2019 Baseball season (3 Viewers)

The United States Patent and Trademark Office has rejected Tom Brady’s attempt to trademark the term “Tom Terrific.” The USPTO ruled that the applied-for mark consists of or includes matter which may falsely suggest a connection with Tom Seaver. Although Tom Seaver is not connected with the goods provided by applicant under the applied-for mark, Tom Seaver is so well-known that consumers would presume a connection.

Under the Trademark Act the registration of a mark that “consists of or comprises matter that may falsely suggest a connection with persons, institutions, beliefs, or national symbols” is prohibited. In re Pedersen, 109 USPQ2d 1185, 1188 (TTAB 2013).

Full decision: http://tsdr.uspto.gov/documentviewer?caseId=sn88446266&docId=OOA20190822095048#docIndex=0&page=1

Oh thank God; our long national nightmare is over...………………….this whole thing was beyond idiotic from jump; when I hear "Tom Terrific", Tom Seaver is, was and always will be associated with that nickname.

And I'll go to my grave thinking had he not gotten injured in 1986 and was able to pitch in the World Series instead of that tomato can Al Nipper, the Red Sox win that series in five games. I knew in my pre 2004 Red Sox fandom days when they went up 2-0, then lost the next two at home they weren't winning that series.

One of the all time greatest chokes in the history of Boston sports, right up there with the Patriots losing the Super Bowl to Opie and the Giants in 2008, the Red Sox blowing a 14 game lead to the gashouse gorillas in 1978, the Celtics blowing the finals vs the Lakers after being up 3-2 back in 2012 and the Bruins laying an egg in game 7 at home vs the St. Louis Goons...……………..

I thought the Yankees black unis looked pretty good but they probably spent $58 million for Armani to design them. Not a great start to the series for the Dodgers. They got spanked but today is a new day. Larry King just divorced his 7th wife. So maybe he will bring them good luck.

Oh thank God; our long national nightmare is over...………………….this whole thing was beyond idiotic from jump; when I hear "Tom Terrific", Tom Seaver is, was and always will be associated with that nickname.

And I'll go to my grave thinking had he not gotten injured in 1986 and was able to pitch in the World Series instead of that tomato can Al Nipper, the Red Sox win that series in five games. I knew in my pre 2004 Red Sox fandom days when they went up 2-0, then lost the next two at home they weren't winning that series.

One of the all time greatest chokes in the history of Boston sports, right up there with the Patriots losing the Super Bowl to Opie and the Giants in 2008, the Red Sox blowing a 14 game lead to the gashouse gorillas in 1978, the Celtics blowing the finals vs the Lakers after being up 3-2 back in 2012 and the Bruins laying an egg in game 7 at home vs the St. Louis Goons...……………..

All true; the sport gods were not kind to Boston but maybe they wanted to exact some more suffering before Boston met Nirvana (as I mix my religious here).

All true; the sport gods were not kind to Boston but maybe they wanted to exact some more suffering before Boston met Nirvana (as I mix my religious here).

Yeah, I love the national view towards Boston, that we're a bunch of spoiled, entitled fans.

Maybe the pink hats who came along in 2001 are, but I've been following Boston sports all my life.

Too young to remember the Celtics of the 1960's, aside from that gag job vs the Lakers in 2012, they won titles twice in the 1970's and three times in the 1980's, the Red Sox and their 86 year old drought including the nut punches of 1967, 1972, 1974, 1975, 1978, 1986 and 2003...………………..the Bruins won two cups in 1970 and 1972, but they had a horrendous playoff losses in 1971, 1974, 1976-1978, 1988 and 1990, they finally won another cup in 2011...……….the Patriots; a complete and utter laughing stock for the most part from 1960 through 1975, the all time robbery in 1976 vs the Raiders, the Super Bowl losses in 1986 and 1997, then they finally won one in 2001, they've been on fire ever since.

So prior to 2001, things were not all wine and canoes around here, 7 championships between the Celtics and the Bruins; don't get me wrong, some fans would kill for that, but you get the idea...…………………..

good pitching match Tuesday night as Tampa Bay comes to Houston...
Verlander vs Cole...
guessing there will be a lot of strikeouts...
glad Houston is getting a day off Monday to rest up a little after 18 games in 19 days...

good pitching match Tuesday night as Tampa Bay comes to Houston...
Verlander vs Cole...
guessing there will be a lot of strikeouts...
glad Houston is getting a day off Monday to rest up a little after 18 games in 19 days...

Interesting discussion during the otherwise snooze fest of a game yesterday between the Dodgers and Yanks about the difference between the regular season and playoffs. Basically that deeper teams perform relatively better during the regular season because there are so few off days. But that advantage doesn't always hold up in the playoffs because there are more off days. So having a deeper team doesn't mean as much in the playoffs because you can't wear down the opponent.

Interesting discussion during the otherwise snooze fest of a game yesterday between the Dodgers and Yanks about the difference between the regular season and playoffs. Basically that deeper teams perform relatively better during the regular season because there are so few off days. But that advantage doesn't always hold up in the playoffs because there are more off days. So having a deeper team doesn't mean as much in the playoffs because you can't wear down the opponent.

that's logical...it does make sense...

in the AL...
especially Houston and NY...

