2019 Baseball season (2 Viewers)

I stand corrected. I’m not a big fan of an expanded format but its use in future years will require the Union’s approval. In addition, the doubleheader format may not survive because relief pitchers are concerned that its continued use may affect their jobs.

Very true, the Union has to approve it.

IMO, I assume they'd be all for it as it would mean more playoff games, more playoff share money, more money for the owners to use to pay free agents idiotic contracts, I can't see why the Union would have an issue with it.

Wait until the first 100 plus winning team gets knocked out a best 2 out of 3 to a sub 500 team....................

The playoffs in a bubble will be interesting.

The one thing that has separated baseball from the other 4 major sports is that home field is literately an advantage considering each team plays in a home park with unique dimensions and fence alignments/shapes A basketball court, football field and hockey rink all share the same sizes and shapes throughout their respective leagues.

The playoffs in a bubble will be interesting.

The one thing that has separated baseball from the other 4 major sports is that home field is literately an advantage considering each team plays in a home park with unique dimensions and fence alignments/shapes A basketball court, football field and hockey rink all share the same sizes and shapes throughout their respective leagues.

Too bad for the Yankees once they get to the World Series; no 260 foot home runs to right..................

I don’t how many of you subscribe to The Athletic but Ken Rosenthal had an interesting article this morning, which I reproduce in part:

Anyone with a feel for baseball knows the format of the expanded postseason in 2020 makes no sense long-term. The flawed, makeshift 16-team tournament is a one-off, a device to create excitement at the end of a 60-game regular season, one of many adjustments to the game stemming from the COVID-19 pandemic.

So, when commissioner Rob Manfred said in an online event through Hofstra University’s business school that he was a “fan of the expanded playoffs,” he was not necessarily endorsing the precise format we will see next month, the one that, according to Dodgers manager Dave Roberts, has a “non-existent” benefit for division winners.

Manfred also was not specifically talking about a 16-team field, considering Major League Baseball’s pre-pandemic idea was for 14 teams.

And he definitely was not speaking with complete authority, knowing the Players Association must agree to any permanent change in the postseason. The union does not currently favor the idea, in part because of concerns that easier paths to the playoffs would disincentivize competition and reduce spending on player salaries. Many players opposed expanding from 10 to 16 teams even in this unprecedented season, and ultimately approved a plan only for 2020, not ’21.

Really, then, there is no need to overreact to Manfred’s comments, particularly when they are considered in full context. What he said should merely be a springboard for further discussion between the league and union, if not this offseason then in the next collective-bargaining negotiations, with the current deal expiring on Dec. 1, 2021.

Oh goodie, so 14 teams, not 16.

What difference does it make.

And oh goodie part II; the Gashouse Gorillas, winners of 8 strait and mashing the baseball now that Mongo and Quasimodo are back, stampede into Boston for a weekend bludgeoning of the Red Sox, another September Boston Massacre, can't wait...............just punch these *******s tickets to the WS already and get it over with, who in the AL has a prayer of beating them, talk about anticlimactic....................

At some point MLB needs to stop trying to change everything and let the game speak for itself.

I'm thinking Nats manager Davey Martinez has badly miscalculated this season. In 2019, he managed the Nats to a 19-31 start in the first 50 games, then got hot over the last 112 games and won the WS. It worked so well that he evidently wanted to do it again. After game 50 this season, the Nats are the same 19-31. The only problem being, and it is a rather big problem, is that there are only 10 games left to turn it all around, get hot and win the WS again. Oops. Like I say, miscalculated.:mad: -- Al

I'm thinking Nats manager Davey Martinez has badly miscalculated this season. In 2019, he managed the Nats to a 19-31 start in the first 50 games, then got hot over the last 112 games and won the WS. It worked so well that he evidently wanted to do it again. After game 50 this season, the Nats are the same 19-31. The only problem being, and it is a rather big problem, is that there are only 10 games left to turn it all around, get hot and win the WS again. Oops. Like I say, miscalculated.:mad: -- Al

He won the WS last year so he gets a pass fo this year, plus this year is a very odd year, to say the least. If next year has some degree of regularity — a big if — then he’s on the hot seat if they start out poorly.

