2019 Baseball season (7 Viewers)

According to Bay Area news reports the Giants are close to offering Harper a 10 year deal with the financial terms thought to be around $33 mil per year.

Harper to the Phils. I think that is break for everyone else. These massive, long-term contracts are death. He maybe has a couple of good seasons and then gets hurt or goes into a funk. Too much to invest in one player. Philly is a good place for him. The fans will be calling for his blood if he doesn't hit ten HRs every game.

Like I have said all along:

If the Giants had signed him then I would have said he is the greatest player since Babe Ruth. Since they did not, I think he is terrible and a huge waste of money. ^&grin

Boo! Now I have to hate him. Philly? What a bummer. Well at least he's not going to break the Nat's bank. Philly pays $330 mil for 13 years! Good grief, MLB has lost it's mind. -- Al

13 years at $25 mil per year? It is really more like 6 years at $55 mil per year. Harper will be 32 by then and his numbers will begin to fade and he will not be worth anywhere near what they are paying him.

I'm betting that someone on the Phillies sees the coming of the universal DH and figured the last 5 years of the Harper contract can be hidden in the DH position. At least, I'm guessing that's what they hope.:rolleyes2: -- Al

I'm betting that someone on the Phillies sees the coming of the universal DH and figured the last 5 years of the Harper contract can be hidden in the DH position. At least, I'm guessing that's what they hope.:rolleyes2: -- Al

Al:

If there ever is a DH in the NL I bet Posey lives out his days as a Giant in that spot!

On another note, I truly think the Nats are better off without Harper. If they can stay healthy and get some decent pitching from a number 4 or 5 starter they have a great shot at making the playoffs and beyond.

-Jason

Al:

If there ever is a DH in the NL I bet Posey lives out his days as a Giant in that spot!

On another note, I truly think the Nats are better off without Harper. If they can stay healthy and get some decent pitching from a number 4 or 5 starter they have a great shot at making the playoffs and beyond.

-Jason
Jason, the Harper drama was all anyone talked about this off-season but the Nats have always operated as if Harper was history once he turned down their end of season $300 mil, 10 year offer. This is because the Nats have, or had, an overcrowded outfield if Harper had stayed. With Harper gone, the outfield will fall nicely into place and not necessitate position and playing time problems. You are right about the #4 and #5 SP positions. I'm not at all sure Sanchez and Hellickson can repeat last season's success and if they don't...:rolleyes2: -- Al

Jason, the Harper drama was all anyone talked about this off-season but the Nats have always operated as if Harper was history once he turned down their end of season $300 mil, 10 year offer. This is because the Nats have, or had, an overcrowded outfield if Harper had stayed. With Harper gone, the outfield will fall nicely into place and not necessitate position and playing time problems. You are right about the #4 and #5 SP positions. I'm not at all sure Sanchez and Hellickson can repeat last season's success and if they don't...:rolleyes2: -- Al

Some baseball analysts feel like the Mets and Nats improved more than the Phils via their numerous (small)moves, even with the Harper deal.

Things are not exactly looking up for the Giants after losing out on Harper. Now their CEO body slammed his wife and took her cell phone. All on video. I'm sure he regrets his actions...

Things are not exactly looking up for the Giants after losing out on Harper. Now their CEO body slammed his wife and took her cell phone. All on video. I'm sure he regrets his actions...

The organization is in a bit of a tail-spin. The front office now feels like they were being used by Boras to get Philly to up their offer on Harper. Fans on the other hand are clamoring that the team has not done anything this off-season. Posey, their lone star will be 31 this year and he is coming off of major surgery. Then their is their CEO Larry Baer who took a leave of absence today in order to deal with the fallout from physical altercation between him and his wife that was captured on video.

All in all, not the best way to go into 2019, which is also the farewell year for manager Bruce Bochy.

The Giants spring training just gets better by the day:

Their "big" off-season acquisition, Cameron Maybin (signed to a minor league deal), was arrested for DUI on Friday.

People forget that the Phils got McCutchen,Realmuto,and Segura also.
Mark
As a Nats fan, I am all too aware of the many additions the Phillies have made. They will be extremely dangerous. -- Al

MLB does have a sense of humor, Part 1: Boston RHP Steven Wright has been suspended for 80 games for testing positive for HGH. Wright is a knuckleball pitcher. What was he trying to do, make his pitch go slower? -- Al

Offensively, the Phillies have improved and they will do well at Citizens Bank Park. The question mark for them is their pitching, both starters and bullpen. Robertson is an upgrade but as a closer I'm not sure; in the last few years he's gone from closer to setup man to 7th inning pitcher.

On the other hand, the Nats improved their starting pitching and have a strong pen, the Braves are strong in both areas and the Mets were and are strong in the starting rotation and significantly improved their pen, at least on paper.

The Phillies probably don't have any money left but what about Keichel. He's still out there as is Gio, a very serviceable starter.

Yes that is the main concern of the Phillies as their pitching collapsed last year.
Mark

Offensively, the Phillies have improved and they will do well at Citizens Bank Park. The question mark for them is their pitching, both starters and bullpen. Robertson is an upgrade but as a closer I'm not sure; in the last few years he's gone from closer to setup man to 7th inning pitcher.

On the other hand, the Nats improved their starting pitching and have a strong pen, the Braves are strong in both areas and the Mets were and are strong in the starting rotation and significantly improved their pen, at least on paper.

The Phillies probably don't have any money left but what about Keichel. He's still out there as is Gio, a very serviceable starter.
With pitching being so big a part of the game, I find it shocking that so many good pitchers sit unsigned at this point, especially such LHP's such as Gio and Keuchel. I actually would have been happy to see Gio back in a Nats uniform rather than a couple of the signings they made as SP's. A lot of talent is unemployed right now. -- Al

Interesting response from the Giants as to why Harper did not sign with them. According to the front office, Boras did not want him to sign with a California team due to the high state taxes. This was confirmed recently when Boras said that if Harper signed the same Philly contract with a California team the taxes would have been the equivalent of one years salary of the whole $330 mil deal.

Saw the news today that Tom Seaver has been diagnosed with dementia.

This makes me sad.

When the Red Sox got Seaver in 1986, he did a nice job for us, then he got hurt.

Had he not gotten hurt, he would have started game 3 of the WS instead of the corpse of Al Nipper.

I'll go to my grave thinking he wins game 3 and the Sox win the series in 5, there would never have been an infamous game 6.

Two losses I'll never, ever get over; losing the 1986 World Series to the Mets and losing the 2008 Super Bowl to the Giants.

It always comes back to teams from New York.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back