2019 Baseball season (6 Viewers)

Nats choke job proceeds apace as they are now 5-9 in September and what was once a 4 game lead in the WC is now down to 1/2 game over the Cubs and 1 game over the Brewers. If they blow this, Martinez will be history and Rizzo will have to do some fast talking to save his job. The epitaph will read "Nats 2019 season killed by the bullpen." -- Al

Back in August, the O's picked up 28 year old LHP TY Blach off waivers from SF. I thought this might be a good pick-up for the O's. Wrong. That experiment has ended as Blach has been DFA'ed. How bad do you have to be to get DFA'ed from a team with 49 wins and expanded rosters in September? Blach got 5 starts with the O's, went 1-3, giving up 32 hits in 20.2 innings (including 6 Hrs) and had a horrendous 11.32 ERA. That's how bad. -- Al

Nats choke job proceeds apace as they are now 5-9 in September and what was once a 4 game lead in the WC is now down to 1/2 game over the Cubs and 1 game over the Brewers. If they blow this, Martinez will be history and Rizzo will have to do some fast talking to save his job. The epitaph will read "Nats 2019 season killed by the bullpen." -- Al

Don't blame Martinez; he can only use the players he was given. Sounds like the Nats are in trouble. In that last series against the Mets, I was surprised by how poorly they looked. Except for the Braves, the NL East is looking like a big bust.

Don't blame Martinez; he can only use the players he was given. Sounds like the Nats are in trouble. In that last series against the Mets, I was surprised by how poorly they looked. Except for the Braves, the NL East is looking like a big bust.
Unlike many in DC, I am past blaming Martinez. As you say, he can only play the cards he's dealt and his bullpen is a hand full of Jokers. Martinez still makes mistakes on a regular basis, and he is not good with the pitchers, but he doesn't swing the bat or throw gopher balls. None the less, as is the way of baseball, the manager and GM pay the price when things go bad and if the Nats fail to make the post-season, especially after entering September with a 4 game WC lead, and after the disappointment of the 2018 team, someone's heads are going to roll. -- Al

Bochy is 2 wins from 2,000. I doubt he will get there against Boston but still, it would be great to achieve that mark at a historic venue like Fenway.

Bochy is 2 wins from 2,000. I doubt he will get there against Boston but still, it would be great to achieve that mark at a historic venue like Fenway.

He’s in 11th place and with 11 more wins would pass Leo, which probably isn’t going to happen. Everybody with 2,000 or more wins is in the Hall so he will be there soon. Maybe he’d like to manage the Mets.

Twenty-four pitchers were used in the Red Sox game last night. Twenty four. What fun that must have been for the fans. They must have played all night. And the playoffs haven't even started.

Twenty-four pitchers were used in the Red Sox game last night. Twenty four. What fun that must have been for the fans. They must have played all night. And the playoffs haven't even started.

It’s September call up time. Pretty typical, especially with two teams out of the race, not to mention the game was 15 innings long. You won’t see this happening in the playoffs since each team carries between 11-13 pitchers.

It’s September call up time. Pretty typical, especially with two teams out of the race, not to mention the game was 15 innings long. You won’t see this happening in the playoffs since each team carries between 11-13 pitchers.

Not sure how typical it is since it tied a MLB record but the endless pitching changes are ridiculous. There needs to be a rule change.

For a September game with two teams with nothing to play for, it’s the norm to see a lot of players. Next year, the rules will change on call-ups so you won’t see these many players in a game.

I had work late last night so I recorded the game, mostly to see Mike Yastrzemski play at Fenway. I was very careful when I left the office not to tune into KNBR (the Giants flagship station), nor did I listen to any news radio as I did not want to hear the final score.

When I got home it was relatively late so I began to fast forward through the recording only to reach the end, except the game was still being played!

The scary thing is that the Red Sox almost tied it up again in the bottom of the 15th. If that had happened even I would have turned the game off and gone to bed.

I had work late last night so I recorded the game, mostly to see Mike Yastrzemski play at Fenway. I was very careful when I left the office not to tune into KNBR (the Giants flagship station), nor did I listen to any news radio as I did not want to hear the final score.

