“Commemorating & Celebrating” (1 Viewer)

You guys are taking the piss now he says as he pulls on his boots gloves overcoat to go shovel the snow!^&grin

As far as commemorating, if K&C were to do some type of special figure related to the great war, what would you all like to see K&C come up with??...Sammy

As far as commemorating, if K&C were to do some type of special figure related to the great war, what would you all like to see K&C come up with??...Sammy
I would love to see the main generals of the various warring countries done. Lots of variety in uniforms and personalities. --Al

Sammy, where do I start mate! Too many to list. But I'd love to see something that represents the endurance, suffering and hardships the footsloggers went through in some of the grimmest battles in history. So maybe a Tommy at Passchendaele, in waders and up to his neck in mud, maybe with the sheepskin jackets. A set of these with rifles and shovels would be just splendid.

Rob

Troops from all sides at the cessation of hostilities would seem the most apt. Just more than likely would not be popular but, a proper way to commemorate WWI
Mitch

Artillery was king. JJD has planes and may be going down the tank and armoured vehicle route. Perhaps a range depicting the various calibre field guns, mortars and howitzers used throughout the conflict. There's plenty of subject matter.

Artillery was king. JJD has planes and may be going down the tank and armoured vehicle route. Perhaps a range depicting the various calibre field guns, mortars and howitzers used throughout the conflict. There's plenty of subject matter.
This is a good idea. I have been begging for a French 75mm and a German 210mm. -- Al

Troops from all sides at the cessation of hostilities would seem the most apt. Just more than likely would not be popular but, a proper way to commemorate WWI
Mitch

I always enjoy ceremonials/standard bearers - doesn't matter what battle/war, that's just one of the things I enjoy collecting. For me it would be interesting to see a set of standards from each faction. I also like the idea of troops from all sides at the end of the war.

The east coast of Australia is in the grip of a heat wave at the moment so I feel your pain. It is made worse by the ineffective air conditioning at my TS shop. I would name the owner but that is not fair to Brett. {sm4}{sm4}

Never mind the heat, what about the sodding bush fires over there boys.......you Aussi's must be fair roasting over there!{sm2}

Us Kiwi's are currently getting blasted by hot winds from your fires, clouds of dirty smoke and a nice wee yellow/brown glow in the sky at sunset........all we need now is a wiff of some king prawns sizzling on Waynepoos's BBQ and a migrating mass of Aussi wildlife, franticly paddling across the Tasman to safety...{sm5}

As for commemorations of the fallen......each to there own I say. I think as collectors we commemorate daily, which I see as part of the hobbie we all enjoy.

Personally speaking, the importance of remembering anything or event that highlights the sacrifices of others past and present, can not be under stated regardless of those involved and whose side you are on.........to me the point is to remember and to not forget.

We also have a responsibility to educate the young and the uninitiated to such events in history 'lest we forget'.......I am encouraged to see the recent resurgence in our ANZAC day commemorations here in NZ and also the ever increasing pilgrimage by many to the Gallipoli battlefield each year....just to give an example.:salute::

As for being refered to as a 'bully by a member for ticking a box, thats a little disappointing and not very constructive......for my part there's no hard feelings either way.

Never mind the heat, what about the sodding bush fires over there boys.......you Aussi's must be fair roasting over there!{sm2}

Us Kiwi's are currently getting blasted by hot winds from your fires, clouds of dirty smoke and a nice wee yellow/brown glow in the sky at sunset........all we need now is a wiff of some king prawns sizzling on Waynepoos's BBQ and a migrating mass of Aussi wildlife, franticly paddling across the Tasman to safety...{sm5}

As for commemorations of the fallen......each to there own I say. I think as collectors we commemorate daily, which I see as part of the hobbie we all enjoy.

Personally speaking, the importance of remembering anything or event that highlights the sacrifices of others past and present, can not be under stated regardless of those involved and whose side you are on.........to me the point is to remember and to not forget.

We also have a responsibility to educate the young and the uninitiated to such events in history 'lest we forget'.......I am encouraged to see the recent resurgence in our ANZAC day commemorations here in NZ and also the ever increasing pilgrimage by many to the Gallipoli battlefield each year....just to give an example.:salute::

As for being refered to as a 'bully by a member for ticking a box, thats a little disappointing and not very constructive......for my part there's no hard feelings either way.
As we Aussies (note the 'E' Toddy.:rolleyes2:.) swelter and the bush burns and one of our Kiwi brothers thinks of us, Toddy has hit the nail no the head with his comments about commemorating the Great War. When and if you are ever over the ditch mate the BBQ is on me (just don't 'bully' us out of all the prawns):wink2:....
Wayne

