2019 Baseball season (9 Viewers)

That’s a historical observation of their history and playoff history. How many teams have comparable or worse records. Quite a few. From 2002 on they have appeared in the post season seven times, which is better than many teams such as the Mets and better than your teams, I believe. The track record of what happened before Trout arrived seems irrelevant. Granted, they have made some bad mistakes like signing Josh Hamilton and posted some poor records but there is some hope there.

By the way, during some of Trout’s years, they had some good starting pitching and relief pitching but the end result wasn’t there, unfortunately. They have made the commitment but it hasn’t always panned out.
Of course it's an historical observation. If you want to go only on the basis of their years with Trout, then the Angels look even worse. I hope they can get it together. The Angels could start with an available FA pitcher like Keuchel. Granted, he may not be what he was a couple of years ago, but he would be an improvement on what the Angels seem to have now. Now that Trout is committed, the window is open... -- Al

I think Trout made a mistake and could have gotten more in a couple of years going with a contending team.I know turning down 430 million would seem crazy and would be for any of us but we are talking about one of the best players to ever put on a uniform.I just don't see the Angels putting it all together,if anything it seems like they get worse each year. Of course all this goes for naught if he got a career ending injury.
Mark

P.S.
He would look great in a Phillies uniform.^&grin^&grin

Of course it's an historical observation. If you want to go only on the basis of their years with Trout, then the Angels look even worse. I hope they can get it together. The Angels could start with an available FA pitcher like Keuchel. Granted, he may not be what he was a couple of years ago, but he would be an improvement on what the Angels seem to have now. Now that Trout is committed, the window is open... -- Al

The only thing you can go on is their years with Trout. For example, should we judge the Nats on their combined Expos Nats history? Of course not. You can only judge the present regime. In the Angels case, it’s been a mixed record, some up, some down. Some of their problems were exacerbated by the iron control Sciosia had but he’s gone now and it’s a new era. Didn’t know you were such an Angels fan :wink2:

I can't get past their changing their names to the Los Angeles Angels. Somewhat repetitive. I will always think of them as the California Angels or team whose only player I can remember is Nolan Ryan. Same for the Astros and Rangers. Poor Nolan played for some awful teams in his illustrious career. A man among boys.

The only thing you can go on is their years with Trout. For example, should we judge the Nats on their combined Expos Nats history? Of course not. You can only judge the present regime. In the Angels case, it’s been a mixed record, some up, some down. Some of their problems were exacerbated by the iron control Sciosia had but he’s gone now and it’s a new era. Didn’t know you were such an Angels fan :wink2:
I used to follow the pitchers of the early teams, like Dean Chance, Clyde Wright, Andy Messersmith, and, of course, Nolan Ryan, (and I even remember Bo Belinsky). Always liked their pitching way back when. I really would like to see them do well for Trout's sake. He deserves a winning team. -- Al

I can't get past their changing their names to the Los Angeles Angels. Somewhat repetitive. I will always think of them as the California Angels or team whose only player I can remember is Nolan Ryan. Same for the Astros and Rangers. Poor Nolan played for some awful teams in his illustrious career. A man among boys.
Ryan is a true freak of nature and I thought it a thrill whenever I could see him pitch. Always the possibility of a gem, be it a no-hitter, low-hitter, or high K game. I mean, the man threw 7 no-hitters and 12 1-hitters. He was still an effective pitcher until the day he retired at age 46 in 1993. Hard to believe he's been out that long. Seems like yesterday. Always followed him from his early days with the Mets until the last days in Texas. To your point about his playing on some bad teams, he pitched 27 years, won 324 games, but lost 292 games. Pitched 27 years and was only 32 wins over .500, a sad truth. It was a joy to watch him. -- Al

Just because you have the best player in baseball doesn't mean you will automatically win championships.

For years the Giants had Bonds and they never won a Word Series. He retires and within a couple of years the championships started rolling in.