I think home field is gonna prove the key in the playoffs...
they have great home records...
not near as strong on the road...

Nats had a great weekend, sweeping the Cubs in Chicago. The Nats are now 15-4 over their last 19 games but have managed to gain only 1 game on Atlanta because the Braves have gone 14-5 over the same stretch. That slow start by the Nats is proving to be a killer as the Braves simply keep winning and the chances for making up the 6 game gap is pretty slim with only 32 games left. Nats are now a season best 16 games over .500, despite their bullpen. I'm guessing the NL East title, as far as the Nats are concerned, will be decided in the 7 games they have left with Atlanta, assuming they don't crash and burn somewhere along the line against the Mets or Phillies with whom they still have 8 games. -- Al

that's logical...it does make sense...

in the AL...
especially Houston and NY...

I think home field is gonna prove the key in the playoffs...
they have great home records...
not near as strong on the road...

I wasn't all that impressed by my Dodgers this weekend. They dropped two to the Yanks at home and only scored 5 runs in three games. The Yankees didn't exactly look like world beaters. One or both teams might go down in the playoffs. The Yankees are supposedly getting several injured players back at the end of the season but that comes with the risk that they are rusty. The Dodgers have really beat up on the weaker teams this season. Curious to see if they can raise it a level in the playoffs, but no sign this weekend. Maybe the uniforms had something to with it. It felt more like some guys playing in a weekend softball league. Not much intensity when you consider it was the two top teams in the league with a great rivalry.

Nats had a great weekend, sweeping the Cubs in Chicago. The Nats are now 15-4 over their last 19 games but have managed to gain only 1 game on Atlanta because the Braves have gone 14-5 over the same stretch. That slow start by the Nats is proving to be a killer as the Braves simply keep winning and the chances for making up the 6 game gap is pretty slim with only 32 games left. Nats are now a season best 16 games over .500, despite their bullpen. I'm guessing the NL East title, as far as the Nats are concerned, will be decided in the 7 games they have left with Atlanta, assuming they don't crash and burn somewhere along the line against the Mets or Phillies with whom they still have 8 games. -- Al

Should be a fight to the finish. The Braves have played well of late and the bullpen has shown marked improvement. How long either of those last is TBD.

I don’t think they’ll catch the Dodgers for best record if they win the Division. Which would mean Cardinals or Cubs in the first round, with the Wc winner playing the Dodgers. Given the Braves lack of success vs the Cards, historically, I’d almost prefer LAD.

Even if the Braves do not win it all this year they are poised t win it soon. In my opinion they are loaded with young talent. It is only a matter of time before they put it all together.

In the meantime, they are a fun team to watch who play an entertaining brand of baseball.

There is no worry about the Braves crashing against the Mets. Since the 90s (except for one or two seasons), they have been the Mets’ daddy. The Mets play the Braves in the last series of the season. If they need to win that series to make the playoffs, see you next year.

There is no worry about the Braves crashing against the Mets. Since the 90s (except for one or two seasons), they have been the Mets’ daddy. The Mets play the Braves in the last series of the season. If they need to win that series to make the playoffs, see you next year.

Karma still playing out for ‘69? Lol

Karma still playing out for ‘69? Lol

Maybe. At any rate, I'd be shocked if the Braves aren't playing the Dodgers for the right to go to the WS. Looks like they may have found a closer for the stretch run.

Maybe. At any rate, I'd be shocked if the Braves aren't playing the Dodgers for the right to go to the WS. Looks like they may have found a closer for the stretch run.

Atlanta fans have been shocked plenty of times by last minute collapses, in multiple sports. We take zero for granted. That great pitching staff of the 90s won exactly one World Series, and that was a shortened season.

Even if the Braves do not win it all this year they are poised t win it soon. In my opinion they are loaded with young talent. It is only a matter of time before they put it all together.

In the meantime, they are a fun team to watch who play an entertaining brand of baseball.

A winning season is definitely more fun than the other kind! The Braves supposedly have one of the leagues best farm systems. But Atlanta has never hosted a true dynasty. I dont think wed have the slightest idea of what to do if one of our near do well teams actually got on top and stayed there for any length of time!

You don't haven to worry about the Phillies with their pitching.{eek3}
Mark

the home base ump got Verlander tonight...

after 5.1 innings...
he gave up a double...
said something to the ump about the previous pitch...I think...not sure...
got thrown out immediately with 87 pitches and a 9-0 lead...

doesn't he get the win if he completes 5 innings?

Morton got shelled and left in the 4th...
the big pitching duel was not to be...

the home base ump got Verlander tonight...

after 5.1 innings...
he gave up a double...
said something to the ump about the previous pitch...I think...not sure...
got thrown out immediately with 87 pitches and a 9-0 lead...

doesn't he get the win if he completes 5 innings?

Morton got shelled and left in the 4th...
the big pitching duel was not to be...
Mike, the SP (Verlander, in this case), does indeed get the win if he completes 5 innings and leaves with the lead. -- Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back