2018 Baseball season (3 Viewers)

To paraphrase Lenin, I think the fans are voting with their feet. I eyeballed a couple of games tonight in Baltimore and Philly and the stands are 50-75% empty.

Apparently the Giant and Dodger fans do not follow Lenin's works. They are each averaging over 40,000 fans per game.

I don’t how long this is going to last but the Mets are playing unconscious, 10-1. I’m enjoying the ride. The difference has been Callaway, the new manager.

I don’t how long this is going to last but the Mets are playing unconscious, 10-1. I’m enjoying the ride. The difference has been Callaway, the new manager.

Agree; his Father Cab would be proud of the job his son is doing, some guy I wouldn't know if I fell over him.

To paraphrase Lenin, I think the fans are voting with their feet. I eyeballed a couple of games tonight in Baltimore and Philly and the stands are 50-75% empty.

The Orioles can't draw flies; even the year they got to the ALCS, they drew a bunch of bandwagon yahoos with the tags hanging off their gear for the playoff games, that was about it. They get big crowds for the Red Sox and MFY's, the vast majority of the fans are pulling for the visitors.

The toothless goons in Philly were all glued to their TV screens tonight watching the Flyers get curb stomped by the LET'S GO PENS!!

Agree; his Father Cab would be proud of the job his son is doing, some guy I wouldn't know if I fell over him.

Aside from the fact that they’re different races, Cab’s last name is spelled Calloway. Cab employed some great jazz musicians like Diz and Milt Hinton.

Aside from the fact that they’re different races, Cab’s last name is spelled Calloway. Cab employed some great jazz musicians like Diz and Milt Hinton.

Just go along with my jokes, it's easier that way; don't fight it, I know you're over there laughing, so admit it.................;).................

Apparently the Giant and Dodger fans do not follow Lenin's works. They are each averaging over 40,000 fans per game.

I'm sure there are a lot of factors at play in attendance figures including the weather and how well a team is playing etc. But an interesting thing about the 974 people at the recent White Sox game is that the attendance was apparently reported as 10K. They apparently consider it "attendance" if you buy a ticket but don't show up. But anyone looking at the stands in these games can see many teams are in big trouble. A few juggernauts like LA, Boston and NY will get big draws but most everyone else is struggling. It's a model that isn't going to work much longer. It's an aging, mostly white male fan base. It only works now because of the tax payers who picked up the tab for many teams. Shorter seasons, games and fewer teams are some possible solutions but they won't happen until there is no other option to the owners.

I'm sure there are a lot of factors at play in attendance figures including the weather and how well a team is playing etc. But an interesting thing about the 974 people at the recent White Sox game is that the attendance was apparently reported as 10K. They apparently consider it "attendance" if you buy a ticket but don't show up. But anyone looking at the stands in these games can see many teams are in big trouble. A few juggernauts like LA, Boston and NY will get big draws but most everyone else is struggling. It's a model that isn't going to work much longer. It's an aging, mostly white male fan base. It only works now because of the tax payers who picked up the tab for many teams. Shorter seasons, games and fewer teams are some possible solutions but they won't happen until there is no other option to the owners.

Sorry, you're wrong, it's not an aging white male fan base, just look on this forum; Brad, myself, Jason, Al, Sammy, Louis,.....................um, yeah, so anyway.........ah ,ok, gee, you're right..............:wink2:

To be perfectly honest guys, the "live, in person" game just ain't what it use to be, in the last few years I've been to a few NFL, MLB, and even a professional Hockey game!! (sorry Sharks, you suck) but to me it's just not the same as my memories of days gone by at old Memorial stadium, the game back then was about the game..now what you have is a Carnival side show, with a game in the middle somewhere...being that between the Kiss Cam, the live Cam, the NEVER ending promoting of everything under the Sun, it's gone politically correct crazy where you text a member of security if you feel threatened in any way!! but the odd thing is if you are a visiting fan with team colors of the visiting team, you can bet your arse you will be taunted, screamed at and possibly get a beat down by night's end by the home town local drunks, seen it all happen. Now the best part, the cost from the get go...ticket(s) parking, souveniers, beer, drinks, food, =a shitt ton of money with a Carnival like atmosphere.....the game itself is chasing away fans for many reasons and a few listed above, fact is I'm sure I'll attend a game here or there, but for the most part, I have become pretty comfy on the couch screaming, cussing, eating at my leisure, not having to fight my way to my car,traffic..or maybe I'm just that old white guy now..."get off my Lawn"..^&grin

