2018 Baseball season (1 Viewer)

Tip of the cap to the amazing moment yesterday when White Sox pitcher Danny Farquhar threw out the first pitch in the White Sox vs. the Brewers game just a short time after he collapsed in the Chicago dugout from an anuyerism on April 20th.

It gave me chills!

How long? Less than a day.:rolleyes2: Lost 4-2 tonight. Oh well. It is evident the Tanner Roark is this year's bad luck pitcher for the Nats. Every year, on every team it seems, someone just doesn't get the same run support or breaks that the other starting pitchers get and this year it's Roark's turn. He is 2-5 after 11 starts, with 8 QS and an ERA of 3.38. The Nats have scored 2 or fewer runs in 5 of his starts and are only averaging 3.2 runs per start for him. The other SP's are a combined 23-7 on the year. Bad luck, bad timimg, whatever, it's always someone. -- Al
Nats bats have been silenced by the Braves outstanding pitching. Atlanta won game #2 4-0. Braves are a tough team and are for real. -- Al

Nats pulled out a tough 5-3 win in 14 innings against Atlanta after another pitching duel. Mad Max is having a good year throwing the ball but he is also having a good year with the bat. Used as a PH in the 14th, he singled and then scored the go ahead run when Difo tripled. Max is hitting .310 on the season. Good man to have on your side. Now to see if the Nats can salvage a split in Atlanta tomorrow. -- Al

Nats pulled out a tough 5-3 win in 14 innings against Atlanta after another pitching duel. Mad Max is having a good year throwing the ball but he is also having a good year with the bat. Used as a PH in the 14th, he singled and then scored the go ahead run when Difo tripled. Max is hitting .310 on the season. Good man to have on your side. Now to see if the Nats can salvage a split in Atlanta tomorrow. -- Al

No sure why, but I always like it when teams use a starting pitcher as a pinch hitter.

I don’t know which is worse: the Mets playing terrible offensive baseball yesterday into Sunday morning and losing 7-1 in 14 innings or me watching the whole disgusting thing :mad:

Watching the Cubs for the last three games, I really like their team and their bullpen looks really good, especially their closer Bryan Morrow. Of course, anyone looks good against this tepid offense. The Mets bullpen looked really good until they brought in some non-entity named Buddy Baumann. At that point I knew it was over.

I don’t know which is worse: the Mets playing terrible offensive baseball yesterday into Sunday morning and losing 7-1 in 14 innings or me watching the whole disgusting thing :mad:

Watching the Cubs for the last three games, I really like their team and their bullpen looks really good, especially their closer Bryan Morrow. Of course, anyone looks good against this tepid offense. The Mets bullpen looked really good until they brought in some non-entity named Buddy Baumann. At that point I knew it was over.
I watched parts of that game. Terrifically pitched. Too bad the Mets ran out of pitchers but that is a problem in today's game with all the specialty bullpen pitchers. One inning seems about the limit for most relief pitchers, leaving a team short in the bullpen if a game goes more than 11 or 12 innings. The Cubs got 5 good innings from one guy last night, giving them more options than the Mets. The Nats also went 14 innings and if the game had gone 15, we would have run into the same problem the Mets did, having only so-so pitching options left. Long relief seems to be a mostly lost art in today's bullpen/game. On the upside, Brad, deGrom was lights out. He has been all season. He's got 8 QS in 12 games, a 4-0 record with a 1.49 ERA. With any luck/run support he should have had 9 wins by now. He has gone 7 innings in each of his last 4 starts, allowing only 3 runs total (one in each of 3 games, 0 in the other), and has only 1 win with 3 ND's to show for it. He is having a Cy Young type year but it is being torpedoed by lack of run support. He is flat-out, one of the best pitchers going today. -- Al

Last edited:
Nothing is going right for the Metropolitans. Defensive lapses have led to two runs, plus on the other side of the ledger they only have 2 hits.

