2019 Baseball season (6 Viewers)

Cole 18th in MLB history with 300 K's in a season...

Astros also reached 100 wins tonight...

Houston Astros right-hander Gerrit Cole has become the 18th major league pitcher since 1900 to strike out at least 300 batters in a season.

Cole reached the mark in 198⅓ innings. According to Elias Sports Bureau data, that's the second-fewest innings pitched in major league history in a season at the time of a player's 300th strikeout, trailing only Randy Johnson (197⅔ innings in 2001).

Cole 18th in MLB history with 300 K's in a season...

Astros also reached 100 wins tonight...

Houston Astros right-hander Gerrit Cole has become the 18th major league pitcher since 1900 to strike out at least 300 batters in a season.

Cole reached the mark in 198⅓ innings. According to Elias Sports Bureau data, that's the second-fewest innings pitched in major league history in a season at the time of a player's 300th strikeout, trailing only Randy Johnson (197⅔ innings in 2001).

Cole vs. Verlander in the Cy Young race is going to be very interesting...............

The Yankees post season chances may have taken a hit. Domingo German has been placed on domestic violence leave. He was apparently seen in public slapping his girlfriend in the face.

here is the current playoff picture...

I'm an Astro's fan...
so I guess I don't have to say who I want to win...^&grin

Oakland is my dark horse...
they have given both the NNY's and the Astros fits...

of course I'm scared of the Yankees...
so much power on hitting...
but I'm hoping the Astro's will hold on to home field...
which I think will be huge advantage to whoever gets it by basis of their current home/road records...
that plus German being out for the season are the biggest factors...

I really don't watch much of the NL...
except the few interleague game that the Astros have played...
so I guess I'll have to take the Dodgers as the favorite to win the AL...

Attachments

• i.jpg
    i.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 21
Some interesting offensive numbers for the Nats: Rendon and Soto each have 34 with 119 and 107 RBI's, respectively. The Nats 2 catchers have combined for 26 Hrs and 100 RBI's. Since picking up Asdrubal Cabrera on Aug.6, he has played in 31 games for the Nats and has 34 RBI's and is hitting a tick over .300. Part time player 36 year old Howie Kendrick is hitting .345 with 16 Hrs and 61 RBI's. Cabrera and Hendrick have been hugely important in the Nats being contenders. -- Al

here is the current playoff picture...

I'm an Astro's fan...
so I guess I don't have to say who I want to win...^&grin

Oakland is my dark horse...
they have given both the NNY's and the Astros fits...

of course I'm scared of the Yankees...
so much power on hitting...
but I'm hoping the Astro's will hold on to home field...
which I think will be huge advantage to whoever gets it by basis of their current home/road records...
that plus German being out for the season are the biggest factors...

I really don't watch much of the NL...
except the few interleague game that the Astros have played...
so I guess I'll have to take the Dodgers as the favorite to win the AL...
Hey Mike, I see Miley got lit up for the third time in his last 4 starts tonight. Why was he pulled after just one inning? Was it by design, injury, or just because he was bad? His last start before tonight was good so I was thinking he had worked through his problem, but now I am thinking he is just tired out. -- Al

Hey Mike, I see Miley got lit up for the third time in his last 4 starts tonight. Why was he pulled after just one inning? Was it by design, injury, or just because he was bad? His last start before tonight was good so I was thinking he had worked through his problem, but now I am thinking he is just tired out. -- Al

Al...he was just that bad...he took a tremendously fast and brutal beat down again tonight...

the lead off batter...on an 0-2 count...went the yard on the third pitch of the game...it was a very low and very inside pitch pulled to the Crawford boxes...

before he even finished the 1st inning...they had the relief pen loosening up...he finished the first inning down 3-0....

started the second...gave up 2 quick hits...now 9 batter later into the game...with no outs in the second...they pulled him leaving runners on 1st and 3rd...

I know he has struggled greatly in several of his latest start...
but the announcer commented this was his 4th poor outing in a row...

not his third as you said and I thought also...
but his fourth in a row...
I just took it as gospel and never checked that fact...

