldier hobby that I collect for the sheer enjoyment of it and the fun that I get as it takes me back to days gone by as a young boy enjoying toy soldiers of a different time and place but it all boils down to enjoying this hobby for what it is, maybe forget the ruler for a bit and be thankful for the choices and various companies to pick from all that they have to offer...Sammy

Katana....... I've been collecting WWII for about 10 years now, be it K&C, Figarti, First legion, Patriot model, Honor Bound, T. Gunn, W. Britain, Forces of Valor, 21st Century,and some I probably forgot, and not once have I ever thought some company was out to fool me on scale size, or box labeling on purpose be it 1:30th, 1:28th, 1;29th, 1:32nd, indeed most every company has various size tanks/soldiers that just don't fit the box label and agree that needs to be addressed but there is no smoking gun, grassy knoll or hidden agenda as you seem to think, that being said I have never been one to count rivets/ break out tape measures/scales/slide rulers or what have you, I like my Toy soldiers and vehicles, dioramas all to match up in size as close as possible and I think I have done a ok job with that, but if it ever got to the point of becoming such a burden as it seems to be with you I'd guess I would revert back to 1:35th model world and be done with it, alas this is a toy soldier hobby that I collect for the sheer enjoyment of it and the fun that I get as it takes me back to days gone by as a young boy enjoying toy soldiers of a different time and place but it all boils down to enjoying this hobby for what it is, maybe forget the ruler for a bit and be thankful for the choices and various companies to pick from all that they have to offer...Sammy

Hi Sammy; I agree with most of what you say; but my curiosity gets the better of me in the trend to larger scales. I have moved back to plastic AFV models in the interest of accuracy and realism; but to 1/25 not 1/35. 1/25 is the old European standard established by Hausser and Lineol for their Tin Toy models of the 1930's. The vehicles were 1/25 and the figures were 70mm. The height of a 5'9" male in 1/25 scale. You may note in the previous photograph that figures today from TCS and K&C are approaching the old European standard. FYI the Panther A Panzer shown with the figures is the Academy 1/25 plastic scale model. I got tired of buying (60mm) figures that were 68mm and stand higher than the decks of the Panzers. I now use the excellent 68mm K&C, TCS, 1/25 scale figures with 1/25 scale AFVs.

I use my true 60mm figures with Figarti armor which has been in the past a true 1/30 scale; at least my Panther G, T34-85 and Jagdpanzer all are. I was going to purchase the Figarti M26 when I discovered that the dimensions quoted by a dealer were 1/28 scale. How did that happen? Why did that happen? Will Figarti if it continues in business now make 1/28 AFVs or is this a oneoff? Lots of questions and no answers. I like the Figarti KV-1; but what size is it? Scale is a moving target with all Toy Soldier manufacturers except First Legion.

P1010464.JPGP1010451.JPG

Top photo 1/25 scale Panther A with 70mm DP figure.

Lower photo 1/30 scale Figarti Panthe G with 60mm W. Britains Fallschirmjager.

The upper and lower photos show the correct size relationship between the figures and the Panthers.

The Panther Kommander figure that came with the Figarti Panther G is 67mm tall; way overscale for the 1/30 scale Panther G!

Hi Sammy; I agree with most of what you say; but my curiosity gets the better of me in the trend to larger scales. I have moved back to plastic AFV models in the interest of accuracy and realism; but to 1/25 not 1/35. 1/25 is the old European standard established by Hausser and Lineol for their Tin Toy models of the 1930's. The vehicles were 1/25 and the figures were 70mm. The height of a 5'9" male in 1/25 scale. You may note in the previous photograph that figures today from TCS and K&C are approaching the old European standard. FYI the Panther A Panzer shown with the figures is the Academy 1/25 plastic scale model. I got tired of buying (60mm) figures that were 68mm and stand higher than the decks of the Panzers. I now use the excellent 68mm K&C, TCS, 1/25 scale figures with 1/25 scale AFVs.

I use my true 60mm figures with Figarti armor which has been in the past a true 1/30 scale; at least my Panther G, T34-85 and Jagdpanzer all are. I was going to purchase the Figarti M26 when I discovered that the dimensions quoted by a dealer were 1/28 scale. How did that happen? Why did that happen? Will Figarti if it continues in business now make 1/28 AFVs or is this a oneoff? Lots of questions and no answers. I like the Figarti KV-1; but what size is it? Scale is a moving target with all Toy Soldier manufacturers except First Legion.
you keep digging at figarti and FL about scale and price but wonder why you never mention K&C with them being the biggest toy soldier company ?

you keep digging at figarti and FL about scale and price but wonder why you never mention K&C with them being the biggest toy soldier company ?

Neil; I own Figarti armor that I really like. I respect the quality of the First Legion armor and figures; but I consider them overpriced compared with Figarti or W.Britains. I have K&C and TCS figures which I consider very well done and I display them with either TCS 1/28 or 1/25 plastic scale models; with which they are size compatable based on WWII photos. I currently only have Figarti, TCS and Thomas Gunn polystone armor; which covers the two scales 1/30 and 1/28. I also have small collections of Dragon 1/72, Corgi 1/50, Minichamps 1/35, FOV 1/32 and 21st Century Toys 1/18. I really like armor!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back