To their credit, the Cubs are playing a lot of small ball, stealing bases, stealing home, etc.

Nats couldn't pull off the split. Braves won with a walk-off HR. This one goes against the manager Martinez. Some odd choices in his use of the relief pitchers. Nats lead 2-1 after 6 and were lined up to use their 3 relief aces, Kintzler, Madson, and Doolittle. For some reason Martinez used 'Gopherball' Kelley in the 7th, who promptly lived up to his nickname...score tied. Then in the bottom of the 9th, with Madson and Doolittle still available, Martinez brought in SP Roark on 2 days rest (having started and lost the first game of the series on Thursday), and he promptly gave up a double and the walk-off Hr. Martinez screwed this one up, bad. -- Al

The AAAstros have a rotation like the 1990's Braves.

Sadly, they have a bullpen like the 1990's Braves as well, which was a tire fire tonight, giving up two runs to the MFY's in the bottom of the ninth to tie it, then one in the bottom of the tenth to hand them the win.

It warms the cockles of my heart the way the MFY's pull games out of their collective ***** time after time in the bottom of the ninth.

We are just saving ourselves the first 6 or 7 innings ,so we are fresh when we need to crush the other teams' spirit...{sm4}

We are just saving ourselves the first 6 or 7 innings ,so we are fresh when we need to crush the other teams' spirit...{sm4}

Glad to see you back posting Michael, haven't seen you at a show in awhile, hope you are well................

Another Monday and I awake to see that the O's have the fewest wins in MLB, 17 and they have the most losses in MLB, 41, making them...THE WORST TEAM IN MLB! I'm so proud...:rolleyes2: -- Al

Good to see Jake Arrieta taking some responsibility for the Phillies loss to the Giants yesterday, oh wait, he was the only one who wasn't at fault.

Good to see Jake Arrieta taking some responsibility for the Phillies loss to the Giants yesterday, oh wait, he was the only one who wasn't at fault.
I read his post-game statements. He was not happy with the whole weekend and the way the team is playing, especially the defensive shifts that management is calling. -- Al

The ED Loser Bowl starts tomorrow: Orioles vs Mets.

How low can you go!

I read his post-game statements. He was not happy with the whole weekend and the way the team is playing, especially the defensive shifts that management is calling. -- Al

Al:

I watched the game yesterday. Granted the whole team is playing poorly but he simply grooved a pitch to McCutchen that ended up being a three run HR. Funny how he didnt mention that in his tirade.

-Jason

Al:

I watched the game yesterday. Granted the whole team is playing poorly but he simply grooved a pitch to McCutchen that ended up being a three run HR. Funny how he didnt mention that in his tirade.

-Jason
Yep. All the defensive shifting in the world becomes null and void when the ball goes over the fence. I'm sure Arrieta was victimized by the juiced ball.:rolleyes2: -- Al

Fun with numbers: Mad Max won his 10th game tonight for the Nats and had an immaculate inning (9 pitches, 9 strikes, 3 K's). He is now 10-1 on the season. Cobb won his 2nd games for the O's tonight. That means the top 4 starters for the O's have now reached a total of 10 wins on the season. Those 4 pitchers are a combined 10-26. The O's Gausman also had an immaculate inning earlier this season. The Nats and O's are thus proud owners of the only 2 immaculate innings in MLB this year. -- Al

Fun with numbers: Mad Max won his 10th game tonight for the Nats and had an immaculate inning (9 pitches, 9 strikes, 3 K's). He is now 10-1 on the season. Cobb won his 2nd games for the O's tonight. That means the top 4 starters for the O's have now reached a total of 10 wins on the season. Those 4 pitchers are a combined 10-26. The O's Gausman also had an immaculate inning earlier this season. The Nats and O's are thus proud owners of the only 2 immaculate innings in MLB this year. -- Al

Al:

I love that stat, I had never heard of it until this year.

On the left coast Bumgarner is making his 2018 debut. For now his return is enough but a win would be nice too.

-Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back