I have no idea what is going on with him...
he was throwing strikes tonight and just getting blasted...
he is struggling...
his ERA has skyrocketed...
bad time of the year to lose your mojo...^&grin

Al...

I just looked...
you are right...
the announcer was wrong...

he won his last start...with a decent outing...but great...but still a win...he did 6 innings ...gave up 7 hits...2 walks and two RBI's...
of course the 12 runs the Astros scored that night didn't hurt his chances for a win...^&grin

Al...

I just looked...
you are right...
the announcer was wrong...

he won his last start...with a decent outing...but great...but still a win...he did 6 innings ...gave up 7 hits...2 walks and two RBI's...
of course the 12 runs the Astros scored that night didn't hurt his chances for a win...^&grin
Mike, I think Miley is just spent, unless there is a hidden injury involved. At any, as a #4 starter, there is little chance that the Astros will risk giving him a start in the post-season, barring an absolute pitching emergency. He will find himself in the pen, and probably little used. He has had a heck of a year, close to his career best, certainly his best since 2012. -- Al

Mike, I think Miley is just spent, unless there is a hidden injury involved. At any, as a #4 starter, there is little chance that the Astros will risk giving him a start in the post-season, barring an absolute pitching emergency. He will find himself in the pen, and probably little used. He has had a heck of a year, close to his career best, certainly his best since 2012. -- Al

Al...
they don't have a 5th man in the rotation listed...
just Miley...Verlander...Cole and Greinke...
if they remove Miley...
can a team go through the 5-7 game series in the playoffs with just 3 pitchers getting enough rest?

Al...
they don't have a 5th man in the rotation listed...
just Miley...Verlander...Cole and Greinke...
if they remove Miley...
can a team go through the 5-7 game series in the playoffs with just 3 pitchers getting enough rest?
Mike, because of the days off built into the playoff schedule, 3 solid starters are usually enough to get the job done, especially in today's game where starters only go 6 or maybe 7 innings at the most. I'm not saying a 4th starter can't be used, but the top 3 pitchers usually carry the burden in the 5 or 7 games series. Of course, rainouts or delays can mess with the rotation. -- Al

Mike, because of the days off built into the playoff schedule, 3 solid starters are usually enough to get the job done, especially in today's game where starters only go 6 or maybe 7 innings at the most. I'm not saying a 4th starter can't be used, but the top 3 pitchers usually carry the burden in the 5 or 7 games series. Of course, rainouts or delays can mess with the rotation. -- Al

Al...thanks for explaining that...you're like my personal baseball Internet...^&grin...I would feel a lot better about their chances with the top three starters taking all the action...

Well, the Nats September meltdown continues, courtesy of the WORST bullpen in MLB. Nats are 9-11 this month, their 4 game WC lead is gone and they find themselves now tied with the Brewers for WC HFA. The only good thing is that no one but the Brewers has taken advantage of the Nats meltdown as the Cubs have completely collapsed by losing 5 1-run games in a row (6 losses in a row, overall), leaving them as the nearest threat, 4 games back with 6 to play. Mets are 4.5 back and are playing much better than the Cubs. It looks like the Brewers and the Nats for the WC at this point, but I still wouldn't bet the family fortune on the Nats as they are not playing very well and that bullpen continues to sabotage the Nats chances. I read the other night that the Nats ERA in the 8th inning this season is around 6.80! Thank goodness that the Nats offense has been able to outscore it's own bullpen enough times to keep them in the race. -- Al

George Springer did everything he could today to help clinch the AL West for the Astros...
incredible day for him with 3 home runs...

