2019 Baseball season (6 Viewers)

I just realized that spring training starts in 7 days. Can Harper and Machado remain unsigned much longer?

It seems like multiple sources think Harper will be signing with the Phillies this week.

I'll believe that when I see it!

It seems like multiple sources think Harper will be signing with the Phillies this week.

I'll believe that when I see it!
Depends on the day of the week. Weekends are for the Phillies, Mon-Tues is DC, mid-week he goes to Frisco or SD, Thurs-Fri are Chicago or NY. My guess, he'll sign with...the O's! {eek3} -- Al

Depends on the day of the week. Weekends are for the Phillies, Mon-Tues is DC, mid-week he goes to Frisco or SD, Thurs-Fri are Chicago or NY. My guess, he'll sign with...the O's! {eek3} -- Al

Billy Beane will scoop him up, after all it is a mathematic league now. Then again with California taxes $300 mil is really only $50 mil.......

Finally! MLB network is reporting that the San Diego Padres have signed Manny Machado to a 10 year contract for $300 milion. I would assume that Harper will get similar. Let the flood gates open! -- Al

Harper was said to be close to signing with the Phillies but Harper is now said to be not excited about playing there. He should just go back to the Nationals.

Harper was said to be close to signing with the Phillies but Harper is now said to be not excited about playing there. He should just go back to the Nationals.
That result would certainly be to DC's liking but I don't see how the Nats can afford him at this point, unless there is a lot of deferred money. -- Al

Finally! MLB network is reporting that the San Diego Padres have signed Manny Machado to a 10 year contract for $300 milion. I would assume that Harper will get similar. Let the flood gates open! -- Al

Machado doggin' it in Petco for 10 years.

it will feel like 70.

Machado doggin' it in Petco for 10 years.

it will feel like 70.
Can't see Machado in SD for 10 years. White Sox apparently offered 8 years for $250 mil with incentives and such which would have put the value north of $300 mil. Guess the guaranteed money spoke loudest. Machado will disappear out there. -- Al

Can't see Machado in SD for 10 years. White Sox apparently offered 8 years for $250 mil with incentives and such which would have put the value north of $300 mil. Guess the guaranteed money spoke loudest. Machado will disappear out there. -- Al

I would have thought you could have bought the entire Padres organization for $300 million. That is ridiculous. LA, Boston, and NY maybe, but I don't see how smaller market teams can afford him with their stadiums half empty on most nights. Maybe the TV money?

I would have thought you could have bought the entire Padres organization for $300 million. That is ridiculous. LA, Boston, and NY maybe, but I don't see how smaller market teams can afford him with their stadiums half empty on most nights. Maybe the TV money?

I'm crushed, I wanted him on the Yankees so badly, it would be another A-Roid level albatross contract.

I guess Cashman is not as dumb as he looks (and that's saying something)……………….I'm still holding out hope he'll end up in NY three years from now when the Padres have a fire sale and are looking to dump that contract.

30 million dollars a year is absolute insanity.

Despite the rumors I thought there was no way he would end up there. I don't think San Diego got anymore competitive by spending $300 mil on him.

I’m going to disagree with all of you. He’s one of the top players in the game and very young so he’s going to be paid accordingly. It’s not for me to say whether $30 M is too much. It’s not my money.

The Padres added the Royals 1B last year and although he didn’t have a good year in 2018, I don’t see that happening again. They also have a great farm system, the best in baseball, with supposedly many good prospects. I say supposedly because I haven’t actually looked at their prospects nor am I a Padres fan. I’m just going by what I’ve read. Manny will only make their future brighter. On top of all that, SD is a great place to live. I have been there several times and it’s terrific.

Value of contract notwithstanding, if the Padres aren't competitive, and relatively fast (say within 2-3 seasons), the luster and attendance bounce from the Machado signing will wear off and then the Pads are stuck with a huge contract that they will have to move, probably at a huge loss. I hope it works out for them, but if it doesn't, and being a small market team saddled with that contract, the Pads are in deep doo-doo. -- Al

How many times have these way over the top contracts been given out and then the teams try to unload the player.No one is worth that kind of money for playing a game.Baseball use to be very affordable to go to,now it takes a paycheck.Absolutely ridiculous.My favorite is giving a pitcher in his thirties who just had a career year a 6 year deal worth around 200 million for playing maybe 25 games a year and they don't even complete their games.Again absolutely ridiculous.^&confuse:confused:
Mark

No offense to anyone else but why does anyone care how much anyone gets paid. It’s not your money and not my money. If the Mets want to pay whomever $30 mill per year, it matters not a whit to me. The only thing I care about is if they produce.

I don't question his worth now, I question it 5 years from now. Just about every statistical algorithm shows that hitters begin to decline once they hit 30. Unless you are a roided-out Barry Bonds a 36 year old is not going to be worth $30 mil.

No offense to anyone else but why does anyone care how much anyone gets paid. It’s not your money and not my money. If the Mets want to pay whomever $30 mill per year, it matters not a whit to me. The only thing I care about is if they produce.
It is our money.Who do you think pays for it.Who pays for the tickets,the food,merchandise.They say 75% of the cable bill is to go to these monster contracts between the tv networks and the sports leagues.Who pays for it? WE DO!
Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back