2019 Baseball season (4 Viewers)

Getting hot at the right time is probably more important than records going into the playoffs. The Astros, Nats, and Braves seem to be doing that. Wouldn't want to play any of those teams. My Dodgers are playing well at home and feasting on weaker teams. But one home loss might sink them in the playoffs. They have looked like the best team in MLB baseballs most of this season but are also prone to some funks.

if 2 teams have identical records at the end of regular season...
lets say the Yankees and Astros end up with the same record...
what is the tie breaker rule on who gets the #1 seed in the playoffs?
I believe they have a playoff game for the #1 seed...
but where is that playoff game played?
how it the location of the playoff game decided?

I think you want to be playing well in the last week or two but as some of these teams have nothing to play for except home field, it’s hard to draw any conclusions. For example, the 2000 Yankees limped through the last couple of weeks of the regular season but had no effect on them once the post season started.

if 2 teams have identical records at the end of regular season...
lets say the Yankees and Astros end up with the same record...
what is the tie breaker rule on who gets the #1 seed in the playoffs?
I believe they have a playoff game for the #1 seed...
but where is that playoff game played?
how it the location of the playoff game decided?

I don’t think there would be a playoff game; that would apply if there were two teams tied in the same division at the end the season. In this case, seeding would probably be determined on head to head records first. I haven’t checked the rules so I could be wrong.

I don’t think there would be a playoff game; that would apply if there were two teams tied in the same division at the end the season. In this case, seeding would probably be determined on head to head records first. I haven’t checked the rules so I could be wrong.

Brad...

thank you...

yes...
now that I think about it...
there would be no reason for them to have a 1 series playoff game...

meaning to ask...
what the criteria would there be for selecting the #1 seed...
if 2 teams had identical records in the AL at the end of regular season...

and like you...I would guess their head to head record...as in most sports...
but was seeking confirmation by asking...

Brad...

thank you...

yes...
now that I think about it...
there would be no reason for them to have a 1 series playoff game...

meaning to ask...
what the criteria would there be for selecting the #1 seed...
if 2 teams had identical records in the AL at the end of regular season...

and like you...I would guess their head to head record...as in most sports...
but was seeking confirmation by asking...

This is what it says on Wikipedia:

If two champions from separate divisions have the same record, the tiebreaking procedure listed are used to determine postseason seeding. No additional games are played.

The team with the better head-to-head winning percentage during the regular season.
The team with the best overall record in intradivision games.*
The team with the best overall record in intraleague games.
The team with the best record in the final 81 games of the season, ignoring interleague play.
The team with the best record in the final 82 games of the season (provided the game added is not between the tied teams), extending backward until the tie is broken (Interleague games are skipped and ignored in this process.)

Doug...
thank you...
that's about the same format as used in the NFL...
I looked for it on the Internet...
but couldn't find the answer I was looking for...
thanks for posting this...

Doug...
thank you...
that's about the same format as used in the NFL...
I looked for it on the Internet...
but couldn't find the answer I was looking for...
thanks for posting this...

It seems a bit weird to me that after head to head they use best "intradivision" records when the two teams are from different divisions. That would seemingly give a team with a weaker division the advantage. I would think that intraleague would be the second tie breaker instead of third. But it probably almost never comes to that. I also think home field is a bit overrated in MLB playoffs.

On the local O's sports show today, it was revealed that the O's are using an 'Opener' for the game on Saturday because SP Cobb is on the injured list to start the season. I'm optimistic that the O's might improve by up to 20 games this season. That's a lot but I think they can do it, even in full rebuild mode. -- Al
OK, so I might have been a little optimistic on the 20 game improvement. The O's just won their 46th game this afternoon, only one short of last year's total. With 24 games to go, a 10 game improvement is not beyond their reach but if not, they will surly pass last year so improvement is coming, if somewhat slowly. Keep at 'em, O's! -- Al

Good lord. I can't take any more of this. Best win of the year for the Nats. Had to have game and the Nats were DOA, going into the bottom of the 9th, down 10-4 to the Mets. So they go and score 7 runs, the last 3 and the winning runs on Kurt Suzuki's 3-run walk-off Hr. Gotta go find my BP medicine... -- Al