Well, the Nats September meltdown continues, courtesy of the WORST bullpen in MLB. Nats are 9-11 this month, their 4 game WC lead is gone and they find themselves now tied with the Brewers for WC HFA. The only good thing is that no one but the Brewers has taken advantage of the Nats meltdown as the Cubs have completely collapsed by losing 5 1-run games in a row (6 losses in a row, overall), leaving them as the nearest threat, 4 games back with 6 to play. Mets are 4.5 back and are playing much better than the Cubs. It looks like the Brewers and the Nats for the WC at this point, but I still wouldn't bet the family fortune on the Nats as they are not playing very well and that bullpen continues to sabotage the Nats chances. I read the other night that the Nats ERA in the 8th inning this season is around 6.80! Thank goodness that the Nats offense has been able to outscore it's own bullpen enough times to keep them in the race. -- Al

Al...
just outscore them...whatever it takes!

Cubs had a terrible meltdown this weekend, being swept by the Cards. I saw a good part of all those games and nothing went right for them. Kimbrel came in on Saturday to close it out and gave up 2 HRs on the first two pitches he threw. A real kick in the stomach. For those who don’t know Cubs Cards is like Yankees Red Sox or Dodgers Giants. It’s a great rivalry. Before there was expansion, in the Midwest and South, you were either a Cub or Cardinals fan.

Mets had a nice run but will fall short as Brewers have an easy schedule. Even if the Mets went 7-0, it probably wouldn’t be enough. However, it will be a winning season and those are rare enough as it is.

Al...
just outscore them...whatever it takes!
Mike, the thing that worries me is that a team can only get fortunate so many times before the constant pressure finally gets to them and the Nats have been under continuing pressure to outscore their own bullpen for months now. They did really well in June, July, and August but I fear the September swoon is a result of that months long pressure, constantly seeing leads blown and then having to score and score again to overcome the latest hole dug by the bullpen. It wears a team down and I think that's what is happening. -- Al

Mike, the thing that worries me is that a team can only get fortunate so many times before the constant pressure finally gets to them and the Nats have been under continuing pressure to outscore their own bullpen for months now. They did really well in June, July, and August but I fear the September swoon is a result of that months long pressure, constantly seeing leads blown and then having to score and score again to overcome the latest hole dug by the bullpen. It wears a team down and I think that's what is happening. -- Al

Al...

there is nothing as frustrating as feeling you have the game in hand in the late innings....
and then the bullpen takes over...
and immediately blows the lead...
it's heart breaking...
I'm sure every fan has experienced this more than they care...

I feel like the game is almost divided into two parts now days...
the starter plays the first half...
then after 90 pitches or so...
usually in the 6th or 7th maybe 8th inning...
he sits...
lets call that halftime....^&grin
then a new pitcher takes over...
and I too have sat in front of the tv too many times watching this new pitcher give up the lead in a matter of one inning...

on the team hitting...
it seems to go in streaks...
it's like one hot bat lights another...
bat camaraderie...^&confuse...I don't know...
and conversely when they are cold...
they all seem to huddle together hitless...

I wonder if the players in the dugout mumble under their breath...
or even speak out openly when a relief pitchers blows the lead...
especially if he makes a habit of it...

Al...

there is nothing as frustrating as feeling you have the game in hand in the late innings....
and then the bullpen takes over...
and immediately blows the lead...
it's heart breaking...
I'm sure every fan has experienced this more than they care...

I feel like the game is almost divided into two parts now days...
the starter plays the first half...
then after 90 pitches or so...
usually in the 6th or 7th maybe 8th inning...
he sits...
lets call that halftime....^&grin
then a new pitcher takes over...
and I too have sat in front of the tv too many times watching this new pitcher give up the lead in a matter of one inning...

on the team hitting...
it seems to go in streaks...
it's like one hot bat lights another...
bat camaraderie...^&confuse...I don't know...
and conversely when they are cold...
they all seem to huddle together hitless...

I wonder if the players in the dugout mumble under their breath...
or even speak out openly when a relief pitchers blows the lead...
especially if he makes a habit of it...
All I know for sure is that if I was a member of the Nats bullpen, I would not accept any invitations to go fishing with the starting pitchers. The Potomac is a treacherous river...:wink2: -- Al

Nothing left for the Giants to do except keeping the Dodgers from having home field advantage for the World Series. ^&grin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back