To be perfectly honest guys, the "live, in person" game just ain't what it use to be, in the last few years I've been to a few NFL, MLB, and even a professional Hockey game!! (sorry Sharks, you suck) but to me it's just not the same as my memories of days gone by at old Memorial stadium, the game back then was about the game..now what you have is a Carnival side show, with a game in the middle somewhere...being that between the Kiss Cam, the live Cam, the NEVER ending promoting of everything under the Sun, it's gone politically correct crazy where you text a member of security if you feel threatened in any way!! but the odd thing is if you are a visiting fan with team colors of the visiting team, you can bet your arse you will be taunted, screamed at and possibly get a beat down by night's end by the home town local drunks, seen it all happen. Now the best part, the cost from the get go...ticket(s) parking, souveniers, beer, drinks, food, =a shitt ton of money with a Carnival like atmosphere.....the game itself is chasing away fans for many reasons and a few listed above, fact is I'm sure I'll attend a game here or there, but for the most part, I have become pretty comfy on the couch screaming, cussing, eating at my leisure, not having to fight my way to my car,traffic..or maybe I'm just that old white guy now..."get off my Lawn"..^&grin

The part about baseball I really don't like is the whole concept of revenue sharing; teams like the Dodgers, Giants, Cardinals, MFY's and Red Sox have to give revenue to teams that can't draw flies, that system is idiotic.

The owners in small markets cry poor mouth and let good talent walk claiming they can't afford to sign the player; sure they can, they just don't want to spend the money. Why should they, all they have to do is sit back and cash checks given to them from the general pool.

It's nonsense and the sport is beyond boring to watch on TV, between the mound visits, the 4,000 commercials, the foul balls, the batter dancing in and out of the box, the pitcher going through 500 different gyrations between throwing a pitch, the pitching changes, it's a boring game to watch on TV, plain and simple. Live is to me still a whole other animal, Fenway doesn't resort to the yahooism other franchises do with the teeshirt cannon, the weenie races, the endless promotions, they actually just play the game...............................

All you guys do is moan and complain. I love going to the game. Nothing like it as you approach the stadium and hear the crowd noise and the anticipation builds. The only thing I hate is the traveling but a good win softens all that.

I also enjoy watching the games on TV. I love the banter between the best broadcasters in the business.

If you don’t want to go to the game, don’t, and if you don’t watch the game on TV, also don’t, but please stop your stupid moaning about it.

All you guys do is moan and complain. I love going to the game. Nothing like it as you approach the stadium and hear the crowd noise and the anticipation builds. The only thing I hate is the traveling but a good win softens all that.

I also enjoy watching the games on TV. I love the banter between the best broadcasters in the business.

If you don’t want to go to the game, don’t, and if you don’t watch the game on TV, also don’t, but please stop your stupid moaning about it.

Brad, if you love going, great, good for you, but do not tell me what I can and can not post on a forum.

Sammy, I don’t care if you post but if you don’t like the game, why watch or give a care about your team. You don’t like going to the game or so you say because your team is 3,000 miles away.

I LOVE watching baseball on television. I can sit and relax, be entertained in comfort, not be assaulted by high noise levels, drunks, or weather (good or bad). I sacrifice atmosphere for cost and convenience. No crowds or traffic. I find nothing boring about the game, though endless mound trips do annoy me. My team's announcers (both O's and Nats) are good and knowledgeable and so aren't difficult to listen to. And, no lines at the rest room. What's not to like? -- Al

"If you don’t want to go to the game, don’t, and if you don’t watch the game on TV, also don’t, but please stop your stupid moaning about it."

Says the fella whos team is 10-1; you'd be singing a different tune if they sucked.

The sport is broken, glad you think everything is hunky dory.

And I said I like going to the games, so slow your roll.

Last edited:

The weather has been terrible around here. In five home games, the Mets have averaged approximately 30,000 and the Yankees 38,000 in six home games. Not too shabby this time of year. The Nationals have averaged 25,000 in six dates and in three games against the Mets this past weekend the weather was very cold, more like football weather than baseball weather.

If I have the time I actually enjoy going to the games. I try and avoid going to weekday games because the crowds at those games tend to be corporate (which is exactly what the Giants want). It is worth noting that night games at AT&T Park get cold and foggy once the sunsets.

I prefer Saturday night games the only problem is they are pretty rare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back