2019 Baseball season (2 Viewers)

It is our money.Who do you think pays for it.Who pays for the tickets,the food,merchandise.They say 75% of the cable bill is to go to these monster contracts between the tv networks and the sports leagues.Who pays for it? WE DO!
Mark

Do you really think ticket sales or concessions, or the prices, will be affected by his signing. Put it another way, if a team doesn’t sign a big time player, prices will go down? I don’t really understand your last sentence. Who is “they” and whose cable bill are you referring to.

Like I said it’s not my money and therefore of no concern to me. If it is of concern to you, then you don’t have to attend a game or watch it on tv.

The cable company is Comcast.They are newspapers,tv mags and so forth.No the prices won't go down (probably will go up) but they started going up when these large contracts started.And no I don't go to games anymore or watch it on tv much.My main interest is Mike Trout as is is a local from where I grew up.But just like you I have a right to voice my opinion.Maybe you got connections and don't have to pay like the rest of us.
Mark

I pay but frankly it’s not that much. I switched to Direct TV because Dish cut out the Mets and the Yankees games. In addition, because my son is an Angels fan we get the MLB package. We can watch any team and all for $200 per year. That’s a steal.

MLB gets money from the networks and it’s that revenue and the revenue from networks that major league teams own like YES and SNY, plus ticket sales that help fund the payroll.

However, since you don’t watch and don’t go to games (unlike me who both watches almost all the games and goes to three or so games a year), why do you even care?

Because I always loved baseball more than anything growing up.Mays,Stargell,Clemente,Cepeda,Robinson,Aaron,all great players that I grew up hoping to be like them (I wasn't :().I remember Dick Allen becoming the first $100,000 player and I was glad for them as they were vastly underpaid back then.The strike really ruined it for me but these outlandish salaries really get to me.I don't blame the players as nobody would turn that money down but when a player has a lousy year and still wants a million or 2 raise and gets it really gets to me.I follow a little more than I admitted in a previous post but it's not the same anymore.
Mark

It's a different game today than it was then. I won't say it's a bad development, just that it's different.

The salaries don't bother me because as I said it's not my money. Moreover, the careers of most athletes are short. I don't begrudge them what they can make, particularly in football. If you have a skill that most of us don't, you should take advantage of that skill to earn as much as you can while you can.

No offense to anyone else but why does anyone care how much anyone gets paid. It’s not your money and not my money. If the Mets want to pay whomever $30 mill per year, it matters not a whit to me. The only thing I care about is if they produce.

Brad,
As Mark pointed out, we pay these moronic contracts with increased ticket prices, concession prices and cable bill prices...………………………….if he got 300 million, what is Betts going to get in two years, 500 million?

And Harper is still sitting out there...…………….wow.

George,

I think I addressed those points so no need for me to “chew my cabbage twice.”

As far as the cable bill, sports is just a small part of it, at least for me.

Brad,
As Mark pointed out, we pay these moronic contracts with increased ticket prices, concession prices and cable bill prices...………………………….if he got 300 million, what is Betts going to get in two years, 500 million?

And Harper is still sitting out there...…………….wow.

And what about Trout in 2020?

I've read articles on why so many have gotten rid of cable and of course for the vast majority it is the cost.I'm talking about Comcast right now and it was said that the high costs (around 75%) are due to the fact that they pay billions to broadcast these games. I've gotten rid of Showtime and Starz and my bill has hardly went down.HBO is gone also after Game of Thrones end.
Mark

I am also a Comcast subscriber and if it weren't for the Mid Atlantic Sports Network that carries the Nats and O's, I would have dumped Comcast years ago. It is just way too expensive and their tiered programming makes it impossible to get any kind of break on price. That said, they are reliable and the best choice for TV viewing in my area. But, as I just said, if it weren't for their MASN coverage, I'd gladly downgrade my viewing choices, and my bill.:rolleyes2: -- Al

Manny Machado got a 10yr $300M contact. Got out from an abysmal team, the O's, and a fortune to boot. Chris

I've read articles on why so many have gotten rid of cable and of course for the vast majority it is the cost.I'm talking about Comcast right now and it was said that the high costs (around 75%) are due to the fact that they pay billions to broadcast these games. I've gotten rid of Showtime and Starz and my bill has hardly went down.HBO is gone also after Game of Thrones end.
Mark

My bill was around 235.00,which I thought was high, then it jumped to 275.00, then 289.00, enough is enough as I stated elsewhere, adios to all those useless movie channels, I'll watch local Boston sports and rent movies off of Netflix for short money...……………...from what I understand, people are bailing out of cable left and right, you can't keep jacking the price and expect people to blindly go along with it...……….

My bill was around 235.00,which I thought was high, then it jumped to 275.00, then 289.00, enough is enough as I stated elsewhere, adios to all those useless movie channels, I'll watch local Boston sports and rent movies off of Netflix for short money...……………...from what I understand, people are bailing out of cable left and right, you can't keep jacking the price and expect people to blindly go along with it...……….
My Comcast bill got to the mid-$250's a year or so ago so I started slashing movie channels to save money. Worked for a while but the inevitable cost increases have me back right now where I was a year ago, less the movie channels I cut. I will be wacking Starz and TMC soon to try to offset the cost increases but that ends my ability to cut cable costs and keep my Nats and O's channels. Further increases could end my association with cable in another year or so. -- Al

Good grief. My Comcast bill never got near $200 but I thought that was outrageous. Fired them 18 months ago, been streaming ever since. Bill is under $100.

I hear the new YouTube channel is pretty good with free recording of shows. I use Sling for live TV plus over the air digital antennae. Works fine, though not as good as Comcast.

Note: I don’t have a landline phone, and internet is via my condo building.

I had it all at one time,all the premium channels,internet,phone but my bill which was under $200 started going up and up and up until it was over $300 so they did cut $25 off plus with what I cut off I got it down to $238.As I said I'm cutting HBO and Cinemax in a couple of months. I've found that I hardly watch that many movies anymore and the premium channels had some pretty good regular series a while back but I only watch Game of Thrones and True Detective now.

I switched to Direct TV about 8 years ago. When I first signed up I got a deal for 2 years at $99 that included just about every channel. When the subscription expired I called to cancel and they offered the same deal again. 2 years after that when it expired I called to see about adding Direct TV to our home in Cali, when I did that they offered to renew my Texas account at the $99 rate. We are coming up on the expiration of both in 2019 so we will see what happens.

According to Bay Area news reports the Giants are close to offering Harper a 10 year deal with the financial terms thought to be around $33 mil per year.

According to Bay Area news reports the Giants are close to offering Harper a 10 year deal with the financial terms thought to be around $33 mil per year.
If true, that sounds like it could be a winner. If Harper goes to the Giants, I won't have to hate him like I will if he goes to Philly or LA.:wink2: -- Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back