2019 Baseball season (4 Viewers)

Nats got their WC magic number down to 2 with a win over the Phils in the first game of a day-night doubleheader today. Squared their September record at 11-11 and officially eliminated the Phils. Contrary to past performances, the Nats got 5 perfect innings out of the bullpen. Five pitchers, each going 1 inning, they allowed 0 (zero) baserunners. Hope that the bullpen has a few more of those up their sleeve. :wink2: -- Al

Nats got their WC magic number down to 2 with a win over the Phils in the first game of a day-night doubleheader today. Squared their September record at 11-11 and officially eliminated the Phils. Contrary to past performances, the Nats got 5 perfect innings out of the bullpen. Five pitchers, each going 1 inning, they allowed 0 (zero) baserunners. Hope that the bullpen has a few more of those up their sleeve. :wink2: -- Al
Nats took game #2 and have now clinched a WC spot. Now it's a matter of HFA for the one and done game. Brewers in the driver's seat for WC spot #2 even though the Cubs and Mets are technically still alive. Cubs are 5 games back with 5 to go. Boy, the Cubs sure collapsed, losing the last 7 in a row. Mets need to win tonight to stay 5 back, lose and they are done. -- Al

Nats took game #2 and have now clinched a WC spot. Now it's a matter of HFA for the one and done game. Brewers in the driver's seat for WC spot #2 even though the Cubs and Mets are technically still alive. Cubs are 5 games back with 5 to go. Boy, the Cubs sure collapsed, losing the last 7 in a row. Mets need to win tonight to stay 5 back, lose and they are done. -- Al

Al...just a little gravy with the second game win!

Oakland has lost their last 2 games...
if the A's lose another game...
the AL Wild Card is gonna get seriously interesting...

right now Cleveland is 1 game out and TB is only 1/2 game out...
I had Oakland as my dark horse...
they have held their own against the Yankees and Astros...
now...they might not even make the playoffs...

Al:

Congrats on the win and wild-card birth.

I have to say when they were 12 games under .500 I had my doubts.

-Jason

Al:

Congrats on the win and wild-card birth.

I have to say when they were 12 games under .500 I had my doubts.

-Jason
The rest of Nats Nation, including me, had more than doubts. We were calling for everyone's heads and then some. If nothing else, I have to give Manager Martinez, GM Rizzo, and ownership for not panicking, which would have been easy to do. Now to see if the boys can throw their playoff bugaboo off like they did their slow start. -- Al

Al...congrats...
that's quite a turnaround...
off to a horrible start...
you guys went 19-31 over its first 50 games...
and had the third-worst record in the National League as of May 24...

Greinke...
almost got one last night...
he threw 108 pitches...in 8.1 innings of a no hitter...
before he gave up 2 singles in the 9th and went to the bench...
by far his best game as an Astro...
Harris came in as relief and got out the next 2 for a shutout...
the Astros need 1 more win to lock up the #1 seed in the AL...

Al...congrats...
that's quite a turnaround...
off to a horrible start...
you guys went 19-31 over its first 50 games...
and had the third-worst record in the National League as of May 24...
Thanks, Mike. Nats have played well through June, July, and August before their hiccup this month. At any rate, after their horrible start, they have gone 70-38. They are only the 9th team in MLB history to come from 12 games under .500 to make the playoffs. Just have to see if they can keep it going and actually make it out of the first round this year.:rolleyes2: I am not expecting too deep a run because of our disgraceful bullpen, but I can hope. -- Al

I just checked the MLB payroll list. As mentioned before I give the A's props for being competitive with such a low payroll.

However, the Rays are even more amazing. They are dead last in payroll (not even the Marlins spend less) yet they could very easily be in the Wildcard game.

with clinching home field throughout the playoffs at stake...
I can't understand why A J Hinch decided to rest half the team last night...
last night's line-up was almost unrecognizable...
having Miley start...who has been shaky at best...
I would think he wanted as much offense as he could muster to get the win...
then you rest people in meaningless games if you want...
with only 4 games left...last night's game was an important game...

Correa was on IR...
but in the starting roster...
he rested Altuve...Springer...Alvarez...and Guriel...
that's a lot of offense on the bench watching...

they lost 4-3 in extra innings...
they still need to win one more game to clinch home field...
hope this doesn't come back to bite him on the butt...

In my opinion, home field is not as important in baseball as other sports. I even think it’s lost some of its importance in football. In the playoffs every team has a good road record. Otherwise, you’re probably not making it to the playoffs. I think in their playoff losses the Nats have had home field every time; Al can correct me if I’m wrong.

Brad...

that may be true...
but not sure I agree...

if you look at the Astros and NYY's...
their home records are 60-21 and 57-24 respectively...
outstanding by both clubs...
a huge advantage when they play at home...

their road records are 44-34...45-33...
while okay...
not that big of an advantage...

baseball is a game of stats...
stats say both teams play much better at home...
I think the home field advantage is HUGE if these 2 teams meet...

Based on experience and history, it’s not as significant as it appears to be.

well...it is commonly recognized as an advantage in almost all sports from boxing to basketball..
Las Vegas bookmakers base their odds on it...
in football and basketball for example...
the home team is generally awarded 3 1/2 points just for playing at home...
to me it's a bonus...
we're all familiar with the concept of crowd noise...fan support...climate...traveling...just to name a few...
and the stats do seem to clearly bear it out in this case...

in the 2017 playoffs where the Astros won the world Series...
they beat the NYY's 4-3...
the home team won every game...
it seems substantial to me...

In baseball it’s not and what bookies think doesn’t mean much. Baseball is not football or basketball (where home court is important). It’s not unimportant to have an extra game at home — who doesn’t like that. However, it’s not determinative at this level. Are you saying that the Yankees can’t beat the Astros if they don’t have that extra home game. Sorry, I don’t buy that. Similarly, if the Yankees had home field, I wouldn’t agree that the Astros couldn’t prevail.

In baseball it’s not and what bookies think doesn’t mean much. Baseball is not football or basketball (where home court is important). It’s not unimportant to have an extra game at home — who doesn’t like that. However, it’s not determinative at this level. Are you saying that the Yankees can’t beat the Astros if they don’t have that extra home game. Sorry, I don’t buy that. Similarly, if the Yankees had home field, I wouldn’t agree that the Astros couldn’t prevail.

I'm saying...

in the 2017 playoffs where the Astros won the world Series...
in a 7 game series...
they beat the NYY's 4-3...
the home team won every game...
both teams are great at home...
not so much on the road...
it seems substantial to me...

I respect your opinion Brad...
but I disagree...
home field is huge to me if they meet each other...

the Astros and NNY's have played 7 times this year...
the Astros have won 4 of those...

home team has won 6 of the 7 meetings...

Last edited:
In my opinion, home field is not as important in baseball as other sports. I even think it’s lost some of its importance in football. In the playoffs every team has a good road record. Otherwise, you’re probably not making it to the playoffs. I think in their playoff losses the Nats have had home field every time; Al can correct me if I’m wrong.
You are correct, sir. Painfully so, for the Nats.:rolleyes2: -- Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back