2019 Baseball season (5 Viewers)

He was and always will be The Franchise, a person who along with Gil turned the team around. He hated the term “Amazing Mets” because there was nothing amazing about their victory, just a bunch of great and good ball players.

Fate had a hand in preventing him from pitching against the Mets in 86. The baseball gods wouldn’t allow it. He had a contentious history with the Mets after he was run out of town and it’s believed the Mets weren’t that upset to see him leave the second time. The fans thought it was a big mistake however and eventually things were psyched up.

Along with Casey Stengel and Gil, they are the only numbers the Mets have retired.

The above should have read "patched up," not "psyched up." Also Piazza's number has been retired along with Casey, Gil and Tom Seaver.

Far beit from me to question the Giants GM, Farhan Zaidi, but as far as the Giants' 2019 roster goes I think he is a bit of an optimist. He has been quoted as saying that he actually feels good about his roster, particularly the pitching staff.

Wait, what?

The Diamondbacks just got a steal. Signed Adam Jones to a 1 year, $3 mil contract. Quite a falloff for Jones who made over $17 mil with the O's last year. No market for 30+ year old outfielders. -- Al

The Diamondbacks just got a steal. Signed Adam Jones to a 1 year, $3 mil contract. Quite a falloff for Jones who made over $17 mil with the O's last year. No market for 30+ year old outfielders. -- Al

Al-

Agreed. Even if he only hits 15 hrs and with over 60 RBI's (like he did in 2018) at $3 mil he is a steal in today's baseball market.

-Jason

Trout getting a $430 million/12 year deal. Unreal.
Probably the one guy in all of MLB that might be worth that kind of unbelievable contract. The Angels have their man, now what can they afford to put in the field around him to make them all winners? -- Al

I think it is great that Trout is staying with one team for his career, however, I think he has tied himself to a mediocre team that will never be a consistent post-season threat. Time will tell. -- Al

I think it is great that Trout is staying with one team for his career, however, I think he has tied himself to a mediocre team that will never be a consistent post-season threat. Time will tell. -- Al

And the basis for your statement is?

I like the fact that he is staying with the same team. It is obviously great for the Angels and for baseball in general. He is a great centerpiece and the marquee player in MLB. Plus it saves us from the prolonged drama of his free agency.

On the other hand, the Angels have only been to the post-season once since his arrival in 2011 and that was 5 years ago in 2014. They clearly need to make some more moves.

Yes, they need to make some moves but they also have some good prospects in the farm system. I don’t think Trout would have resigned without an expectation that the team would have to improve itself because he had been making some comments to that effect.

From 2011-2019 the Angels have been in the top 10 payrolls in MLB, ranging anywhere from the 4th highest to the 8th highest. They are clearly willing to spend money, they just need to spend a little wiser.

I like the fact that he is staying with the same team. It is obviously great for the Angels and for baseball in general. He is a great centerpiece and the marquee player in MLB. Plus it saves us from the prolonged drama of his free agency.

On the other hand, the Angels have only been to the post-season once since his arrival in 2011 and that was 5 years ago in 2014. They clearly need to make some more moves.

Yes, I like to see players stay put but that is ridiculous money. The Angles attendance averages around 3 million per year. At $25 per ticket, they would have to sell approximately 17.2 million tickets just to pay Trout's salary. Or approximately entire ticket sales for the next six years. For one player!

And the basis for your statement is?
The team's record. One WS appearance in the 58 year history of the franchise, in 2002. Only 10 playoff appearances in the 58 years, and only 1 appearance in the 8 years with Trout, and they got swept in that one. I'm just saying the track record doesn't inspire confidence. Time will tell if the Angels can build around Trout or if the mediocrity continues. Some commitment to good pitching would help. -- Al

The team's record. One WS appearance in the 58 year history of the franchise, in 2002. Only 10 playoff appearances in the 58 years, and only 1 appearance in the 8 years with Trout, and they got swept in that one. I'm just saying the track record doesn't inspire confidence. Time will tell if the Angels can build around Trout or if the mediocrity continues. Some commitment to good pitching would help. -- Al

2002, not a good WS memory for me. :(

Yes, I like to see players stay put but that is ridiculous money. The Angles attendance averages around 3 million per year. At $25 per ticket, they would have to sell approximately 17.2 million tickets just to pay Trout's salary. Or approximately entire ticket sales for the next six years. For one player!

I'd buy a ticket to see Trout play.

That’s a historical observation of their history and playoff history. How many teams have comparable or worse records. Quite a few. From 2002 on they have appeared in the post season seven times, which is better than many teams such as the Mets and better than your teams, I believe. The track record of what happened before Trout arrived seems irrelevant. Granted, they have made some bad mistakes like signing Josh Hamilton and posted some poor records but there is some hope there.

By the way, during some of Trout’s years, they had some good starting pitching and relief pitching but the end result wasn’t there, unfortunately. They have made the commitment but it hasn’t always panned out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back