When I got home it was relatively late so I began to fast forward through the recording only to reach the end, except the game was still being played!

The scary thing is that the Red Sox almost tied it up again in the bottom of the 15th. If that had happened even I would have turned the game off and gone to bed.

My Yaz story: when I was in law school in Springfield (in Western Mass) in the late 70s, a bunch of us took the bus to Fenway (a 90 minute drive each way) to hopefully see him hit his 40th HR against the Yankees. He didn't but one guy who was a huge Yaz fan kept going back to Fenway night after night to see him do it. Unfortunately, Yaz didn't oblige. He eventually gave up. Two days after he stopped going, Yaz hit his 400th.

My Yaz story: when I was in law school in Springfield (in Western Mass) in the late 70s, a bunch of us took the bus to Fenway (a 90 minute drive each way) to hopefully see him hit his 40th HR against the Yankees. He didn't but one guy who was a huge Yaz fan kept going back to Fenway night after night to see him do it. Unfortunately, Yaz didn't oblige. He eventually gave up. Two days after he stopped going, Yaz hit his 400th.

Brad:

Great story!!!!!!!!!

There is just something about baseball, numbers and milestones. From 40 HR's to no-hitters they are the stories within the game that make us do things like your buddy did. Too bad he didn't get the chance to see it through.

-Jason

Yeah, it's been interesting to see this group of baseball legacies coming up through the minors. I saw Mike Yastrzemski playing for Bowie against Reading, and Norfolk against Lehigh Valley. Saw Vladimir Guerrero, Jr, when he was at Double-A, as well as Cavan Biggio and Bo Bichette. It's cool to see those guys coming up, and succeeding.

On the other hand, there was Pete Rose, Jr. I saw him in one of his last seasons, in Double-A, and he never really made it. Ryan Luzinski, too-he never got close.

Prost!
Brad

Yeah, it's been interesting to see this group of baseball legacies coming up through the minors. I saw Mike Yastrzemski playing for Bowie against Reading, and Norfolk against Lehigh Valley. Saw Vladimir Guerrero, Jr, when he was at Double-A, as well as Cavan Biggio and Bo Bichette. It's cool to see those guys coming up, and succeeding.

On the other hand, there was Pete Rose, Jr. I saw him in one of his last seasons, in Double-A, and he never really made it. Ryan Luzinski, too-he never got close.

Prost!
Brad
I remember keeping up with Pete Rose, Jr. on his journey through the minors. He made it to the majors in 1997, for 11 games with the Reds. Although he kept playing in the minors until 2009 to the age of 39, he never made it back to the majors. Just the one stint in '97. Took him a long time to get the message. He must have really loved the game. -- Al

There doesn't seem to be very many pitching legacies, mostly position players.

The only one I can think of that is Dereck Rodríguez but even then Pudge was a catcher.

There doesn't seem to be very many pitching legacies, mostly position players.

The only one I can think of that is Dereck Rodríguez but even then Pudge was a catcher.
The one that comes to mind is the Stottlemyre family with the father, Mel, and his 2 sons, Todd and Mel, Jr. Mel was 164-139 in his career, Todd was 138-121, and Mel, Jr. only made it to the majors very briefly and was 0-1, career wise. There are brothers that pitched such as the Perrys, the Niekros, the Deans, the Underwoods, the Weavers, the Reuschels, the Leiters, and the Hernandez and Maddux brothers. There are others. -- Al

The one that comes to mind is the Stottlemyre family with the father, Mel, and his 2 sons, Todd and Mel, Jr. Mel was 164-139 in his career, Todd was 138-121, and Mel, Jr. only made it to the majors very briefly and was 0-1, career wise. There are brothers that pitched such as the Perrys, the Niekros, the Deans, the Underwoods, the Weavers, the Reuschels, the Leiters, and the Hernandez and Maddux brothers. There are others. -- Al

Al:

Cool bit of info, thanks!

-Jason

Two that come to mind are Dizzy and Steve Trout; and Steve (Bedrock) Bedrosian and Cam Bedrosian.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back