What do we hope to see? Clearly, some personalities are in order. Andy's already done a great job with that--he's got 2 versions of the Kaiser, Joffre, and Lawrence of Arabia already (not to mention two Charlie Chaplains). He's even got a Mustafa Kemal (how cool--and rare!)
I think there's plenty of opportunity for personality pieces--even more so than with the WWII collection. Young Charles deGaulle, Von der Goltz (out or retirement, served in Belgium and then led the Germans/Turks in Mesopotamia despite his old age--also my avatar :) ), Lenin or Trotsky (if there's any interest in the Russian civil war). Ernest Hemingway... and what about Patton and Truman? Sergeant York and surrendering Germans? Ernst Junger to lead some storm-troops? A "literary" reference from All Quiet on the Western Front: Paul Baumer and his mentor, Kat.
French cavalry would be very cool. Scottish troops from 1917-18, complete with kilts (and khaki covers) would be very cool. For awhile I was interested in troops wearing gas-masks (very iconic), but that detracts from the great face sculpts we get--so they're lower on my list now.

But... ultimately... just having uniquely beautiful pieces in great poses trumps any particular personality piece. In any case, I'm confident that Andy will produce incredible variety, and I won't be able to keep up. Just hope I can get my hands on some of the best ones.

Oh... more wounded and dead, please... My 1917 trench fight diorama only has a single dead Tommy and no dead Jerries. Nothing too grisly, mind you -- that wouldn't be K&Cs style. :)

Good post Toddy and as far as the bush fires go, I am trying to send all this wet weather in my neck of the woods down to Waynepoo and the rest of the East Coast boys so it dampens there fires and stops sending all that smoke, hot wind and escaping furry friends over your way! Can't do nothing about the prawn smells from Waynepoo's barby, but if it gets too much for you, then i suggest you arm yourself with a plate and a six pack and make your way over to his place! {sm3}{sm4}

Tom

As we Aussies (note the 'E' Toddy.:rolleyes2:.) swelter and the bush burns and one of our Kiwi brothers thinks of us, Toddy has hit the nail no the head with his comments about commemorating the Great War. When and if you are ever over the ditch mate the BBQ is on me (just don't 'bully' us out of all the prawns):wink2:....
Wayne

Arrrr.......not that silent 'E' thing again, I can't quite get me tongue around it Wayne.....it must be the Kiwi in me....{eek3}:tongue:

Yeah I like the sound of sharing a bucket of prawns with you and Tom and rest of you're dodgy lot over the 'ditch' sometime mate{sm4} not to mention a nice cold one....

PS. Rob you're a true gentleman and admire you're ability to constantly find the middle ground and stand firm when required.:salute::

Mitch

This time I totally agree with you Mitch

Speaking as a proud Briton, I think 1914 was and is one of the pivotal years in British and world history… We began the war with the largest Empire the world had ever seen.. and the most powerful navy that sailed the seas (at that time).​

Mmmm, celebrating the "start" of one of the hugest massacre in history? I wouldn' t call it a " commemoration"{sm2} Commemorations are made for the end of wars, not for their starts.

Speaking as a proud Briton, I think 1914 was and is one of the pivotal years in British and world history… We began the war with the largest Empire the world had ever seen.. and the most powerful navy that sailed the seas (at that time).​

Mmmm, celebrating the "start" of one of the hugest massacre in history? I wouldn' t call it a " commemoration"{sm2} Commemorations are made for the end of wars, not for their starts.

You've taken Andy's comment out of context and left out the accompanying thought. He contrasted the pre-eminent position of the British forces in 1914 with the position they were in 1918, in near bankruptcy and untold losses in human life.

You've taken Andy's comment out of context and left out the accompanying thought. He contrasted the pre-eminent position of the British forces in 1914 with the position they were in 1918, in near bankruptcy and untold losses in human life.

So true. The country lost ' the flower of its manhood ' and came home to bankruptcy and the Spanish Flu that killed thousands.

Rob

If, as a collective that shares one common interest, we truly want to commemorate the events of 1914-1918 then I don’t think buying a few little figures really cuts it. If they’re Allied I will continue to buy them all until the proverbial cows return but at no point will I regard my purchase as a form of commemoration. That would be a little crass and I don’t think I am being controversial by saying this.

Therefore, I would be willing to put any differences that I have on here aside and take the journey over to either Belgium or France to do it properly if anything were to be organised.

The bottom line in all this is I just want to see the manufactures produce some good figures, vehicles and artillery of the Great War over the four years of 2014/18 to mark the 100 year anniversary of what was a pivotal point in history. If some don't like the idea, well each to their own. Lets see some great figures produced which up to this point have been lacking unless you collect glossy.
Wayne.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back