He won the WS last year so he gets a pass fo this year, plus this year is a very odd year, to say the least. If next year has some degree of regularity — a big if — then he’s on the hot seat if they start out poorly.
I agree. He gets a pass for 2020, but the trend is disturbing in terms of his managerial ability. He took over in 2018 with a team that had finished 1st in 2017. The 2018 Nats finished a very mediocre 82-80, no playoffs. Then he goes 19-31 to start 2019, before the Nats caught fire over the last 112 games. Now here in 2020, the Nats are 19-31 again. Outside of that 112 game stretch in 2019, Martinez has been very unimpressive in his 3 (2 real, 1 ***) seasons. I think a slow start in 2021 could prove fatal if it goes as far as 50 games again. -- Al

It would probably be fatal but I’ll trade places with you any time to have that championship!

I think Verlander is done. Tommy John urgery at 37 is a lot to come back from.
I find myself wondering why the man just doesn't walk away on top. It's not like he needs the money. Why put yourself through all the grief trying to comeback at his age? Time to move on and enjoy yourself. -- Al

I find myself wondering why the man just doesn't walk away on top. It's not like he needs the money. Why put yourself through all the grief trying to comeback at his age? Time to move on and enjoy yourself. -- Al

Al:

Good point. He is 8th in all-time baseball earnings at $259 mil.

-Jason

In 2018 Jake Arrieta was upset about the fact that he was not offered more money in free agency. In the end he received a 3 year $75 mil contract from the Phillies.

Yesterday it was announced that due to elbow discomfort he was done with the 2020 season.

For 3 years and $75 mil the Phillies got a record of 22-23. Or better yet, they paid $3.4 mil for each of his wins and $3.2 mil for each loss.

When he was a free agent the Giants were a favorite to sign him. I guess, every once in a while you dodge a bullet....

In 2018 Jake Arrieta was upset about the fact that he was not offered more money in free agency. In the end he received a 3 year $75 mil contract from the Phillies.

Yesterday it was announced that due to elbow discomfort he was done with the 2020 season.

For 3 years and $75 mil the Phillies got a record of 22-23. Or better yet, they paid $3.4 mil for each of his wins and $3.2 mil for each loss.

When he was a free agent the Giants were a favorite to sign him. I guess, every once in a while you dodge a bullet....
Arrieta has been one of those pitchers I have always kept my eye on. He is owner of a terrible trend. Since winning the Cy Young in 2015, his win total has fallen each year, while his ERA has gone up each year. In 2015 he went 22-6 with a 1.77; 2016 18-8 and 3.10; 2017 14-10 and 3.53; 2018 10-11 and 3.96; 2019 8-8 and 4.64; 2020 4-4 and 5.08. His fall off is incredibly consistent and constant, all trending in the wrong direction. Also includes his WHIP, which has risen each year and his strikeout total, which has fallen each year. Numbers just don't lie. Terrible signing. -- Al

Sometimes where you are can make the difference. Perhaps the pitching coach and the atmosphere in Chicago engendered success. I remember Jeff Weaver found a little success with the Cardinals and then moved on instead of staying there. Didn’t do as well after that.

Sometimes where you are can make the difference. Perhaps the pitching coach and the atmosphere in Chicago engendered success. I remember Jeff Weaver found a little success with the Cardinals and then moved on instead of staying there. Didn’t do as well after that.
Change of scenery has made a difference for a lot of players, but Arrieta has been on a constant downward slide since his award year in 2015. It looks like the innings/wear and tear caught up to him. Sorry to see it as I like him. -- Al

Al & Brad:

Great thoughts on the demise of Arrieta. As I mentioned the story caught my eye due to the fact that the Giants were very close to signing him.

Things haven’t gone well with their recent big pitching acquisitions of Cueto and Samardzija. Arrieta would have simply added to that list.

-Jason

I know you have to have top notch pitching and quality pitchers are rare but I just don't think it is worth the money they pay them for 25-30 games a year.A lot of pitchers have a career year or 2 and they are already in their 30's and very rarely do they stand up to the hype.I know the owners know the economics much better than I do but it doesn't seem that they get money's worth.
Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back