That's baseball................

Just because you have the best player in baseball doesn't mean you will automatically win championships.

For years the Giants had Bonds and they never won a Word Series. He retires and within a couple of years the championships started rolling in.

That's baseball................
Learned that lesson in the 60's when the Giants should have won a fist full of championships, but it was not to be. Always the bridesmaid...:( -- Al

Trout may be the best paid player in MLB but players in other sports dwarf his salary.

Mike Trout Received a Huge Payday. But Others Still Dwarf Him

He will earn a drop in the bucket of what Messi, who plays for Barcelona in La Liga, makes. Stephen Curry of the Warriors and James Harden of the Rockets make more and I don't hear anybody complaining about those salaries.

Ryan is a true freak of nature and I thought it a thrill whenever I could see him pitch. Always the possibility of a gem, be it a no-hitter, low-hitter, or high K game. I mean, the man threw 7 no-hitters and 12 1-hitters. He was still an effective pitcher until the day he retired at age 46 in 1993. Hard to believe he's been out that long. Seems like yesterday. Always followed him from his early days with the Mets until the last days in Texas. To your point about his playing on some bad teams, he pitched 27 years, won 324 games, but lost 292 games. Pitched 27 years and was only 32 wins over .500, a sad truth. It was a joy to watch him. -- Al

He was a beast. I bet he can still throw the old speedball by them to paraphrase Bruce Springsteen. If he had played on many good teams, he might have won 500 games. Only a few in his league like maybe Bob Gibson.

I will take the opposite tack. He was a 500 pitcher. He had some great gifts and amazing accomplishments but basically a 500 pitcher.

I will take the opposite tack. He was a 500 pitcher. He had some great gifts and amazing accomplishments but basically a 500 pitcher.
So the record shows and proves, but he was still a 'must see'. Besides, he owns membership in the 69 'Miracle Mets' club.:wink2:^&grin -- Al

He wasn’t a major contributor to 69 although his trade ranks as one of the worst ever.

In my opinion, he shouldn’t have been elected.

Let me just add that he had some significant accomplishments like his no hitters and he won over 300 games. Just the last feat alone — which is not easy — will get you in the Hall. Still, he was barely above 500.

Let me just add that he had some significant accomplishments like his no hitters and he won over 300 games. Just the last feat alone — which is not easy — will get you in the Hall. Still, he was barely above 500.

Seems to me the W/L stat for pitchers is a poor one. The pitcher has no control over how many runs his team scores. Losing 1-0 counts the same as losing 7-0, but the first pitcher is probably the better talent. Aren’t stats like strikeouts and number of home runs given up better, as at least a pitcher has significant influence over these. However the quality of the defense behind him, and even the pitcher friendly nature, or not, of his own ballpark also influence his stats. If a guy can last long enough to get decisions on 600 ball games, I’d venture he has to be an exceptional player almost regardless of W-L record.

Last year's Cy Young award winner Jacob deGrom is a great example of how meaningless wins and losses can be when it comes to pitchers.

Good lord, if Ryan doesn't belong in the HoF, there are dozens of others that don't belong. Ryan had 7 no-hitters, 12 1-hitters, owns the all-time strikeout record, led his league in K's 11 times, owns the all-time lowest hits per inning allowed record, was an 8 time All-Star, garnered MVP votes 7 times, Cy Young Award votes 8 times, pitched 5386 innings, going over 200 innings 14 times, won way over 100 games in each league, had 61 career shutouts, and had 222 complete games. I mean, if Ryan doesn't deserve the HoF, the whole concept of the HoF needs to be torn down and restarted from scratch. Just as a matter of fact, Ryan was voted into the HoF on 98.79% of the ballots, so someone felt he deserved to be there. -- Al

Just in case anyone missed it, Seattle beat Oakland 9-7 in Tokyo to open up the 2019 MLB season. Play Ball! Banzai! -- Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back