Tonight’s loss is a perfect example of why you do not look ahead to tomorrow but win the game in front of you. The manager — who should be fuc*ing fired — takes out their best reliever to save him for tomorrow instead of worrying about today. Time to hit the bottle or smash something :mad:

Yesterday's loss was the worst loss in Mets history when leading by six runs or more in the 9th inning. It's not that easy to surrender a 6 run lead in the 9th inning but this game is emblematic of the Mets 2019 bullpen. But for this pen, they might be challenging the Braves for the division lead. Oddly enough, Trea Turner's not realizing how many outs there were in the 9th -- when he could started an inning ending double play -- paved the way for runs that seemingly put the game out of reach. Had they not scored those extra runs, Seth Lugo would in all likelihood stayed in the game and closed out the 9th.

Yesterday's loss was the worst loss in Mets history when leading by six runs or more in the 9th inning. It's not that easy to surrender a 6 run lead in the 9th inning but this game is emblematic of the Mets 2019 bullpen. But for this pen, they might be challenging the Braves for the division lead. Oddly enough, Trea Turner's not realizing how many outs there were in the 9th -- when he could started an inning ending double play -- paved the way for runs that seemingly put the game out of reach. Had they not scored those extra runs, Seth Lugo would in all likelihood stayed in the game and closed out the 9th.
It was the largest 9th inning comeback in Nats history, as well. When trailing by 6+ runs in the 9th, the Nats were 0-63 in their history. It was an unbelievable game and I have no idea why I was still watching. This game just highlights the bullpens in baseball, obviously these 2 teams in particular. The Nats bullpen has blown 26 saves this season, while the Mets have blown 25 and this game just throws a spotlight on how bad these 2 bullpens have been. Like I have said before, if the Nats go into the late innings with anything less than a 4 run lead, I start to sweat. They simply can't hold leads and this makes every game an unnecessary adventure in terror. :rolleyes2: -- Al

I read the recap of that game and looked at the box score...that was an amazing melt down and almost unbelievable...the perfect storm...I'm sure a lot of people left the stadium and were surprised at the final score...

I read the recap of that game and looked at the box score...that was an amazing melt down and almost unbelievable...the perfect storm...I'm sure a lot of people left the stadium and were surprised at the final score...
Mike, that is so true. Many fans were long gone by the bottom of the 9th, and the social media is full of fans stating that they had turned the tv's off before the big comeback. I'm not sure why I was still watching but I'm glad I did. But, once again, the Nats bullpen (and a mental lapse by the SS), made the comeback necessary. Shoulda, woulda, coulda...that bullpen is going to kill the Nats when it matters most. -- Al

A thought on huge mega-contracts, expectations, and Bryce Harper...Harper is hitting .256, with 30 Hrs and 100 RBI's...In Philly, he is being criticized as a disappointment...if he had stayed in DC, he would still be a city-wide hero with those numbers. Go figure. I wonder what Harper would have had to do for Philly in order to NOT be a disappointment? -- Al

A thought on huge mega-contracts, expectations, and Bryce Harper...Harper is hitting .256, with 30 Hrs and 100 RBI's...In Philly, he is being criticized as a disappointment...if he had stayed in DC, he would still be a city-wide hero with those numbers. Go figure. I wonder what Harper would have had to do for Philly in order to NOT be a disappointment? -- Al

It is funny how Machado's numbers are similar (.264, with 28 Hrs and 76 RBI's) yet many in San Diego remain convinced it was a great signing and a huge coup just to have him on the team.

The Mets game is on YouTube today. These announcers are awful. No feel for the flow of the game.

Mets are up 7-1 in the 6th. Nats are saying “yup, we got ‘em.”

The Mets game is on YouTube today. These announcers are awful. No feel for the flow of the game.
Ha! I killed the sound about 5 minutes into the game and listen to whatever is on the MLB channel while the game plays out. -- Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back